Menu

Opinions on Maybelle?

Hello everyone! My friend is having a baby girl! She is due in May. She loves the name Maybelle (ha ha ha...shes due in May too!). She was thinking Violet. Is that nice? Maybelle Violet?

thanks everyone! :)

Re: Opinions on Maybelle?

While Maybelle Violet sounds lovely, I have to admit that when I hear or see the name, I only think of the cosmetic company, Maybelline. What about simply using May/Mae or Belle? Mabel would work, too. :-)

I like Mabel.

I agree with jill re: a pretty name that makes me think of Maybelline. But I do think Mabel, Amabel, and Mirabelle/Mirabella would be lovely alternatives.

I actually think Maybelle is really pretty, despite the clear Maybelline connection. When you think about, Maybelline is pronounced more like Mabel than Maybelle, anyway. I think if she loves it she should use it! Maybelle Violet is lovely.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

Maybelle Violet is lovely. I've like Mabel for a while but rather than makeup, Mabel makes me think of maple syrup, which I hate. So Maybelle is the version for me (or the medieval Amabel) :)

Maybelle is one I like whether it's smushed: Maybelle, or seperate: May Belle. Sounds the same, either way. So Maybelle Violet gets a Huzzah! from me!

LOVE maybelle. it brings to mind mother maybelle, of the carter family.
    maybelle violet is pretty, if a little flowery for my taste. it leaves the option of may as a nickname if she's a tomboy, but lately i've been trying to consider all possibilities, such as: if my daughter were a butch lesbian, would she like to be named maybelle violet? :)

I like it, I think it's cute. Maybe it doesn't age all that well. Very springlike, so when she is in the winter of her life, so to speak, might be a little youthful. Also, good point, probably would not suit a butch lesbian. :) But she could go by initials (though that begs the questions, what do the initials stand for)... so maybe some nickname. I do like it though.

Classy and sophisticated