Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    *post redacted*
    Last edited by poppy528; December 31st, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: privacy
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

@sarahmezz Lisa Barrett's case is particularly brazen. This is a common defense when criminal charges are being brought, that the 'midwife' was actually working as a doula, not a midwife, and the mother was attempting an Unassisted Childbirth. Completely disgusting and shocking patient abandonment and frank perjury.

@RGE, yes, she was arrested for prostitution a few times in Asheville, when she didn't have enough paying midwifery clients to foot the bills.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Too awful. Apparently she allowed the woman (at 42 weeks) to labor for 4 days, and advised her not to transfer to the hospital because she was uninsured. Any one of these things is reprehensible. On top of it she was practicing medicine without a license? I don't understand why CPMs are rallying around her. Doulas who assist free-births and call themselves midwives are arrogant fools, and sully the waters for legit midwives.

Shutterbug, thanks for weighing in here. You're studying to be a direct-entry midwife? Wow, your training has been 5 years? That sounds like some serious schooling! Most nurse-midwifery trainings are 3 or 4 years, as far as I know. I'm curious about your route.

I don't claim any great political savvy or insight and I don't understand all the details of this case, but if she's required to be licensed and is practicing without one, then yes, that's a major legal issue. I would infer that the mother bears some responsibility in allowing an unlicensed midwife to oversee her delivery, but again, I don't know the details there.

This would be a different story in my state, where midwives are simply not allowed to attend births, regardless of training or certification. That I'm opposed to. While I wouldn't opt for a midwife, that's a personal choice based on my age, medical history and the fact that both my sisters experienced medical emergencies when they gave birth. But I believe that other women who don't have reason to expect a difficult delivery should be allowed the option of a certified, licensed midwife to attend their delivery.

Edited for grammar. Oopsy!

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Too awful. Apparently she allowed the woman (at 42 weeks) to labor for 4 days, and advised her not to transfer to the hospital because she was uninsured. Any one of these things is reprehensible. On top of it she was practicing medicine without a license? I don't understand why CPMs are rallying around her. Doulas who assist free-births and call themselves midwives are arrogant fools, and sully the waters for legit midwives.

Shutterbug, thanks for weighing in here. You're studying to be a direct-entry midwife? Wow, your training has been 5 years? That sounds like some serious schooling! Most nurse-midwifery trainings are 3 or 4 years, as far as I know. I'm curious about your route.
    @emms I would bet shutterbug is part of the program at Bastyr University on the outskirts of Seattle. They are leading an experiment in making DEM rigorous, requiring college degrees for entry, 2 years of foundational study plus three years of practica, etc. It's grounded in a naturopathic model of medical care as that's Bastyr's thing.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq