Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Word names you think would sound nice - even if the meaning isn't nice

Hey guys,

I was just thinking and wondered if there are any words you guys think SOUND like they would make nice names (from just the sound alone) if they weren't words with less than pleasant meanings. Feel free to include any word names you think sound pretty but wouldn't use because word names just aren't your thing or because you think it'd be just a little too out there, for instance I think Blueberry sounds interesting, but I can't imagine actually naming a child Blueberry!

I'm studying biology and lately I've been coming across a lot of disease names that I think actually sound pretty, which is what brought this on.

For instance:
    Chlamydia (reminds me of Lydia, which I love)
    Malaria
    Pyometra (a life-threatening uterine infection common in dogs)
    Rosacea
    Rubella
    Dementia
    Nemesis (Not a disease, but still not a nice meaning)

Word names I like but would probably never use also include:
    Cranberry
    Sequoia
    Weather

Elegy and Requiem come to mind- they've got such beautiful sounds and such sad meanings!

On my guilty pleasure list I have/have had Belladonna, Cadmium, and Arachne, as well as Hemlock, Alchemy, and Orchard for boys. Also Pompeia, so close to Pompeii, but I think could make such a beautiful name, and Orphéa (Or-FAY-uh), which I love the sound of, but is seeming pretty unusable due to its closeness to Orphan.
    Jam|Fangirl|Historian|Biochemist|Single Pringle|19|Future mummy
    Dreaming of...
    Evanthe Rosalind Lyra • Zenobia Sybil Hermione • Marigold Sylvia Ann • Lavender • Guinevere • Amadea
    Pandora Beatrix FaeCaspian Sherlock WalterArtemis Clio ElizabethPtolemy Lysander George
    Horatio Phoenix Arthur • Nikolai Emrys Altair • Prosper William Kit • Indigo • August • Cedrick
    TimelordsTimeladies
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."

Ooh I actually really like Hemlock, that might go on my guilty pleasure list as well

I love Maudlin. It was used as a name way back when but now it's just known to mean "tearfully sentimental".

thinking about...
    Perpetua

"Peppa" or "Peri"

vote on my combos