Anna has become the dominant form of the Ann family, having been firmly in the Top 25 for years and only slipping in the past couple years. Anna offers a touch of the exotic and a bit more style than the oversimplified Ann, used for generations throughout Europe, from Russia to Italy, Spain to Romania--it is still Number 2 in Hungary and Austria, Number 4 in the Netherlands and Number 8 in Norway.
. Classic and simple, Anna would be an excellent choice for parents in search of a name that will bridge two different cultures, say Jewish and Italian.
In literature, Anna is associated with Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Three current bearers are actresses Anna Kendrick, Anna Friel and Anna Paquin.
Anya takes it more into the territory of the exotic.
Lists containing Anna:
- International Variations of Ann
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- The Exoticizer
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- A+ Baby Names
- Bible Names for Girls
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Romantic Baby Names for Girls
- Beatles Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names