This neglected Biblical name--it was the name of the commander of Saul's army and appears twice in the New Testament--is ready to flee Dogpatch. It was regularly used in the nineteenth century, but was pretty much demolished by the long-running hillbilly comic strip L'il Abner, which began in 1934 and ran through 1977. A more respectable namesake is Abner Doubleday, who has been credited with inventing baseball.
Abner also has literary credentials, having appeared in works by James Fenimore Cooper, Thomas Hardy and Eugene O'Neill.
Lists containing Abner:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Aaron, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Colonial Craftsmen Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- 100+ Classic Boys’ Names — below the Top 1000