Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tattoos while pregnant are a definite no. All artists would refuse due to the high risk or miscarriage and infection.

While breast feeding, I've also seen mixed reviews. Some have said that your immune system is lowered during this time so you're at a higher risk of infection but I think if you take care of it properly there shouldn't be an issue. I plan on getting something done while breast feeding. Most importanty, Find a reputable shop and check for cleanliness!
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3

Quote Originally Posted by corajsb View Post
    I seem to get mixed answers when I search it. I plan to ask my doctor about it when I go on August 6th, but was just wanting some opinions while I wait.
    Can you post what your doctor says? Quite curious to know a professionals opinion!
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3

3 of mine were done when BFing. At clean, reputable, health inspected etc parlors. Never when pregnant, and wouldnt do it when pregnant either.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

I started the thread about tattoo removal and after researching some more and berries opinions I decided its a huge no no. I told my friend that as well. So IMO getting tattoos during either are a no no as well. You do not want to cause any problems when tattoos are more for pleasure and you can always get one after you are done breast feeding or not pregnant. Just be safe than sorry. Plus with tattoos its an opened wound basically. You are putting tiny cuts in your skin to absorb ink. And you do not want to take the risk of getting infected especially since you are feeding your baby. Whatever you do that baby gets just like when the the baby is the belly, they get everything you consume through the umbilical cord. Also your body may react different to the ink since you are pregnant or breast feeding. Just wait and too many risk factors!
    TTC Baby #1

I would advise against it obviously while pregnant, but also while breastfeeding. Just wait and get it done afterwards. It's better to be err on the side of caution. One thing to consider that no one else has mentioned is that if it does get infected, you may be limited in what types of medications you can take while nursing. I got an infection while I was breastfeedng (not from a tattoo or piercing, I just got sick) and the antibiotic that I needed I couldn't take because it's not safe for children. I basically had to choose between taking care of my body or being able to feed my baby (I would have had go pump-and-dump for 2 weeks while taking the medication, and my daughter was 10 1/2 months, so I doubted that we would have been able to go back to our breastfeeding relationship after that). I chose to tough it out and keep breastfeeding, because I'm crazy! But, trust me, that's just not a position you're going to want to be put in, especially if it's important to you/you want to extend breastfeeding. Most of the time it's safe to keep breastfeeding your baby while you're sick because they get antibodies from your milk (it's very unlikely for them to catch an illness from you), but there are lots of medications that aren't safe.