Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Name list input - we need some serious help

My husband and I have been all over the board with names for this kiddo - you guys have really helped us cull our name list with your input, and I am obnoxiously back again (why is our second son so much harder to name?).

All we know, is that we would like the name George to be in the mix. With our middle name choices and our last name (2 syllables, rhymes with Herman) it is most often found it's way to the first name place, but that isn't where it needs to stay.

Also, the only thing I really "feel" about this baby, is that he is deserving of a funky name. Our son was a Wesley (Wes) from the second we knew it was a boy, he felt like a Wes, it suits him perfectly, but this kid...he is a mystery, but I do feel he needs some funk. One other thing to note, that people really seem to have an issue with is, our kiddo will not be called George no matter the placement of the name. He will go by whatever other name is used. Not everyone's style, and it doesn't make sense to everyone, I totally respect that and understand it might rub people the wrong way, but that is how we will roll. Let's call it a family tradition

We would love some input on these name thoughts, also some funky suggestions?

1) George Miles - nn Milo. the front runner at this point, I am worried that it is too similar to George Michael a la Arrested Development
    2) George Henry - My husband thinks this flows better than...
    3) Henry George - THIS! I think this flows better than George Henry
    4) George Nico - It doesn't seem to have the greatest flow....I really like Nico
    5) George Truman
    6) George Maxwell - nn Max, but, a dime a dozen...
    7) George Kindling - Nope, not a cruel joke. I threw it out last night to my husband and he now adores it. I on the other hand have some serious reservations.
    8) George Oliver - My husband is not sold on using Oliver as an everyday name, he feels it is too pretentious. I really enjoy it.
    9) George Crew - But not really, my husband hates this middle "name" I love it.
    10) George Rook

Oh man...we have really got nothin'
    Last edited by shermy; July 15th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Just some random thoughts:

George Hercules
    George Nicodemus (Nico)
    George Trudeau (True)
    George Maximus
    George Maximillien
    George Maxim(o)
    George Kendall (Don't let 'All My Children' steal it from the boys!!)
    George Olivier (only slightly pretentious)
    George Creed
    George Eudo
    George Odin
    George Pax
    George Alexios
    George Titus/Titan

Quote Originally Posted by shermy View Post
    My husband and I have been all over the board with names for this kiddo - you guys have really helped us cull our name list with your input, and I am obnoxiously back again (why is our second son so much harder to name?).

All we know, is that we would like the name George to be in the mix. With our middle name choices and our last name (2 syllables, rhymes with Herman) it is most often found it's way to the first name place, but that isn't where it needs to stay.

Also, the only thing I really "feel" about this baby, is that he is deserving of a funky name. Our son was a Wesley (Wes) from the second we knew it was a boy, he felt like a Wes, it suits him perfectly, but this kid...he is a mystery, but I do feel he needs some funk. One other thing to note, that people really seem to have an issue with is, our kiddo will not be called George no matter the placement of the name. He will go by whatever other name is used. Not everyone's style, and it doesn't make sense to everyone, I totally respect that and understand it might rub people the wrong way, but that is how we will roll. Let's call it a family tradition

We would love some input on these name thoughts, also some funky suggestions?

1) George Miles - nn Milo. the front runner at this point, I am worried that it is too similar to George Michael a la Arrested Development
    2) George Henry - My husband thinks this flows better than...
    3) Henry George - THIS! I think this flows better than George Henry
    4) George Nico - It doesn't seem to have the greatest flow....I really like Nico
    5) George Truman
    6) George Maxwell - nn Max, but, a dime a dozen...
    7) George Kindling - Nope, not a cruel joke. I threw it out last night to my husband and he now adores it. I on the other hand have some serious reservations.
    8) George Oliver - My husband is not sold on using Oliver as an everyday name, he feels it is too pretentious. I really enjoy it.
    9) George Crew - But not really, my husband hates this middle "name" I love it.

Oh man...we have really got nothin'
    So why isn't George the middle name then? Like milo George? If you're calling him milo why wouldn't you just name him milo? Sorry I've never understood this confusing naming way.
    I like Oliver George. Nn Olly?
    Niko George is nice.
    Henry George sounds like a kings name. But I enjoy it.

I know it confuses people, and it rubs people the wrong way.

There are a couple of reasons

The first, and 90% of the reason being, I don't feel like Milo/Niko/Olly is an acceptable full name for an adult, whereas, Miles feels like a more complete adult name. Miles George LASTNAME doesn't have the best flow, at all. I could most likely live with it, but it makes my husband's skin crawl. So, it isn't that we are dead set on this method, it is that, George is an important name to us (my father is very important to my husband, myself and my son) and it is something that we will be using because it of it's significance. However, it isn't something we love for an everyday name.

Also, Oliver as a first name has always seemed a bit off to me, and one reason we didn't use it for our son, it has always sounded like "All over _______". Weird I know.

Lastly, I know this seems confusing or weird, or pointless to other people "Just name him whatever you are going to call him!", but, to my husband and I, it doesn't seem that weird. My husband goes by his middle name (he is a V, with many living member's of his family having the same name set), so, to us, it seems pretty "normal". He has never experienced any issues with it, and does not view it as a negative or "weird" thing.

...not sure if that makes sense to anyone in the outside world.

I do like Henry George, and using the name Oliver as well. Both such solid names. I do worry about my son being one of many though...

Quote Originally Posted by megnjan View Post
    So why isn't George the middle name then? Like milo George? If you're calling him milo why wouldn't you just name him milo? Sorry I've never understood this confusing naming way.
    I like Oliver George. Nn Olly?
    Niko George is nice.
    Henry George sounds like a kings name. But I enjoy it.

That is one of my pet peeves! My husband and I both suffered the fate of the middle name or nickname. So, from your list, I would go with Henry George. George is one of my favs and that is what I personally would call him. Here are a few ideas:

Oliver George
    Elliot George
    Everett George
    Barrett George
    Sebastian George
    Phillip George