Menu

Any ideas?...last name is Nelson

Have any suggestions for boy or girl names that sound ok with Nelson. Everything seems to rhyme and not sure about 1 or 2 syllable names. I like trendy or classic names for boys and tomboyish names for girls. Also, if you have any middle name ideas, that would be great too. Here are a few...

Boy Names
    Cash
    Graham
    Houston
    Knox
    Lake
    Landon
    Lincoln
    Maddox
    Talon
    Thierry

Girl Names
    Bristol
    Greer
    Ireland
    Lake
    Landry
    Peyton
    Piper
    Presley
    Salem
    Sutton

Re: Any ideas?...last name is Nelson

I think that you may be right about staying away from 1 syllable names . . . I know some Nelson children, their names are Breanne and Brody. With the 2 syllables I think it flows pretty well. We'll see what everybody else thinks though.

Cash - Hmm, maybe not long enough? Kind of sounds like an old gangster nickname.
    Graham - Oh this sounds really good. The 'M' at the end keeps it from rhyming. Graham Cash Nelson, Graham Knox Nelon, Graham Vincent Nelson?
    Houston - I like this name but see what you mean about them sounding too similar at the end.
    Knox
    Lake - Lake Nelson sounds a little like the name of a Lake - recently another poster had Lachlan, what about that?
    Landon
    Lincoln - Oh this is really nice too. Lincoln Nelson. Lincoln Robert Nelson - or how about Lincoln Cash Nelson? I really like that.
    Maddox - I really do see how this is a cool name but just can't seperate it in my head from Brangelina. If you can, go for it. Maddox Nelson works I think. Maddox Graham Nelson? Maddox Sam Nelson?
    Talon
    Thierry - I am so bad a pronounciation, how do you say this?

My suggestions: Brody, Brady, Campbell (has a lot of the same sound as Cash but longer), Jagger, Vince, Rowan, Casper, Beckett, Marco or Marcus

Bristol - Ok I know that a lot of people made fun of Sarah Palin's kids names. But I am from the same area as she is and lots of people give kids names like that so I like a lot of them - including Bristol. That being said, Bristol is kind of one of those names that is so tied to one person. Here are some names that I heard a lot growing up that have that same vibe to me: Girls - Denali, McKinley, Trinity, Leilani, Aurora Boys: Elias, Dawson, Hunter, Skyler (maybe better for a girl though), Chauncy. Or maybe you would like one of the names of a lesser known Palin - Willow or Piper.
    Greer - This is pretty and goes nicely with Nelson. Greer Willow Nelson, Greer Eliza Nelson.
    Ireland - Hmm
    Lake - Same problem as above, for a boy.
    Landry - This sure sounds a lot like Laundry the way I am saying it
    Peyton
    Piper - Oh you already have Piper. Good one, I think! Piper Grace Nelson, Piper Bella Nelson, Piper June Nelson, Piper Brynn Nelson?
    Presley - Definently works with Nelson. Presley Jane Nelson, Presley Aurora Nelson
    Salem - too Salem witch trials for me. What about Salome?
    Sutton

My girl suggestions: Quinn, Sawyer, Scout, Marlo, Marley, Harlow, Harper, Margo, Tess, Devan, Sage

Hope this helped!! I'm sure you will find something beautiful :)

EDITED TO ADD: Tasha for a girl.

Hi there! With Nelson, I'd recommend staying away from first names that end in an "in" sound, because like you said, the first and last names end in the same sound.

Boy Names
    Cash: I think Cash Nelson goes nicely, but what about Cassius. It's longer, and still gives you Cash.

Graham: I think Graham Nelson sounds great. Just be sure to use a longer middle name. (Graham Alexander Nelson, for example.)

Houston: I'm not a fan of Houston Nelson (same ending sound).

Knox: I personally don't like the alliteration of Knox Nelson. If you're looking for an x name, what about Felix, Xavier, Alexander, or Dexter?

Lake: As Smitty said, Lake Nelson sounds like the name of an actual lake.

Landon: Landon doesn't work with Nelson...

Lincoln: Lincoln, in my opinion, also doesn't work with Nelson, because they both two syllables and end with the same sound. What about Leo or Luke?

Maddox: I think it works with Nelson, but it's too much of a Brangelina name for me.

Talon: Not a fan of Talon... What about Hunter?

Thierry: I think you'll have pronunciation problems with this one. What about using an English version of the name or the name Tierney (althoug it's pretty N heavy with Nelson)?

Boy ideas:

Cassius
    Felix
    Xavier
    Dexter
    Tierney
    August
    Andrew
    Alexander
    Caleb
    Dashiell (the I is silent)
    Everett
    Edward
    Elias
    Grant
    Garrett
    Jasper
    Jude
    Luke
    Milo
    Oliver
    Silas
    Samuel
    Theodore
    Wyatt
    Zane

Miller
    Shepherd
    Hunter
    Archer
    Parker
    Walker
    Cooper

Girl Names:

Bristol: Bristol is all Palin to me, but if that's a good thing for you, go for it! :-)

Greer: Greer is lovely!

Ireland: Ireland doesn't work with Nelson, but a lot of your names do. :- )

Lake: See boys' Lake issue.

Landry: This honestly looks like a typo of Laundry.

Peyton: Peyton doesn't work with Nelson because of the ending....

Piper: Piper sounds great with Nelson. :-)

Presley: I'm not a fan of Presley, but it works with Nelson.

Salem: I wouldn't name a little girl after a town known for horrific witch trials and black cats. I think it's also a brand of cigarettes. :-(

Sutton: Sutton doesn't work with Nelson, either. :-(

Tomboyish and place names for girls:
    Avery
    Blakely
    Bailey
    Darcy
    Ellery
    Emery
    Finley
    Hollis
    Hadley
    Ivy
    Mackenzie
    Quincy
    Winter
    Holland
    India
    Sierra
    Georgia
    Cambria/Cambrie
    Astoria
    Meadow
    Isla (eye-la)
    Kendall

Of your girl choices, I vote for Piper Nelson, and of your boy choices, I vote for Graham or Cash.

Good luck!

Susan as usual has some fantastic ideas. I have to say I prefer 3 syllable names with your 2 syllable last name. I think 3-1-2 is a great rhythm. That said, I have a two syllable last name and gave all three of my children two syllable first names!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Thanks, Pam! I love two syllable names myself, and we have a two syllable last name. I love the 2-3-2 and the 2-4-2 rhythm myself. Two syllable names are so practical. I think five letter names are really fun. Just long enough, not too long, an odd number of letters. But I also really love four and six letter names. I just love really long middle names!

Thanks so much for all of your ideas! I am in the process of revamping my list to include your suggestions. Will re-post soon for more help. Thanks again : )

I LOVE Phineas!!! See what you think about my new list. I incorporated Phineas as a middle name for Sayer, but now I am loving it for a first name. What do you think of Sayer Phineas? Boy or Girl?

I just replied to your other thread...