Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A naming story that not a single one of you can relate to:

This is how a non-name-nerd chooses a name. So the mere fact that you're looking at nameberry means that it can't be you. My friend just told me that this is how she picked her son Aidan's name:

"I was watching Sex and the City one day and [the character Aidan] came on and I said, 'Aidan, that sounds nice... I'm going to name the baby Aidan.'"

The middle name is that of a certain Irish Cream liqueur. She just always liked that name.

And that's all. That was that. I can't even comprehend that. Sometimes I wish it were that easy for me. What about you? Did you ever have a naming experience like that?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Re: A naming story that not a single one of you can relate to:

I name inanimate objects (and insects) all the time. Haha. When I do this, the names just sort of come to me. And then it's perfect. I doubt it will ever be that easy to name a child, though. But who knows? Maybe I'll have a name all picked out, and then I'll see my baby and I'll just know.
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually -- about children and flowers."

Arlo, Ezra, Finch, Forest, Jack, Jonah, Kit
    River, Rowan, Samuel, Sky, Taverner, Thomas, Toby

Abigail, Beatrix, Bryony, Clementine, Elizabeth, Ivy, June
    Marigold, Mary, Plum, Poppy, Ruth, Susannah, Tamsin

Hi, Lyndsay!

Actually, my dad was a fan of the television show, Family Ties, which is how he picked both my and my brother's middle names - Elyse and Alexander. He liked the way the names sounded!

What about if you get a name from a book or something, regardless of how the character acts? For example, we all know I love Lydia, which I found in Pride and Prejudice, but Lydia Bennet isn't really the sort of character most people would choose to name a child after. Or, what about Fern? I found that one in Charlotte's Web and was instantly attracted to its soft, whimsical sound. Or, what about Emmeline? I learned about Emmeline Pankhurst - well, she is a noble namesake - in a history class years ago and loved the name! Same goes for Arabella, Cecily, and Gwendolen. Sometimes you find names you love in the most unusual places.

I say that it doesn't matter where you find a name for the most part - well, maybe a liquor cabinet isn't the best place to look - as long as you find something you love!

Take care!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Ah yes, but it's not how she found the name that I can't relate to. We heard the name Dashiell in The Incredibles, but we didn't name the kid after the character, we just originally liked it because of that. What I can't understand is hearing it and just deciding that was it, not putting another moments thought into it, ya know? Naming a baby is a big responsibility! You'd think you'd think about it for more than 30 seconds before making your decision.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    Ah yes, but it's not how she found the name that I can't relate to. We heard the name Dashiell in The Incredibles, but we didn't name the kid after the character, we just originally liked it because of that. What I can't understand is hearing it and just deciding that was it, not putting another moments thought into it, ya know? Naming a baby is a big responsibility! You'd think you'd think about it for more than 30 seconds before making your decision.
    Oh! Well, yes, I couldn't imagine making my decision that quickly. I guess it would be nice to have such a strong gut feeling sometimes, though, right?

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude