Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Where to go in the UK and Ireland

My parents, sister, and I are currently planning a trip to the UK, Ireland, and possibly France in the summer of 2015. Would any British berries or berries who've visited the region like to give some recommendations of where to go? We're for sure going to be in London and Dublin, but beyond that we have no clue.

So England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, and maybe France - what should we definitely see? And are there any places we should avoid?
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I spent a good 9 years in England, so I could tell you a few places I went to and enjoyed. First- visit London! Big Ben, the London Eye, the changing of the guard, the museums, and the Tower of London. You should also visit some of the countryside. Maybe Cheltenham in the Cotswolds? Devon, certainly- if you like archaeology/palaeontology/fossils in general, visit the Jurassic Coast. Try Lyme Regis, even if you don't go for the fossils. It's a beautiful place. Also, visit some of the castles- Warwick, perhaps? Also, I must say that you should visit some parks, I think Sywell is one of my favorites. I've never been to Ireland, Scotland, or France, but in Wales I would hit Cardiff and try Cardiff Castle. Hope this helps!
    ~Mehri

Come to Liverpool. We have a shed load of museums, two spectacular cathedrals, two world class football teams, wonderful docks, Speke Hall (google it), Port Sunlight (google that too ) Knowsley Safari Park, really friendly people and - if you're into music - we're the home of the Beatles You can also take a Ferry Across the Mersey like in the 'Gerry and the Pacemakers' song or sample a bowl of our local speciality 'scouse' (a type of stew). We're not the prettiest city in the world, I won't lay claim to that, but you'd be missing out if you didn't experience some of the wonderful things the north has to offer compared to the south

Other cities and places I'd recommend:

IN ENGLAND:

Chester: A Roman town. You can get there on the train from Liverpool. There's an excellent zoo and an ampitheatre and a stunning mix of architecture.
    Bath Spa: For a Jane Austen/Roman kick.
    York: It's just stunning.
    The Lake District: Anywhere. It's all gorgeous.
    Durham/Newcastle: There's a living museum there that I'm going to with my Americans next year.
    Brighton: I've heard it's pretty.
    Blackpool: It's old, it's dirty but it's one hell of an experience! It also happens to be the Mecca of the ballroom dancing world. Blackpool is an old Victorian seaside resort. There's a theme park, a Tower (google it), trams and piers and fortune telling and all manner of silly fun.
    Stratford-Upon-Avon: Shakespeare. Nuff said. Go see an RSC play!

Alton Towers: If you want a good theme park.

IN WALES:

Tenby: My friend lives there, it's so, so beautiful.
    Snowdon: You can travel up the mountain via a little steam train. Scenery is really beautiful. Wales has a lot of national parks to offer.
    Conwy: You can get here from Liverpool by train really simply. They've got a lovely castle and you'll most likely hear the Welsh language being spoken here. It's more prevalent in north Wales than south.
    Last edited by renrose; October 23rd, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

For England (aside from London) I second the Lake District and York recommendations. York really is a beautiful city and there's plenty to do and see - York Minster, The Shambles, York Castle...
    I'm from Yorkshire so I'd say anywhere in Yorkshire!: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...-third-6249687

You could try Wiltshire with Stonehenge, Avebury and its stone circle, Castle Combe village and the city of Salisbury which has an amazing Cathedral.

If you're up north, there's Hadrians Wall, and Northumberland on the England/Scotland border has Berwick-upon-Tweed, Alnwick Castle (Harry Potter) and Bamburgh and its Castle.
    Probably my favourite place in Northumberland is Lindisfarne (also called Holy Island), its got beaches, a little village, a castle and the Priory. I used to love going to Holy Island as a child and watching the tide come in and cover the causeway, cutting the island off from the mainland.

For Scotland I'd say Edinburgh and if you can go around August when the Edinburgh festival is happening, with all the street performers and market stalls its even better. I'd also recommend seeing the Highlands. Places like Loch Ness, Eilean Donan Castle, the Isle of Skye, and Oban (though they're a bit out of the way compared to Edinburgh!)

For Wales I'd say Conwy and Caernarfon, they're lovely places with interesting histories (and castles!).
    Last edited by kirstenlouise; October 29th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Sylvie - Indira - Martha - Beatrix - Miriam (Miri) - Freya -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Roran (Rory) - Caspar - Reuben - Malachi - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Gideon -

- Eden - Indigo - Ezri - Ophelia (Effie) - Zinnia - / - Tycho - Atticus - Beckett - Marius - Zephyr -

I can't comment much on 'down South', but if you come to Northern Ireland I recommend Belfast, particularly the Titanic exhibition (which I have yet to go to personally despite living a few miles up the motorway from it, but I know it's highly recommended!) and also the zoo if you're into animals. The Ulster Museum and Botanic gardens are also quite good, as well as being free! You also can't come to NI without going to the Giant's Causeway on the north coast and, if you can, go by the Antrim coast road rather than the motorway/train as it is very beautiful. If you're lucky and it's a clear day (not very common round here I'm afraid) you can see the Mull of Kintyre which is part of Scotland.

I'm at uni in the north-west of England, but being a student I'm not really doing touristy things, so I can't add much to Ren's list further up, though I can recommend a tour of the Yorkshire Dales (other side of the Pennines) as I think they're also just beautiful. I actually prefer the Dales to the Lake District, though they are both magnificent and you should definitely see both if you can.

Scotland's turn now. My aunt lives there so I'm there usually at least once a year. Definitely go to Edinburgh, see the castle and the pandas in the zoo and everything else. I love it there and will hopefully be living there in a couple of years if they let me into vet school. Glasgow's worth going to as well and I also recommend Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park which is just north of Glasgow. Stirling's also worth a visit, it also has a good castle.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan