Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

trying to narrow down the list and find the one - WDYT?

Hi all I posted here a few months back and we are now on the home stretch of our bub arriving and I would love to narrow down our rather long list to one/two names namely for a boy which is my guess at what we are having. We have a son Hugo whose name suits him in fact he often refers to himself as Gogo which is not only cute but appropriate. Our preference is older names I guess some of our friends would agree that we like the hip grandpa/grandma so here is the short list

Julius ( mn either Sebastian or Raphael)
    Raphael ( mn Jack)
    Oscar ( mn Jack)
    Felix ( mn Sebastian)
    Sebastian ( mn Felix)

a few others being bounced around are Rupert, Gabriel and Reuben my difficulty is I love Hugo its strong and I think a handsome name for a man and cute on our little fellow so I guess this is where I'm finding it hard as nothing jumping out and would like to feel the same about our bubs name if its a boy.

FYI other suggestions we have ruled out are Oliver does not work with surname too many L's, Miles DH does not like, Gabriel worried it would be pronounced feminine way, Max we know to many and Theodore due to Theo being an O ending however I do like Ted, Julian as its my nephews name, Henry due to double initial and Augustus nn Gus diue to kid in willy wonka. Would like something that sits with Hugo as its a rather strong name I guess

so would love to know your pick or mix of mn or other suggestions

if we are to have a girl
    Ivy is front runner MN either Sophia, Estelle or Charlotte. I love Estella or Stella however it does not work with our L's in our surname and also like Lila, Isla and Poppy which we also know a few of

Annetta

Re: trying to narrow down the list and find the one - WDYT?

My vote with Hugo would be Raphael, as it's most definitely a strong name. And while it sounds quite different than Hugo, they have the same handsome, international flair. Of your girl names, I think Ivy Charlotte is fantastic!
    :: o l i v e ::

Hi Annetta! Love Hugo, great name!

Okay so for Hugo's little brother:
    Julius ( mn either Sebastian or Raphael) Julius Sebastian is very nice
    Raphael ( mn Jack)
    Doesn't flow for me, Raphael Jackson?
    Oscar ( mn Jack) Seems slightly abrupt with two short names.
    Felix ( mn Sebastian) I Like others better
    Sebastian ( mn Felix) I love love love Sebastian! I would pair it with Julius though, I think Sebastian Julius is very handsome! A few other middles with Sebastian:

Sebastian Henry
    Sebastian George (How abput George for a first?)
    Sebastian Gray
    Sebastian David
    Sebastian Gabriel

Augustus nn Gus due to kid in willy wonka. VERY funny! How about just plain August?

For a girl:
    Ivy is front runner MN either Sophia, Estelle or Charlotte. Love Ivy Charlotte! As well as Isla Charlotte!

Congrats!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

thanks for suggestions/thoughts so far looking forward to a few more from nameberry peoples as its too tricky with family. Have to agree Oscar Jack is too short would either use Raphael, Patrick or Sebastian as MN but worried Oscar is a bit popular.

so what jumps out as the one for you?
    Annetta

If I had only 1 vote it would be for Sebastian. I think Hugo and Sebastian make an adorable and handsome pair! I like Sebastian George and Sebastian Oliver best.
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Hi Annetta! :-)

Julius ( mn either Sebastian or Raphael): I'd go with Julius Raphael, because the S's in Julius Sebastion run into one another, making the name sound like Julius Abastion.

I really like Julius Raphael.

Raphael ( mn Jack): I think Raphael is an awesome name, but like others, I'm just not liking it paired with Jack. To me, a romantic name like Raphael is begging for a similarly romantic/special middle name. From your list here, I love Raphael Sebastian.

What about Raphael Augustin? (It's not Augustus Gloop!)

Oscar ( mn Jack): Yes, Oscar is popular, but I still think it's a great name. :-) I'm not feeling Oscar Jack, but think Oscar Sebastian is fantastic!

Felix ( mn Sebastian): I really love Felix (I love all of your names), but when I say "Felix Sebastian," my tongue has a hard time. It may just be me, but the x ending of Felix doesn't flow with the S beginning of Sebastion.

