Anna has become the dominant form of the Ann family, having been firmly in the Top 25 for years and just now slipping. Anna offers a touch of the exotic and a bit more style than the oversimplified Ann, used for generations throughout Europe, from Russa to Italy, Spain to Romania--it is still the top name in Austria, Number 2 in Hungary and Number 3 in Denmark.
. Classic and simple, Anna would be an excellent choice for parents in search of a name that will bridge two different cultures, say Jewish and Italian.
In literature, Anna is associated with Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Two current bearers are actresses Anna Kendrick, Anna Friel and Anna Paquin.
Anya takes it more into the territory of the exotic.
Lists containing Anna:
- Ann's International Variations
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- The Exoticizer
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Perennially Popular Girl Baby Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Biblical Baby Names for Girls
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Romantic Baby Names for Girls
- Beatles Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names