Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WDYT?

WDYT?

Someone I know just named their little girl Destiny Pearl.
    I'm not sure how I feel about Destiny.
    What do you think of it?

Re: WDYT?

It's the new Brandy. We have a name for this style in my neck of the woods, and that is "Redneck Fabulous."

In my family we call overly fancy things Whoop Dee Doo. My daughter, mother-in-law, and mother all love Whoop Dee Doo things. Everyone else likes more plain things. The ones who love Whoop Dee Doo also love very fancy names. My sister calls really snobby people the La Fongs as if La Fong is their last name.

lola Guest

Destiny does nothing for me either. Strikes me as overcompensatingly "New-agey" and will date badly in 20 years or less. (think Crystal).

But she does have the pretty Pearl as a middle, so at least she has something to fall back on should she not like Destiny. Personally, I don't hate Destiny, there are other, far worse things out there pretending to be names. My biggest problem with Destiny is it's complete lack of nicknames.

I totally understand the nickname thing! ALL of my friends have nicknames, but what can you really do with Erica? I always wanted a nickname, and have vowed that my children will have them. :)

I love Pearl, really don't like Destiny. Just sounds trashy.

Erica, I'm with you on the nickname thing, too. Everyone has always called me Lyndsay, almost no one has ever called me Lynz. I was just telling my husband about how when I was in junior high I had a class where we had to list all of our nicknames, and all I could write was Lyndsay. It was sad.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

lola Guest

ricamaca, I have a cousin named Erica and we call her Errie (like Herry) and Ricky (when we're teasing). So there's two for you!

Lyndsay, I feel for you. I had the same sort of assignment in school (around 6th grade) and hen I wrote Lola under my name: Laura; I got told that wasn't a valid nickname. I ended up getting detention for arguing that anything could be a nickname and would not erase anything I wrote down. My Mom had to come to school and explain exactly how we got Lola from Laura and that she would not insist I comply with the teacher. Huzzah for Mama! :D

Everyone in our family has nicknames that have little or nothing to do with their real names. For example, lately I have been calling my mother Ching-Gotch-Gook, the Last of the Mohicans because all the other family members in her generation either have died or they can't walk or can't think very well or they're almost dead. She loves her new name! I also call her Nana but when I was younger I used to call her Yogi because I said she was my guru.
    I call my husband Ha Ha, Lala, Baddie, Mr. Fun, Mr. Angry and so on...I have made up songs with a lot of his nicknames in them. He pretends to like my songs. But sometimes he sighs.
    My son is Petie Kitty which has a lot to do with his name Peter, but then sometimes I call him Mr. Kitty. The other day in church during the sermon the minister was talking about Peter the Disciple. When the minister said, "Peter" I loudly whispered Petie Kitty and my daughter nearly died laughing.
    My daughter Laura's nickname are all derivatives of Voovie.
    The dog is Dogguh and Doggie-Dog-Dog. Her name is really Roxanne nn Roxie.
    The cat's nicknames are Dewey, Baby, and You-ie. But his real name is Moses nn Mokie.
    I used to call both my son and his girlfriend Boobie but then they broke up. Hope Boobie didn't have anything to do with it!
    Russians love nicknames, but we are not Russian. I don't know what our excuse is. My point is that you can get a nickname out of any name.

In fact, I know a Destiny who is called (blessedly) Desi. Way cuter than the full name, imo.

That was hysterical! :-) I completely agree with everyone. It's quite the trashy name, and parents hoping to lend their children some class with this name manage to do the opposite.