Menu

How would you pronounce the name 'Leia'

I love the name Leah, but I am not fond of the spelling Leah or Lea. I like the spelling Lia, but I really love the spelling of Leia (but instead of pronouncing it 'Laya" I would pronounce it like "Le-uh'). Now I know this name is associated with Princess Leia from Star Wars and that would be my biggest hesitation in using this name. So my question is, do you think you could use the name Leia-with this spelling and have it pronounced as Leah? Also what are your thoughts on the name?

Additionally, what do you think about the combo Leia Nicole K?

Re: How would you pronounce the name 'Leia'

I would definitely pronounce that Lay-ah. Sorry. :(

I'd also definitely pronounce it Lay-uh, as Lei is pronounced "lay."

agreed, I'd say Lay-uh.. I think it'd be hard to get it pronounced differently, just doesn't make sense.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I would definitely pronounce this Lay-a. But I have a family name that is used for several female relatives that I only recently realized is probably pronounced differently by everyone else. It's Leila and in my family it's pronounced "Lee-la", but I was looking at it the other day and realized it should be "Lay-la". Shouldn't it? Back to the original topic, I personally would stick to Leah. I think Leah is pretty, but in my area it's very common...don't know how much that matters to you...I do actually prefer both Leila and Layla.

lay-la; sorry!
    this reminds me of a woman i know who has a daughter named gina. g-i-n-a. and the woman insists her daughter's name is "jenna."

I would also pronounce it "Lay-a". Sorry! If you really don't like the "Leah" spelling I'd at least go with Lia (although I tend to prefer traditional spellings). Leah is a very pretty name, and not overly common where I live.
    :: o l i v e ::

Sorry - I would also pronounce it Lay-a. I do think that Lia is cute alternative if you don't like Leah. Good luck!