Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Signature Style and Name Perception

I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way:
    For me, the way that a signature is designed changes a lot about my perception of the names in it.

For example, bright colours (especially pink and blue) give names a modern feel; muted colours make them feel down-to-earth.

Grey is very simple but classic, black feels very "official" and no-nonsense like.
    Fonts especially but also the layout and other elements (such as dashes or symbols) also add to the different perceptions of the same names.

A name like "Flora" can feel very modern (Flora), current and bubbly (Flora) or classic (Flora) to me depending on the signature style.

How do certain aspects of a signature change your perception of the names in it?
    Any specific colours/fonts that change the vibe of a name?

And do you design your signature a certain way because you want it to give off a specific vibe?
    Last edited by opheliaflora; April 8th, 2017 at 08:01 AM.

Ottilie Rosa & Margo Lavinia

https://listography.com/vintagenames

This is an interesting post~

Alright: How do certain aspects of a signature change your perception of the names in it?
    Probably only on a subconscious level. Maybe how the signature is arranged will make be think that "this person has a different style than me" without seeing the names on it. Not sure. I never thought about it until reading this post.
    Sure. Some combos look better in some fonts than others. A name that is just "nms"
    in one persons signature may look more like "NMS, but it looks pretty!" in another's based off of the way it looks written down. Font/colours have a lot to do with that.

And do you design your signature a certain way because you want it to give off a specific vibe?
    I'm not a fan of established gender roles perse, but I have a affinity for virtue/unisex names on girls (and in some cases, boys) so back when I had singles on my list I tried to clarify which gender the names on my list were for through colours most would understand as boy/girl. I haven't dropped that yet because my signature feels wrong/bare without it. I also alphabetise my signature. Perhaps to look more sophisticated.
    Last edited by evelinrose; April 17th, 2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Clarification Because I Missed an important "not"
    Arsinoë, 19
    Matilda Artemis Fawn & Gilbert Apollo Demetri
    Ellington Demetria Louise & Edmund Nathaniel Scipio
    Cleo Madeleine Sophie & Nico Arthur Alois
    Annabeth Humility Urtė & Perseus Matthew Ciel
    Cecily Violet Antigone & Misha Adrian Seth
    Ardith Thalia Jane & Alec Mercutio Foster
    Runa Charlotte Carter & Alfred Lionel Garrison
    Xanthe Meredith Aurora & Lovino Prosper Osiris
    Zadie Athena Clove & Lilith Minerva Primrose
    Bree Elizabeth Pepper & Katrina Persephone Margot

How do certain aspects of a signature change your perception of the names in it?

When the color is irritating to me, I avoid reading the signature. The style of the signature doesn't really change my perception of a name.

Some colors clash with the name.

When I have the time, I try to make the names in my signature close to their proper colors. Names have colors to me. I'm not going for a specific vibe.
    Rachel Whitney 1984
    (Name Nerd since abt. 1994)

Malcolm Alexander 2012

Current Favorite Names For a Future Child:

Leopold Frederick, Ansel Llewellyn, Caspar Frederick, Alonso Llewellyn

Sylvie Matilda, Leonie Matilda, Astrid Matilda, Aurelia Matilda

Quite an interesting question...I see what you're saying. My signature used to be colorful just bc I thought it was pretty. But then I decided to tone it down so that the focus was more on the names. I also started not even capitalizing the first letter to create what I feel is softer, the italics for elegance, and the georgia font for classiness. So, yes, there is thought behind the design of my sig
    ...thinking about...
    Eleanor Sybil...Charlotte Penrose...Arabella Juliet
    Edmund Abbott...Oliver Matthew...Henry Sebastian

I used to use pink and blue, or purple and blue, or purple and green, but I really don't believe in gender roles or societal perceptions of what gender is in general. (when I get pregnant, I'm not telling anyone the sex of my baby, because I refuse to stuff it into a societal box before it's even born. Plus, those cake-cutting parties are just weird. It doesn't matter except for the type of name I give this screaming womb nugget. If anything happens and it turns out that the name I gave them doesn't match up with their gender identity, we'll figure it out.) I use a more studious-looking font in my signature and more muted shades of green and blue. The stars separating each of my combos are because I really like stars and I thought it looked cute. I agree with a PP, if I find a signature to be an eyesore/too many colors/hard to look at, I'm probably not going to read it because that's a lot of energy to expend on a stranger on the Internet. I've been feeling bored with my signature and I really want to change it up, but I don't know how. I guess I'm kind of in a rut. Everything I can think of as far as ways to change it are things I've already tried and either outgrew or didn't like.

frida marigold ✩ amadea verity ✩ ophelia grace
    odessa honey ✩ araminta bluebell "minnie" ✩ ada lilac
    lily sojourner ✩ luna lyric ✩ flora margot

ezra théophile ✩ milo calixte ✩ asa raphaël
    florian apollo ✩ sebastian james "baz" ✩ rhys augustine
    alistair felix ✩ huckleberry adam ✩ peregrine otto

simone [sɪmə́wn]; 17; enfp; ravenclaw; future french teacher

listsblog