Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this boy name to rare?

What do you think of the boy name Locke? Pronounced Lock, Middle name would be Connor. Its old English and means "to live by the stronghold".

Also another one to throw at you "Ganon"? Middle name would still be Connor. Its old Irish.

lola Guest

Re: Is this boy name to rare?

Locke is a bit too odd for even me. It's abrupt and feels quite surnamey to me. Gannon, on the other hand, I do like, quite a bit. I prefer the Conor spelling to Connor, simply because Conor actually looks Irish, Connor looks American to me. But both names sound funny together, whichever way you go: Locke Conor is too abrupt (and to be honest, sounds like a lake named Conor [loch is lock]) and Gannon Conor has two two syllable names back to back, so it sounds flat. With Conor as a middle, I'd look for something with three or more syllables. I'd suggest some but have to go start supper now or it'll be late. I'll think on that during supper and be back after.

I agree with all that Lola said... But maybe Locke could be a cool middle? Gannon Locke? And Conor could be a potential sib name?
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

I have to stick with the middle as Connor or at least use it somewhere. Its after someone and important to us. I kind of thought Locke had a unique masculine sound to it, no?

Locke Connor honestly doesn't flow at all. :-( The K sounds completely blend together, and the name sounds like Lock Onnor or La Connor.

A nice alternative would be Lachlan (Lock-lan), and you could use Locke for a nickname. Lachlan Connor, while still pretty K heavy, flows much better than Locke Connor, and allows his first name to be more substantial.

lola Guest

Locke does have a strong sound that most would say feels masculine, but it sounds really awful with Connor. I liked Jill's suggestion of Lochlan Connor, nn Locke. Now that's actually kind of cool. (says this Yank). Lochlan Connor is a bit 'K' sound heavy but it's far more liveable than Locke Connor. I trip saying that (and you can ask anyone here, I am a very precise speaker, and can say combinations other's can't) But Locke Connor, is impossible for me to say easily. I'm sorry!

I thought of Nicholas Connor. Nickname Cole. Cole is a lot like Locke. It has one syllable, has the hard "c" and "l" sounds, and is quite masculine. Just an idea.

Nicholas Connor nn Cole is a fantastic idea!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Locke is John Locke to me, which is a good association- he was a English philosopher whom the founding fathers took a lot of ideas from to form the basis for America's ideals. Guess where the phrase from the Declaration of Independence, "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" came from? Mmhmm, that was his idea originally (except for "pursuit of happiness" was "property" in is version). So I think it would be cool to get him in somewhere, he doesn't sound as lofty and elite and Socretes or Plato or something! However, he is quite choppy and odd as a first name; I would save him for the middle. And Locke Connor does flow right into the other. I do like Lachlan Connor, or even Connor Locke.

How about:
    Alexander Locke
    Benjamin Locke
    Andrew Locke
    Peter Locke (Haha! This is more of an inside joke.. with myself? Anyway, it's from Ender's Game. I'll try to repress the geekiness now. :P)
    Nicholas Locke

I don't care for Locke as a first name. Locke is my maiden name, and beware if you do chose it for a first name, it has been mispronounced my entire life. I can't tell you how many times it was pronounced Lock-ee. It made me cringe every time it was pronounced that way.