Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6 month old sleeping issues

Saela is 6 months old now, and just started sleeping in her crib at night, in a room she shares with her 4 year old sister. At first, she was sleeping fine, waking up once or twice through the night with a quick feed and back to sleep. However, the past few nights she has been waking up every one to two hours. When she wakes up, she doesn't even really want to eat, just suckle and fall back asleep.

I am at a loss as to what to do. If we let her cry, we are afraid she will keep her sister awake and cry for hours. We have found that she cannot self soothe. She does not take a pacifier, and when she wakes up she only wants me to pick her up and screams even louder when my husband picks her up.

Any other mommas have any advice? Let her cry, even though she's proved she can go for long periods of time? Pick her up and soothe her? Help!
    Maeby AlanaSaela Eliza

Aeris - Marlow - Simone - Romy - Corinne - Piper - Busy
    Crosby - Ephram - Eli - Beckett - Thatcher - Ledger

I'm a firm believer in CIO (cry it out.) But having another kiddo in the room would really complicate that!
    Self-soothing is a learned skill and it takes some babies longer than others to learn. I'm a meanie and would let my son cry for an hour to an hour and a half without any soothing. It only lasted for a few weeks (around 6 months of age.) And the time he cried each night gradually got shorter and shorter until he learned to fall asleep alone. We had him in his own room at three months old, with no problems, but he experienced a separation anxiety relapse around 6 months, and would exhibit behavior like you are describing. My husband also was not "allowed" to console him (just as yours isn't.)
    Does Maeby wake up every time Saela does? Ugh that sounds super stressful and exhausting! Is there anywhere in the home you can set up another crib or pack n play and let Saela sleep there (away from her sister) for a while? (I'm assuming you only have 2 bedrooms.) Then you can let her CIO and learn to self-soothe? Or could you let her cry it out in the girls' bedroom, and allow Maeby to cosleep with you if/when she's awakened by the baby?
    Or...
    Could you return her to your room? Put a bassinet/ cradle right next to your side of your own bed? Place your hand on her tummy and speak softly to her until she settles? I think a good goal when sleep training is to not actually pick up the infant. Try soothing with your voice only, if possible. Six months is still pretty young, and if she needs to sleep in your room a while longer, that's understandable.
    What do you think?
    Edit to add: My son also really liked a noise machine. We began using it around the age Saela is now. We had one that would come on automatically if he made a sound (cried.) It was pretty quiet, so I don't think it would bother your older daughter.
    Last edited by mulme944; January 6th, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
    Mommy to Travis Nevin 05/12
    and Angus Loudon is due April 6th, 2015

Sounds like a tough situation, and my heart goes out to you. I tend to agree w/ mulme944; crying it out is sometimes the best and most sane option for everybody's sake. I would definitely separate them for the time being; have your older daughter camp out in your room on the floor with a sleeping bag if you have to. The good news is that, eventually your older one may get used to sleeping through some noise, and your little one will get through this, too (even if it seems like she's never going to cooperate, she can't cry forever). And definitely try the white noise with the baby. What we've done with a few of our kids is have a fan on in the corner, far enough away from the crib so they can't reach or get too cold, but close enough for the benefit of the soothing noise.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (8), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.com/

#5, coming in mid-Sept 2015--TEAM BLUE!
    Thomas (middle), Paul (vetoed), Henry (vetoed),
    (Miles, Arthur, Samuel, Seth) = "meh"

Combos of the moment: Andrew Thomas, George Thomas

stephykneejo, how is everything going?
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (8), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.com/

#5, coming in mid-Sept 2015--TEAM BLUE!
    Thomas (middle), Paul (vetoed), Henry (vetoed),
    (Miles, Arthur, Samuel, Seth) = "meh"

Combos of the moment: Andrew Thomas, George Thomas

She is still sleeping in her crib, but has been waking up less at night. I think she was teething, because the ibuprofen helped. I can't let her cry it out, there is just no way. She had a breath holding spell yesterday when she was crying and turned purple. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. We rode in the ambulance and got checked out, and that was the diagnosis. Because of that, I could never let her cry so much. Luckily she is fine! Two nights this week she slept through the night, so we will just keep doing what we are doing. Thank you ladies for the support and ideas and thanks @mill for checking in!
    Maeby AlanaSaela Eliza

Aeris - Marlow - Simone - Romy - Corinne - Piper - Busy
    Crosby - Ephram - Eli - Beckett - Thatcher - Ledger