Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Your favorite surnames as first names!

I'm wondering about your up-front favorite surnames-as-firsts, your hidden GP surnames-as-firsts, or just the SN-as-FN's that you tolerate : ) Surnames as first names hold a certain charm for me, so long as they don't end in 'son, 'Mc' or 'O' (but you are perfectly obliged to list any of your favorites that may contain them). So, list your favorites, and why they are your favorites; or just tell us why you don't like the trend (I was surprised to find that I liked it) Thanks!

My favorites:

Selkirk
    Gaines
    Gibbs
    Langley
    Penn

Ellis
    Blythe
    Mead
    Ainsley
    Blair
    Adair
    Last edited by chrisco; September 12th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Jude Marius-Raphael Benedict-Charles Dominic-William Christian-Damian Joachim

Genevieve Reine-Caterina Lourdes-Madeleine Neve

Honor-Emilia-Afton-Maeve-Hermione-Balthasar-Noel-Arthur-Percy-Leonard

I'm not a huge fan. I do like some names that I wouldn't be surprised to see as surnames like Merit, Adair, Carmella, Gioia, Laurel & many boy names like Francis, Wallace, Lincoln, Oliver. I randomly love Donovan & I like Reed & Sutton is kinda cool. I don't like the Mc, Mac, -son, -ton variety. Occupation names are a bit more for me, but not something I would necessarily use. I do like Smith, Miller, Booker & Deacon well enough on other peoples kids. If my husband adored Booker I would consider it.
    I think the best way to do surname style names is if there's a special connection. Beatrice is a family surname for me and I will likely use it on my next daughter My neighbor's son's middle is Baker cause the father's family owned a bakery for generations.

I love surnames as firsts because I love the idea of using a great namesake. I especially love the names that don't end in "n" because that is so common among boys in the US now.

Truman (Harry Truman) pros: nn "True" is fantastic. cons: Ends in "n"
    Darrow (Clarence Darrow) pros: Subtle support for science/reason. (less obvious than Darwin and therefore less likely to be automatically looked down upon by the ultra conservatives in my area) Love the sound. Unusual but easy to pronounce. Doesn't end in "n". Rhymes with "arrow" and means "spear" so that makes it sound strong, which I like. Cons: DH still needs convincing, difficult to think of a good nn
    Paine (Thomas Paine) Pros: My favorite namesake because he was an outspoken patriot and deist. Love me some freethinkers. cons: sounds like "pain" as in some sort of bully. Would only use in the middle if at all.
    Escher (MC Escher) pros: Love his art, doesn't end in "n". cons: DH thinks it is too odd. No easy nicknames
    Coltrane (John Coltrane) It's just so...cool
    Revere (Paul Revere) Another nice patriot name, I like that it doesn't end in "n".
    Edison (Thomas Edison) pro: Great inventor cons: not a fan of nn Ed or Eddy, or even Sonny really
    Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln) pros: Great namesake and I just like the sound. cons: Too popular/trendy at the moment, not a fan of nn Link, ends in "n"
    Montague ...this one from Romeo and Juliet. pros: could use nn Monty which also reminds me of "With Honors", a movie I love. cons: maybe too fancy
    Reeve is my absolute favorite boy name because I just love the sound. It is really an occupation name but some people think Christopher Reeves, which is also fine

Our boy frontrunner is Anderson. I like it but that's because of family significance rather than any love for the name in general.

Mirren (Helen Mirren) is the only female surname on my list.
    Last edited by iamamiam; September 12th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hel ena

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer