Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me find Magnificent non -ia/-a Names!

Hey Everyone,
    I could use some help finding non -ia/ -a names to really love. Having my top girls names mostly end in -ia/-a feeling a little lazy and stagnant for me. My problem is I really love these.

I have really only one rule: It needs to sound similar or at least good in English, German and Spanish as FH and I have a trilingual household. (So no J- names).

Any suggestion would be LOVED!!!! Esp if you can think of a variant or something similar as a replacement. (IE: I discovered Aurelia while looking for an Aurora replacement when I discovered how popular she was becoming. I ADORE Aurelia and would totally pick her over Aurora in a heartbeat).

Here are my current favorites: (* my top 5)
    Aurelia - Aurora - Elva/Elvira? - Endora** - Illyria* - Lorelei** - Merida* - Ofelia* - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Wisteria

PS: Not pregnant, just wedding planning and dreaming of what to name our future little ones!!!
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

Maybe...
    Anastasie
    Margaret
    Indigo
    Thistle
    Amethyst
    Rue
    Celeste
    Esther
    Alice
    Luz
    Lourdes
    Emily

I'm only English-French multilingual, so I'm not sure how these would work in an English-German-Spanish household.

I fancy these: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Indie Nell

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas  

Are you opposed to the written -ia/-a ending or the sound? Because a lot of names that don't end in those letters will still have that pronunciation in German. We're also a bilingual household (quadrilingual among grandparents) German-English and looking through my list almost all of our girls names end with -ia/-a pronunciation. In addition to "j" names, you should also probaby avoid anything with "th" or "w" - those can be difficult in German.

Some suggestions:

Ariadne
    Ottilie/Ottoline
    Isolde
    Circe
    Anais
    Anouk
    Fleur
    Rosalie
    Beatrix
    Carolin
    Artemis
    Vivian
    Violet
    Emilie
    Amelie
    Audrey
    Adeline
    Esme
    Tamsin

Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

@oiseau: Thank you for you suggestions! Lourdes automatically went on me “must consider more closely list”, Margaret and Esther would already be on it if we didn’t have aunts by those/variants of those names. And I’ve loved Indigo for a while, though sadly it’s an English only name for me - the emphasis gets all weird in German. Finding names that work well multi-nationally and lingually is difficult, don’t you think?

@watzmann: You are so right the -e ending can be difficult in German - there is a reason I would never consider Theodore while I love Theodor. lol. I don’t think I’m so bothered by w’s and th’s. I for example love the English Tab-ith-ah and the German Ta-bee-tah equally. It’s really an issue of the J- I can’t get over (ex my love Jasper sounds just odd in the German Ja-sper or the Spanish Has-per - weirds me out too much). Thank you for suggesting Esme which I’ve loved for forever and seems to inexplicably have forgotten about. I also really like Artimes, Isolde, Rosalie, Beatrix and Amelie - all of which are already on an extended list but haven’t made the cut for one reason or another. Maybe I need to reconsider some of them. What’s on your top German/English list?

@lawsonhaley: Oh, I love Imogen (in English) sadly the emphasis in German is odd to me - I hope I’ll get over it at some point because it’s a great name. I’ve actually considered Aurelie before but I just here orally - which feels odd and I don’t get that with Aurelia. Sadly, Violet, Elise, Emma, Phoebe, Lucy and Eleanor (or variants thereof) have been used by cousin’s and best friends for their kids or dogs. They are all beautiful but since we interact with most of them on a monthly basis it would just be too weird. Sophie I’d consider as a mn as it’s the fn of both of my maternal-great-grandmothers and my mn. Ophelie however is great!!! I went from Ophelia to Ofelia I wonder if Ophelie could be a great next mutation. Will definitely consider. I’d love to hear any other suggestion.
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...