Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hakota?

Hybrid View

Hakota?

I'm not expecting, but I've been an avid baby name lover since I was young and I have a question for you all!

Last week, a new student sat in on one of my classes at school and when the teacher introduced him to the class, what she probably said was "Dakota" but I heard "Hakota". I instantly looooved the name, so when I got home I looked it up. As far as I know, Hakota isn't a legit first name. I DID find "Hakoda" with a 'D' instead of a 'T' as a Hawaiian surname, but I don't like it as much.

Now, my question is first, what's your initial impression of the name Hakota.
    What do you think of it not being a known first name?
    And how would this look on a (future) very Irish child? My last name is very Irish and I am very pale with blondish red hair. When I picture a boy with the name Hakota, I see a Hawaiian or maybe a Native American. Very tan.

Be honest! Thanks!

Hakota... I'm honestly not a fan, sorry. It seems like a smoosh between Dakota and "hakuna matata"... I guess he could go by Kota/Cody like a lot of Dakotas do, but I do agree, I would expect a Native American or maybe someone from Japan to bear the name. I suppose it could work for someone of Irish blood, but I would be a bit surprised. I don't think that should really stop you from using it... I love the names Eleni and Giovanna and I have no Greek or Italian blood in me... I think that's a bit different, but I don't see why I couldn't use Giovanna and you couldn't use Hakota, haha.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I made an account just to reply to this ^_^

Hi, I was just randomly googling the name Hakota as i wanted to know what my name meant and i stumbled across this thread. I personally love my name, but it can be a little frustrating to people who hear it for the first time as I have been called every name under the sun more times than I can count. But it's unique and i get complimented an awful lot by people who think it sounds ace! :P I am a 20 year old male from England with black hair and green eyes and although my name isn't very well known it does however exist elsewhere and suits me quite well! :P There is a character in a Japanese anime called Hakota who wears a paper bag over his head... Not very classy but there you go! :P A lot of my friends call me "Kota" but as I said before I'm pretty much called just about everything. XD I don't know if you are interested at all but here's my Facebook if you have any questions (https://www.facebook.com/hakota.foster?fref=ts)

Thanks for reading! If you reply I probably won't ever see it, as I said before I saw this thread and made an account purely for the purpose of replying to it so my odds of coming back on ever again are extremely slim. :x

I personally think this name sounds made-up, sorry.

I wrongly thought this was an Asian name, and would have pronounced it differently than you do. I prefer names with some sort of history, but this one didn't stand out to me in a negative way.
    Switching careers and becoming an RN! Sadly mommy plans will have to wait until that's done. Still loving names though!