Names Searched Right Now:
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I guess I'm flying solo on this but I didn't find any of those descriptions offensive. I didn't always agree with Pam and Linda's descriptions, but I was glad for an honest opinion from experts in the field.

Also, there are boy names that are - sorry - sissified. At least, that's how they're viewed in the "real" world, outside of an Internet forum occupied mostly by women, and mostly by women who analyze the hell out of names.

I mean, c'mon, shouldn't there be a website that points out that calling your son Madison or Ashley or Vivian is not a good idea? At least for the kid's sake, who has to live out there in the real world?

I personally found the honesty refreshing, and sorry to see it go. I hate to see anything become more politically correct at the expense of accuracy.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
    David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick

Girl Combos: Clementine Mary Theresa . Cecelia Rose Elizabeth
    Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Diana . Gloria . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne

Quote Originally Posted by missusaytch View Post
    I guess I'm flying solo on this but I didn't find any of those descriptions offensive. I didn't always agree with Pam and Linda's descriptions, but I was glad for an honest opinion from experts in the field.

Also, there are boy names that are - sorry - sissified. At least, that's how they're viewed in the "real" world, outside of an Internet forum occupied mostly by women, and mostly by women who analyze the hell out of names.

I mean, c'mon, shouldn't there be a website that points out that calling your son Madison or Ashley or Vivian is not a good idea? At least for the kid's sake, who has to live out there in the real world?

I personally found the honesty refreshing, and sorry to see it go. I hate to see anything become more politically correct at the expense of accuracy.

There is a way of being correct without using blatantly homophobic phrases such as "limp wristed" - there's a line and several of the descriptions crossed that.

I'm fine with the style descriptions. You disagree that Carly is unstylish? Ok, fine, disagree. That doesn't mean the description is wrong or not acceptable or whatever. Not everyone is going to agree. Some find Agnes the ultimate in old lady names, and others think it's the epitome of an up-and-coming stylish name.

The difference here is that 'limp-wristed' or 'sissified' are actually offensive terms. You can get the same meaning across without using those terms.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.
    Little Sparkler coming next July.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

Quote Originally Posted by missusaytch View Post

That's what the forum can be used for.
    Also, there are ways to express that naming your son Ashley in North America isn't as accepted as it is in Great Britain, with out being offensive, rude, or homophobic. The vistors of this site aren't just expectant women. A 10 year old doing a research project on his name can very well happen upon this site, and how do you think he'd feel hearing that his name, Lance, has a very limp-wristed feel?
    It's not that hard to do a google search to find out the definition of sissified, limp-wristed etc on urban dictionary.

I'm really disturbed at the thought of someone finding blatant homophobic remarks acceptable, and would rather those than something more appropriate.

I'm going against the grain here in saying this, but I am personally tired of all the sugar coating and PC bull in my life. It's nice to hear some raw honesty for a change. These are their opinions and they are entitled to them just as much as all of us posting in these forums.
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose