Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nickname for Agatha

So, we're seriously considering Agatha, but the nickname Aggie kills it for us. We live in Texas and are not A&M fans. What other nickname would work? We like the name Agnes as well, but it has the same awful nickname.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Nickname for Agatha

I have considered Hattie or the even rarer, cuter Hatsy! I think it works cuz you have the name ending in "ha" and you sort of just transmute the t and there you go! (I don't like Aggie that much either)

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!

I like both of those nicknames, but they don't seem to really match up with Agatha. My first daughter's name is Beatrix and her nickname is Bix. I guess I'm looking for something a little more spunky, since Agatha is a rather serious name.

For instance, we were considering Twila/Twyla and thought the nickname Twink was cute. For some reason people really don't like Twila/Twyla and I don't want to give her a name that will be hard on her.

I love Agatha! I'm an Aggie fan myself, but if you're not maybe Atha (AH-tha) would work? Or maybe Gats?

Ooh...I like Gats!

I honestly can't think of any nn that is really adorable for Agatha. Gattie would be my best venture, and maybe it would grow on me in the long run, but I'm not sure how I feel about it having just thought of it. I'm a Texan, too, and Aggie has definite associations. (Not an A&M fan. )

Quote Originally Posted by eilonwy74
    I honestly can't think of any nn that is really adorable for Agatha. Gattie would be my best venture, and maybe it would grow on me in the long run, but I'm not sure how I feel about it having just thought of it. I'm a Texan, too, and Aggie has definite associations. (Not an A&M fan. )
    I know what you mean. I feel like we might need to consider some other names. Ugh...

I had a friend at university whose went by the nn Ath, and while her fn wasn't Agatha, all the letters are there, so it might work? Then again, Ath might not be the best idea to go by while in school because of some fairly easy teasing opportunities with the nn's sound..

For the record though, I like Twila/Twyla. It sounds nice with Beatrix too.

Quote Originally Posted by holbs
    I had a friend at university whose went by the nn Ath, and while her fn wasn't Agatha, all the letters are there, so it might work? Then again, Ath might not be the best idea to go by while in school because of some fairly easy teasing opportunities with the nn's sound..

For the record though, I like Twila/Twyla. It sounds nice with Beatrix too.
    Well, thank you. I've been told it sounds "backwoods" or ethnic. How rude!