What about Felix Raphael or Felix Augustin?

Sebastian ( mn Felix): I think Sebastian is a great name, too!

If I have to pick one, I'm going to go with Sebastian. I think Sebastian is perfect with Hugo in every way (I'm loving Sebastian August!), but the only opinion that truly matters, is yours.

I don't recall the suggestions on your other thread, but here are some more ideas:

Arthur
    Atticus
    Augustin
    Archibald
    Alfred
    Byron
    Claudius
    Conrad
    Cassius
    Chester
    Clyde
    Dashiell
    Edmond
    Edgar
    Franklin
    Finnian
    Gideon
    Homer
    Leo
    Nathaniel
    Philip
    Phineas
    Roman
    Samson
    Simon
    Truman
    Thaddeus
    Xavier

I really, really like Ivy Estelle! I think Lila Charlotte is gorgeous, too!

Don't worry, Annetta! You'll find the perfect name! :-)

Either Julius or Raphael.

have you considered Jude or Benjamin?

I agree Ivy Estelle is beautiul

Julius - Since you have a relative named Julian, I would stay away from Julius.
    Raphael ( mn Jack) - I like this pretty well. I do prefer Gabriel for some reason.
    Oscar ( mn Jack) - this is cute, but is so popular in some places. Not where I live - I only know of one.
    Felix ( mn Sebastian) - I named my new stuffed animal kitty from Mexico Felix and got tired of it right away.
    Sebastian ( mn Felix) - This is my son's middle name, and I just adore it!
    Rupert is very cool! Love it with Hugo!
    What about Lionel nn Leo?
    Love Theodore nn Ted!
    Alfred nn Alfie
    Bernard nn Bernie
    I would recommend Victor except the two bros would sound like Victor Hugo!
    Magnus - so handsome!
    Laszlo - love this!
    Ivo - reminds me of Ivy only it's very boyish.

Love Jill's suggestions of Arthur, Chester, and Truman!

If it were me, I would choose either Sebastian, Bernard, Arthur, or Chester. They all match Hugo's energy. Or maybe I would pick George or Edward. Edward nn Ned or Ted.

I would not put Sebastian with Felix, but maybe after thinking about it, I will like that combo better.
    I like:
    Sebastian James
    Sebastian Arthur
    Sebastian Bernard (ber-NARD) The accent on NARD sounds lovely with Sebastian and leads it nicely to whatever your last name is.
    I like Sebastian with something solid but soft. Felix is sharp-edged with the "x" sound. Sebastian feels kind of sharp with the two hissy "s" sounds. The "s" in James is soft like a "z".

Let us know if you really like one of our ideas (including the other posters' ideas) for first names and we'll think of some more middles.

if we are to have a girl
    Ivy is front runner MN either Sophia, Estelle or Charlotte. I love Estella or Stella however it does not work with our L's in our surname and also like Lila, Isla and Poppy which we also know a few of

Love Ivy Estelle the most because I really love the name Estelle! The others are so pretty, too! Ivy is great with Hugo!

Gabriel would have to be my number one. I think it's strong, and Gabe and Hugo are great together without matching.

I also like Raphael, but if you live in America he will likely end up with the nickname Ralph (I knew a couple Raphaels, and they go by Ralph). I don't think Ralph works with Hugo.

I would like Julius if he didn't have a cousin named Julian

Oscar is a great name! I like it with Hugo, too. It may be a little popular, but I've only met one, and he's an adorable little baby!

Love Sebastian as a middle name! Gabriel Sebastian, Raphael Sebastian, Oscar Sebastian, I really like those!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

thanks again for thoughts and suggestions still nothing jumping out. My nephew Julian is 20 years older than our new bub so not sure if that matters and we also have an extended family member Raphael nn Raf - so not sure what to do. I do like Leo but don't want another O sounding name but would like something that works/compliments Hugo, M starting names don't really work as we have a M starting surname.

thanks
    Annetta (one month to go)

Annetta