Abel, the name of Adam and Eve's unfortunate younger son, compensates with positive connotations: capable, competent, ready and willing.
Abel has literary connections to the novels of Dickens and Trollope, and is also one of the few well-known Old Testament names not plagued by overuse. Having been chosen recently for their second son by Amy Pohler and Will Arnett could give it a real popularity bounce.
Abel's ranking at Number 179 on the Most Popular list--the highest it has been since records have been kept--could be due to its popularity in the Hispanic community, where it is pronounced ah-BELL, as it is in France.
Abel's namesakes include two movie directors, Abel Gance and Abel Ferrara.
Lists containing Abel:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- If You Like Aaron, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Colonial Craftsmen Names
- Dutch Baby Names for Boys
- Boy Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Early African-American Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Saints' Names For Boys