Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heads or Tails?

Heads or Tails?

What are some odd ways parents choose baby names? I know my uncle's name was chosen by my grandparents literally picking it out of a hat. What about when you can't decide between two names? Flip a coin? Consult a magic eight ball? Skim through a magazine and choose whatever word your finger lands on? We'd love to hear your stories!

Re: Heads or Tails?

We write them down. Hundreds of times. Somehow that helps solidify a choice for us. I've started going to http://www.finestationery.com because there you can try out a name on anything they've got offered, which is awesomely cool. But yeah, that's how we narrow them down, determine what goes together and which ranks what on our lists. The more fun we have writing it out is a plus too, since you do end up writing their name out fairly frequently over the first 20 years.
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com

My niece was named after her mother was flipping through the magazine and saw a model named Paige. Yet, my nephew got his first and middle names from both his grandfathers. it's kind of funny when you compare one method to another. I wonder how many others are out there.

My British sister in law Joanne was named for a character in an American detective story. It's pronounced Jo Anne. My dad tricked my mom with my brother's name. She liked the name Thomas so they agreed on that for the first name. His middle name is our dad's middle name--Aubry (misspelled, our dad's is Aubrey). Our mom thought there were no Thomases in our family (for the first name she didn't want him named after anybody). Turns out my dad's favorite cousin was Thomas Aubrey. My mom didn't know that because he was always called "T. A.".

My sister was going to be either Kimberly or Kayla, and my parents asked me which I liked best (I was 2 at the time). I guess I said Kimberly, although I don't recall this, and so, her name is Kimberly!