Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mythological Names

I'm really interested in names from mythology that are usable on a child today.
    I love that they have been in existence for so long and the stories and histories that come with the names.
    I am particularly fond of names from Greek mythology but others are great too... I'd love to head some ideas.
    Thanks

Re: Mythological Names

hey there, also loving mythological names!! they've been on my list for a while, mostly due to a childhood love of mythology! here's a few thoughts....

Boys
    Atlas - seems to be getting more attention these days, especially after a celebrity named her kid that. personally, i think its a fantastic name, very strong, but there's always thtat thought of a map book :/
    Perseus - ever read the Percy Jackson books? great kids books and the name of the main character is Perseus shortened down to percy!
    Icarus - i like this more as a middle name because i like it, but the 'ick' sound at the start puts me off using it as a first
    Orion - also getting more popularity, Chris Noth called his son Orion i think?
    Zephyr - one of my favourite names for boys and girls, though i put it here because its the Greek god of the WEst wind. i like its very free and spiritual connotations, and it would be super cool with the nn 'Zep'
    Balaram - the older brother of Krishna, which i think has definite potential. I first heard it on a surfer who i think has an amazing name - Balaram Stack - its just ace!
    Thor - quite popular in scandinavian countries, where the mythology originates from and i can see it becoming more popular elsewhere with the movie 'Thor' coming out soon

Girls
    Alecto - one of the Furies, makes an interesting change to Alexandra/Alexa etc
    Artemis - the goddess of the hunt, would certainly be a name to live up to
    Juno - much more popular now, one we all know but still cute!
    Athena - probably my favourite at the moment simply for its beauty and strength
    Pandora - maybe not good connotations, with the whole unleashing of misery on the world, but it does lend itself to the cute nn 'Pan'
    Hero - in Greek legend she was the lover of Leander and while most people see this as a boys name, because of the mythology i think it can stand pretty well as a girls name!
    Isis - the Egyptian goddess. a good, beautiful name i think
    Ariadne - the woman who led Theseus out of the labyrinth

thats all ive got for now, but i know theres many many more cool names from different mythologies!!!

Penelope*
    Persephone
    Hestia/Vesta
    Demeter (Demi?)*
    Athena/Minerva*
    Hera/Juno*
    Apollo
    Zeus
    Thor*
    Freya
    Frigga
    Odysseus
    Prometheus
    Vulcan/Hephaestus (Hep?)
    Circe (so pretty!)*
    Artemis*
    Isis*
    Adonis*
    Acantha
    Althea*
    Ambrosia (food of the gods. lovely meaning.)
    Anthea*
    Aphrodite
    Calypso*
    Calliope*
    Clio*
    Erato
    Thalia*
    Polyhymnia (nn Polly?)
    Echo*
    Eros
    Eurydice
    Gaia (or Gaea)
    Hebe
    Selena*
    Io*
    Iris*
    Nephele
    Pan
    Rhea*
    Xanthe

*-Ones I think would easily work in real life, although I think any of them would be lovely.
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually -- about children and flowers."

Arlo, Ezra, Finch, Forest, Jack, Jonah, Kit
    River, Rowan, Samuel, Sky, Taverner, Thomas, Toby

Abigail, Beatrix, Bryony, Clementine, Elizabeth, Ivy, June
    Marigold, Mary, Plum, Poppy, Ruth, Susannah, Tamsin

I really like Irene and Athena.
    other ideas-
    Phoebe
    Selene
    Charis
    Jocasta
    Aurora

Some I can see working are:
    Acala (a ka la)
    Accalia (ah KALL ee ah)
    Adonia
    Apolline
    Aries
    Beowulf (BAY wulf)
    Callisto
    Clytie
    Eido (EYE doh)
    Hermes
    Indra
    Iole (eye OH lee)

I also love some of the previous suggestions, especially Atlas, Pheobe, Athena, Circe, Isis and Selena.