Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Choosing b/w Elaina, Brynn and Ada

My husband and I are expecting baby girl #2 in early June.

We are having some problems choosing a name. So far we have only agreed on 3 girl names. I like all of the names we have agreed on but Im still just not sure. Before we found out we were having a girl we had chosen 2 boy names fairly easy (Van or Lincoln) however, once we found out we were going to have another little girl we were stuck.

We currently have a 3 year old daughter, Olivia Wren (we call her Liv, Livy). I now wish I would have listened to my gut (not my best friend) and named her Livia, just to be a little different. I think that is why I am having such a hard time with this little ones name.

Her middle name is going to be Marie after my husbands grandmother (it is also my middle name). Our first daughters middle name (Wren) was after my grandma so I thought it would only be fair to name the next one after his grandma (it seems to really mean something to my husband too so that is pretty much set).

We are open to other name suggestions and would love to hear your comments and thoughts on our picks so far.

Elaina (I picked this name just a few weeks agowe would prolly call her Laney)

Brynn (my husband choose this name several months ago and seems to really be stuck on it but I am just not sure Brynn Marie goes.? I have been trying to find a more formal name for Brynn that would go better with Marie and then we could just call her Brynn ?)

Ada (this was a name that we talked about for our first daughter, it was also my great grandmas name however, it seems a little heavy for a little girl)

Re: Choosing b/w Elaina, Brynn and Ada

Hi and congratulations :) I am totally biased in this situation, as Ada is one of my favorite girl names. I don't think it's heavy at all, just sweet. Ada and Olivia are very cute together. And I definitely think Ada Marie works! Olivia and Elaina are a bit too close to one another in my opinion, although Elaina Marie does work as well. Of the three, Brynn is my least favorite. I don't think it works very well with Olivia, they seem very different stylistically. And for some reason Brynn sounds a little dated to me, maybe because it's so close to all of the Brees/Bries/Briannas I know.

A few other names you might like
    Adeline
    Adelia
    Annabel
    Beatrix
    Beatrice
    Eleanor
    Helena
    Nora

Hope this helps!
    :: o l i v e ::

I love Ada Marie. It is simple and beautiful.

Elsa Marie
    Beatrice Marie
    Eleanor Marie (nn Nell or Nellie)
    Blythe Marie
    Adele Marie
    Matilda Marie
    Eloise Marie

... Ill keep thinking!

Olivia Wren is so beautiful, I love it!

Elaina- as someone else said, this is a little matchy. But I certainly don't think it's too matchy to use. I really like Elaina with Olivia, they both feel very current, but classic. Livie and Laney would be adorable!

Brynn- I really don't like this one, sorry. But even if I did, I don't think it works with Oliva at all.

Ada- I like Ada, and I think it works well with Olivia. I don't think it's too heavy. For me it makes Olivia feel more old-fashioned, whereas Elaina makes her sound more current. Think about the reasons you picked Olivia (or why you would have picked Livia) and see how you feel.

What do you think of Amelia? I guess it's a little matchy, but I think it's perfect with Olivia. It strikes the balance of old-fashioned and modern. Lots of nicknames, too. Mia, Lia, Mel, Millie, and that's just off the top of my head.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I love Amelia!
    Ada and Elaina are pretty. Have you thought about Elaine? It is a lovely name with the nn Lainie. I also love the Greek Eleni nn Lena or Lainie. Elaine, Eleni, Helen, and Eleanor are all basically the same name, and they all mean light. So pretty!
    I personally don't like Brynn, but I do love Brenna and Briony. Brenna might be a bit dated though. Also love Bridget. I tend to love more the more feminine names. I'm not sure why. But if you really love Brynn, use it. I do love Paige, but as a middle name. Brynn would make a lovely middle name for Amelia. Amelia Brynn.

I'm here to stick up for Brynn! I think that's it's an all around cool name--it's spunky thanks to it's being one syllable but still quite sophisticated. I think that Brynn Marie could work just depending on how it goes with your last name.
    Also there's a really nice song by Vampire Weekend called Bryn (one N though). Here's a link to it:

I particularly like the refrain of:
    Oh Bryn, you see through the dark
    Right past the fireflies that sleep in my heart
    You know its easy to see
    Wait for the season to come back to me

I think that Ada is a little bit stodgy, especially with the classic Marie. Brynn and Marie are a mix of modern and classic. I like Elaina Marie quite a bit but worry about daughters Livy and Laney.

Good luck and Congratulations!

I love all your choices - Elaina, Brynn, and Ada ... and I love Olivia Wren.

I think Lainey and Livey are too similar for my tastes, but I can see how it would be cute, so if you like it, go for it!

I LOVE Brynn ... I do think it would sound better with an -a sound to go with Marie ... like Brynna Marie?? But I might have just made up a name :( OR, maybe you could try Brynn Maria depending on your last name.

And I don't think Ada is stodgy at all ... especially if you call her Addie when she is little. And Livey and Addie is very cute together.

Good luck!

I love all your choices - Elaina, Brynn, and Ada ... and I love Olivia Wren.

I think Lainey and Livey are too similar for my tastes, but I can see how it would be cute, so if you like it, go for it!

I LOVE Brynn ... I do think it would sound better with an -a sound to go with Marie ... like Brynna Marie?? But I might have just made up a name :( OR, maybe you could try Brynn Maria depending on your last name.

And I don't think Ada is stodgy at all ... especially if you call her Addie when she is little. And Livey and Addie is very cute together.

Good luck!

Elaina (I picked this name just a few weeks agowe would prolly call her Laney)--love this! Maybe could do Elinor, Eleanor or something along those lines if Elaina isn't grabbing you.

Brynn--like this name but I agree that it may be too similar to Brianna/Bri trend that is going on. I say this because you seemed disappointed in choosing Olivia instead of Livia.

Ada (this was a name that we talked about for our first daughter, it was also my great grandmas name however, it seems a little heavy for a little girl)--Great name! Especially with Marie. Other suggestions:

Emmeline Marie
    Seraphina Marie
    Vivian/Vivianne Marie
    Amelia Marie (maybe too many A's and E's going on though)
    Delia/Dahlia Marie
    Beatrice Marie (I'm biased! My daughters name is Beatrice)

Good luck!