Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage French Names?

Maybe this is a bit of a longshot, but does anyone know what names are considered "vintage" in France? Like, here in England, I'd consider the names Violet, Lillian and Audrey to be vintage. What is the French equivalent to that vintage style? Or just vintage sounding names?
    Katie Charlotte

listography / ask

I actually have the name Adelie on my list... My family is from France, and when I asked a very similar question of them (back in France, Ive never lived there), They suggested Adelie. I love the name, and there is really sweet story of a french explorer who after being lost at sea for years, found Antarctica, and named the coast of Adelie after his wife back in France.

Other than that, similar is Adeline, Amabel, Bernadette, Carolina, Charlotte, Elodie, Eloise, Emmeline, Estelle, Esme, Faye, Genevieve, Noelle, Odette... Those are the ones I'd consider at least. Good luck!
    Last edited by meagh515; July 28th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meagh515 View Post
    I actually have the Adelie on my list... My family is from France, and when I asked a very similar question of them (back in France, Ive never lived there), They suggested Adelie. I love the name, and there is really sweet story of a french explorer who after being lost at sea for years, found Antarctica, and named the coast of Adelie after his wife back in France.

Other than that, similar is Adeline, Amabel, Bernadette, Carolina, Charlotte, Elodie, Eloise, Emmeline, Estelle, Esme, Faye, Genevieve, Noelle, Odette... Those are the ones I'd consider at least. Good luck!
    That's such a sweet story! I love Adelie, Eloise and Esme
    Katie Charlotte

listography / ask

Hmm, I'm not sure! My best friend was French, she passed away last December, but after she passed on her little sister and I were talking, and since we both have an interest in names, I would ask her what's in style and what's not, etc., and she said that right now Juliette is seen as a very chic, vintage French name over there, it's quite old-lady (sort of like Beatrice here?) but still classic and it's starting to be appealing again.

When I'm looking for a French name for a story, I always consult this site:

http://www.babynamefacts.com/popular...hp?country=FRN

It gives an idea of the names most popular in a lot of countries for certain years... of course, most countries don't go back as far as the US/SSA list, but it does help a little. I'm not sure even the farthest ones back on that site would be considered vintage, though--when my friend was pregnant with her triplets in 2010, I had suggested Isabelle (which was on the 1965 list), and she said that was still considered pretty dated. So I'm guessing Sylvie and Nathalie are in that boat, as well.

Sorry I don't have more answers, but hopefully someone will have some suggestions. @thetxbelle has an excellent handle on French names, so hopefully she'll answer and have some help for you.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

These baby names are currently popular in Quebec:
    Coralie
    Rosalie
    Amelie
    Aurelie
    Ophelie
    Noemie
    Maelie
    Maelle
    Maeva
    Eliane
    Ariane