Menu

Thread: Lola?

Lola?

I am thinking about using the name Lola but don't know if I want it as its own name or a nickname. Can you think of any names that Lola is a nickname for besides Lourdes and Lolita? Also, what middle names and brother sister names would sound good with it? We have a one syllable last name.

lola Guest

Re: Lola?

Well, Dolores is traditional for the nickname Lola. My name is Laura and my nickname is Lola. I think any L name that's got a slight Lo- souund at the beginning is game:
    Lorraine, Louise, Laura, Laurel (and bah, Lauren) would work and that's just off the top of my head. I'd definitely consider something more formal for Lola. As a first name, it's not one that ages super well. (And like I said, it's my nickname, I live with it, so I know).

Brother & sisters would have to wait until you decided which full name you would go with.

I had forgotten about Dolores, but I don't really like that name or its meaning I'm afraid. I'll look for some more "Lo" names.

Let's see....I think you could get Lola from:

Lorelei
    Louisa
    Luella
    Lulette
    Leonora

Less obvious Lola sources:

Marlo (ends in lo)
    Finola (you've got the ola ending)
    Viola (ditto)
    Charlotte (I think of Lottie, which could lead to Lola)

Good luck!

Paloma nn Lola. I think it works.

I like just Lola, I think its short, sweet and beautiful.

i think susan is on to something with Paloma nn Lola- I love Paloma and i never thought of Lola as a nickname- susan knows best! its nice to have a name with a nickname, so Paloma with Lola as nn definitely gets my vote!
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

Thank you all for your help. :) I really do like the idea of using Lola as a nickname for Paloma.

I'm so glad you like Paloma. I think I got the nickname Lola for Paloma idea from Laura Wattenburg who wrote Name Wizard. Paloma is a stunningly gorgeous name!