Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I don't care for Crosby at all- it's too "last name-y" for my taste.

Other Irish names to consider (sorry for any duplicates):
    Kellan
    Keegan
    Killian
    Connor
    Liam
    Ian
    Kelly
    Eamon
    Finn
    Padraig

I have a two year old Maeve as well, and when it is paired with Josephine it is absolutely stunning. I also love the name August for a boy - it is a top contender! It's interesting, but familiar; strong, yet charming.

Although I love Irish names, I feel like they are either very trendy here or they tend to be a bit out there and, in my taste, un-usable. So all the Irish names that pop into my head are fairly common (think variations of Finn). August is just too good to shrug off in my opinion because of a hypothetical problem with the nickname.

What do you think of the suggestions so far? Just to get an idea if August is definitely in or if you're leaning towards another name.

I don't think that Crosby will be taken as a single-pop-culture reference because of the Dax Shepherd character. If anything, I think it gives an additional reference to balance out Bing Crosby, who for decades has really been people's only association with that name. I think Crosby and Maeve make for a nice duo, and I don't see anything folksy about Crosby, even though there are other names I like better.

August is nice but I see it so much that it doesn't thrill me. It's currently #333 on the Social Security charts, shooting up from the 600s in just five years. I think that one will likely prove too trendy for your taste.

Rory is adorable, but I agree, if it's always going to be Rah-ree, that's a disappointment. I think maybe you should consider some more obscure Irish names.

How about...
    Cagney
    Cormac
    Carbry
    Quillan

I think Riordan suggested by a pp is really great, too. None of these names has ranked in the Top Thousand in the last twelve years. They would easily go with the classic middle names from your family tree, too.
    My March arrival:
    Dulcinea Tesla
    We call her Daisy
    in honor of my mom.

I love Crosby, but depending on how popular hockey is in your area, it may be taken as a nod to Sidney Crosby than to Crosby Braverman or Bing Crosby.

My personal choice for you would be August Christopher. It's a fantastic name, with the possibility of Gus if you want a nickname, but short enough that you can still use August most of the time.

I second another poster's suggestion of Eamon, which is Irish but without (significant) pronunciation issues, and it's not popular.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I think August is a strong and handsome choice and if you have a future daughter named Maeve they would go well together. You don't have to call him Gus if you don't want to. As a Canadian, my first thought regarding Crosby was hockey player Sidney Crosby (second would be Bing). Crosby is too surname-y for me. Rory is juvenile and Merit doesn't excite me. My second and third choices would be Dexter and George..

Other Celtic Names

Cormac
    Lorcan
    Tadhg
    Desmond
    Donovan
    Malachy
    Phelimy
    Faolan/Phelan
    Fingal
    Sullivan
    Tynan