Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on these more unusual/unpopular names and their usability?

I was just brainstorming names and would like your thoughts on some of them - your opinion of the name itself and the connotations/associations it has for you, any interesting nn or middle name options that spring to mind, and/or its usability:

Laurel
    Hermione - I love Shakespeare's "A Winter's Tale" and the likable heroine who wears said name, but does this name seem overwhelmingly
    associated with Harry Potter at this point? While I love the series and the character, I wonder if that makes it unusable. Does anyone have any stats about how many girls have been given that name in the States over the past few years?
    Pallas
    Lilith
    Joss
    Hester
    Joan
    Lorelei or Lorelai - Is it too trendy or classic? Does having German ancestry help make it more wearable?
    Virginia - Like Lorelei, this isn't as unusual as the others, but for some reason is hasn't risen with Violet and Victoria as I expected it to
    Artemis
    Doris, Dora, or Dolores
    Blanche
    Claudette
    Britta
    Sybil
    Buffy
    January
    Last edited by gretel; May 23rd, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

I really like:

Laurel
    Virginia
    Lilith
    Lorelei

I really like:

Laurel
    Virginia
    Lilith
    Lorelei

Laurel - This one is kinda nice.
    Hermione - I love this name it was on my list until my boyfriend said he doesnt like it becasue it's too Harry Potter.
    Pallas - This sounds little strange to me personally. I like the spelling.
    Lilith - I'v never heard of this one.
    Joss - I like it but it reminds me of Joss Stone.
    Hester & Joan - I'm not a fan of older names but I think they would be quite cute with your unique first names.
    Lorelei or Lorelai - I have this name on my list also.
    Virginia - I quite like this one but you don't know might rise in a few years when Violet & Victoria aint as popular.
    Artemis - I'm not sure on this.
    Doris, Dora, or Dolores - I personally like Dora the best. Just makes me think Dora the Explorer.
    Blanche - I like this as a middle name.
    Claudette - I like this as a middle name also.
    Britta - I personally prefer Brittany.
    Sybil - Kinda old for my liking personally.
    Buffy - All I can think is Buffy the vampier slayer.
    January - If the child was born in January then i'd say yeah.

I really think that most of the names you listed are very wearable though might be considered outmoded by non-namenerds. (In particular Delores, Hester, and Blanche).

The only name I have a particular comment on is: Lorelei
    According to my family being German makes it less wearable because they don't really consider it a name as much as if you were naming your child "siren". It's still one of my top pick though. (I think Gilmore Girls brought this into public awareness and made it very wearable).
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)