Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paul or Walter?

Paul or Walter?

Im writing this on behalf of a friend. She is having her first baby, a boy, and she and her husband each have a different first choice. One wants Walter, the other wants Paul. Which do you prefer? (Their last name is two syllables, with the accent on the first syllable.) Thanks!

Re: Paul or Walter?

i LOVE Walter! I can't use it because it doesn't sound good with my last name, but I really really LOVE Walter!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I love Walter too, but I would suggest to them to do a little more digging to come up with a name they both love!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

lola Guest

Walter gets my vote of those two but I agree with Erinpurple, they should keep digging to find something they both love. With Walter or Paul (blech, Paul), one of them loses out when one or the other is chosen. That's not cool nor is it fair to either of them. They need to find something they both agree on.

Here are some suggestions to get them thinking:
    Ralph
    James
    Frederick
    Peter
    John
    Henry
    Hugh
    Bernard
    Louis (lou-ee)
    Lewis (lew-is)
    Norman
    Anthony
    Gilbert
    Bennett
    Benjamin
    George
    Charles
    Ernest
    Thomas
    Arthur
    Richard
    Marc/Marcus
    Raymond
    Stephen
    Roland
    Laurence
    Robert
    Francis
    Carl
    Warren
    Russell
    Joseph
    Felix

Maybe something there will grab them both but at least there's a starting point for them to start looking for something they both adore!

Paul is one of my favorite boy's names, but it' really out of style! And I don't think it's coming back any time soon! Now Walter sounds unstylish, too, but it's so unstylish that I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back after a few years. But there are so many wonderful and cool boys' names out there, why not pick one of them and use Paul or Walter for a middle name.

I will toss in Phillip, Peter, Charles and Christian too!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

I honestly don't care for either, and if they can't agree, they haven't found the perfect name for their baby. :-)

Augustin
    August
    Chester
    Colin
    Calvin
    Dexter
    Dashiell
    Everett
    Edward
    Elias
    Hugo
    Jasper
    Lucas
    Leo
    Milo
    Nicholas
    Oliver
    Oscar
    Owen
    Paxton
    Patrick
    Phineas
    Simon
    Theodore
    Thaddeus
    Victor
    Vincent
    William
    Wilson
    Xavier

Best wishes to them!

I like paul- i'm probably partial since its my dad's name... and while it is out of style, i think that perhaps might be a positive on some level. walter is nice too though!
    either way, i love the vintage boy names :)
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

I like both names at the same level, so it's hard to decide! Paul is so small and sweet, I just want to squeal upon seeing him. While he isn't exactly "in style," I think he would be far more accepted than Walter. Walter is a name with such great character! I'd really love to see him on a toddler, it would be so refreshing. However, he is quite a grandpa name, so the kid would definitely have to be confident and have enough established character to wear it. I really can't decide between them, but I think you need to take into consideration what you're prepared to bestow on your child. I love Walter, but frankly Paul is miles easier to wear. Both great names, I think either way you'll be making a great decision! :D