This neglected Biblical name--it was the name of the commander of Saul's army and appears twice in the New Testament--is ready to flee Dogpatch. It was regularly used in the nineteenth century, but was pretty much demolished by the long-running hillbilly comic strip L'il Abner, which began in 1934 and ran through 1977. A more respectable namesake is Abner Doubleday, who has been credited with inventing baseball.
Lists containing Abner:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Clunky but Cool Names for Boys
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Aaron, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Colonial Craftsmen Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Biblical Baby Names for Boys