Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

August or Augusta for a girl?

I love Augusta and August for a girl but can't decide which one I like best. August or Augusta? And what do you think of the names?

Re: August or Augusta for a girl?

I prefer Augusta for a girl, since I see August as a boy's name. Overall I like the names.

I know August is a boys name, it was even one of my very top names for my son, but I love it for girls too. It's really one of very few boys names that I like for girls AND boys. I really don't like Augusta, it don't think it's nearly as sweet and pretty as August. :)
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

August is tradtionally male. There was the famous Emperor Augustus (the month was named after him, in fact), then a few Augustines after him, I believe. Being more traditional myself, I would keep August as a male name and use Augusta for a girl. You have no idea how thrilled I would be to see a baby Augusta, it would just about make my week! Good luck! :]

Thanks for your answers. I know that the month was named after a guy, but so was the month of march (named after Mars, the god of war) and it is now more seen as a girls name. I see Augustus as very masculine and August as unisex.

hmm I love them both, I guess I have to think about it for a while.

Do you like Augustina?

I like Augustina a lot more than Augusta.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I love Augustina and then you could give her the nickname August. If she grows up to be a girly girl like my daughter is then she could be Augustina or even Augusta. Augusta could be a nickname for Augustina. And if she's more of a no nonsense type, then she could be August. Lots of possibilities with Augustina. She could even be a Tina.

I like August. Augusta is a city name to me since there's one near us.

I like August. Augusta is a city name to me since there's one near us.

Place names are very popular. They sound more exotic when the person with the place name doesn't live near the place. So Augusta wouldn't be a good choice for you or for my cousin's family who live in Augusta, Georgia. But, if a family doesn't live in or near Augusta, that name would be a great choice. I, on the other hand, will never name my daughter Los Angeles because I can see it from the street behind my house.
    Augustine is a cute option as well as long as you don't live near St. Augustine, FLA.