Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Birth rates are dropping everywhere, even the poorest countries (though they continue to be safely above replacement levels).

What would make me want more children? If I didn't want to raise them to take part in a high-tech, specialized, knowledge-driven, globalized world. If I didn't care about spending a great deal of money and other resources on equipping them for adulthood-- a dramatically different prospect than it was even 30 years ago, where one could make a reasonable, secure living using his hands alone. If I didn't feel the need to ensure they can keep up with the lightening-fast changing pace of technology, so as not to become redundant or obsolete. If I didn't care about the dramatically disproportionate impact my urban American children will have in terms of consuming far more than their equitable share of resources, energy and goods.

If I wanted to raise a passel of homesteaders "off the grid," then maybe. But I definitely don't, won't and can't.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq