Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do you like the name Madeleine?

I like the name pronounced "MAD-deh-lyn" but I don't like the more contemporary spelling "Madelyn". And to me Madeline should be pronounced "MAD-deh-line".

Will people have trouble pronouncing or spelling Madeleine?

I have a friend named Madeleine with the same pronunciation and she is mistaken for Madeline, but once corrected people usually get it right.

I love Madeleine! This weekend it's jumped up farther on my list because I realized it has all the letters of my sister's MN, just jumbled up (Eileen--madELEINE...). I seriously considered Eleni Madeleine, but I don't think the flow is very good. I still could use Madeleine, nn Eleni/Leni, but I just like Eleni more. I've thought about seeing if I can fit Madeleine somewhere else on my list. I really like it.

I haven't really asked for opinions in the "real world", but on baby name sites I've heard people complain about how much they prefer Madelyn/Madalyn because it's so much more obvious, and that they don't have a clue how to say Madeleine. Madeline? Mad-uh-LANE? Mad-uh-lyn? I don't see how it could be so complicated, lol, but I took French for two years and I love studying languages and names. I wrote the name down once at work, and I told my boss how to say it, because I figured it would be a problem, haha, and he was like, "Oh, okay." It wasn't his first thought (Madeline was), but it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't think it'd be a huge deal in real life, either...

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here

i love it i don't think it would cause more confusion then a "typical" name

Love the name, but don't like the popularity right now. I think your pronunciation is more typical so hopefully you will avoid pronunciation difficulties.