Menu

Names for our future daughters :)

Hi everyone! My name is Amy, and I've been following nameberry name talk for six months now, checking back multiple times a day...I love all of your name tastes--classic unique and beautiful! :) Also you guys are all so nice! I participate sometimes, but I'm always overawed by all of your naming expertise so mostly i just listen :) but I have started thinking about name combos more and more and I LOVE names. I'm only 21, so I'm not expecting, but I've been dating my current boyfriend for the last five years, and we live together and go to school at Stanford. We have hardly ever disagreed about anything until 6 months ago when my best friend in the whole world got pregnant with his best friend in the whole world (they were engaged already), and we are soon to be godparents! All of a sudden we disagreed on NAMES haha. This is all in the future, so no pressure to respond, just thought if you had time it might be fun to think about, and I would love your thoughts. Ill just do just girls for now. (If you are curious, our future godchild will be Isla Claire if a girl and Odin something if a boy)

My style: classic with a little antique i think..very similar to many of yours
    examples: (there are tons)

Eleanor
    Josephine
    Mae
    Willa
    Adeline
    Beatrice
    Bryn (this is random i know)
    Elsa
    Clara
    Mabel (its fuddy duddy i know and everyone I say it to hates it, so I will just secretly love it and not name anyone this.)
    Helena
    Paloma
    Pearl
    Penelope

ok ill stop, there are a lot more.

his style is: conflicted/dated/spanish
    his suggestions have been, Melissa, Jennifer (dear god), Lauren, and Esme, Ria, Pia, (amazing, esme is more my style, but think the pronunciation is difficult for people, considering my bf said esmie when he suggested it). He has no idea about names (he thinks Isabel and Ava are still old lady names), but he does like talking about them with me :)

We would both like to honor family members, and our last name will be Hines (slightly distressing for me, since my family owns a food company named Amy's Kitchen, organic and healthy frozen and canned foods, named after me and people will all of a sudden think that I own Heinz catchup as well when i get married).

Family Names: (he is half mexican, I am Jewish by heritage. We are both bilingual and do spend quite a bit of time in Mexico)

*means most important, and we would use first or middle

My Grandmothers and great grandmothers
    *Eleanor Mae, *Clara June, Rose, Adeline, Anna, Rachel, Hannah, Augusta

His Grandmothers, Mother and Great Grandmothers
    *Elena del Rio, *Alma, Andrea, Anne, Violet, Rose

I can get him to go with almost any name that he would previously have dismissed if I say, Oh but its in the family! Except for Eleanor, which he says sounds like snore. And rose, because he doesn't like the flower (which im fine with, its a boring middle).

So far some combinations that we have sort of agreed on:

Willa Mae Hines (im an american lit major and Willa is my fav. female author)

Ria Elena Hines or Paloma Elena Hines (my problem with these is that when he says it with a thick mexican accent I swoon, and when my dad butchers it with his chicago drawl im like oh no! Also, if we have one daughter with a name like Ria Elena and another named Willa Mae, it sounds like they might come from different countries, do I need to incorporate both cultures into each name combo?)

Mae (nn maisie) we both like but have trouble with middles (and yes I've read the post on it :) Also...is Mae Hines too short of a name since most people don't include the middle when they say the name?

Anyway, if you guys get a chance and want to ponder some good combos to include these family names, I would love to see you work your magic! Thanks in advance :)

Re: Names for our future daughters :)

Eleanor: Love it

Josephine: Love it!

Mae: Love it, but not with Hines.. :-(

Willa: I adore Willa, but other names work a lot better with Hines. (The "a" ending throws it off...)

Adeline: A lovely name, but the repeated long I sounds in Adeline and Hines don't work for me:-( If you're pronouncing it Ad-a-leen, however, that's another story!

Beatrice: I love Beatrice, as well as Beatrix.

Bryn (this is random i know): I love so many of your other names much more than Bryn, plus I'm thinking Bryn is too short for Hines.

Elsa: Elsa is lovely, but I prefer others from your list. I'm also thinking that a name not ending in an A works best with Hines.

Clara: I llove Clara, but for me, the A ending ruins the flow with Hines...

Mabel (its fuddy duddy i know and everyone I say it to hates it, so I will just secretly love it and not name anyone this.): I actually like Mabel a lot, and I'm sure others do, too.

Helena: With Hines as a last name, I think I'd go with Helen.

Paloma: Same thing with the A ending, which may not bother you at all. It's probably just me! :-)

Pearl: A lovely name, but it's pretty short with Hines.

Penelope: So cute!

Willa Mae Hines (im an american lit major and Willa is my fav. female author): Willa Mae is so lovely, but for me, the a ending of Willa doesn't work that well with Hines. (It's not horrible by any means, but Josephine, for example, flows a lot better with Hines. )

I do love Paloma and Elena, but just not together.

Hmm...If you name one child a Spanish name, I do think you need to follow the theme because, as you said, Paloma and a name like Eleanor don't go together. I'm thinking, though, that you could find some vintage/classic names and pair them easily with the Spanish ones:

Eleanora Paloma
    Eleanora Marisol
    Eleanora Pearl
    Cleo Rafaela
    Cleo Rosalind
    Clara Liliana
    Clara Viviana
    Clara Josephine
    Flora Viviana
    Flora Catalina
    Josephine Rafaela
    Josephine Rosalind
    Josephine Estella
    Paloma Rafaela
    Paloma Rosalind
    Paloma Scarlett
    Elena Rafaela
    Eleanor Josephine
    Eleanor Mae
    Elena Viviana
    Elena Rosalie
    Elena Scarlett
    Eleanor Beatrice/Beatrice (Eleanor is great, as it honors both grandmothers...)
    Beatrice Josephine
    Beatrice Eleanor
    Willa Rosalinda
    Willa Viviana
    Augusta Paloma
    Augusta Viviana
    Rosalie Eleanor
    Rosalie Paloma
    Rosalie Seraphina
    Rosalie Viviana
    Rosalie Josephine
    Penelope Rosalind
    Penelope Marisol
    Esme Josephine
    Esme Rafaela
    Esme Paloma

Some other random names that could work with Hines:
    Annabelle/Annabel
    Allegra
    Daphne
    Elodie
    Georgia
    Georgiana
    Genevieve
    Juliet
    Louisa
    Mirabelle
    Phoebe
    Rosalie
    Stella
    Estella
    Viviana

(This belongs at the beginning, but I can't cut and paste on Nameberry.) Hi Amy! I had to laugh when I read that you're the namesake of Amy's Kitchen, as my freezer is overflowing with your family's food! :-) How funny! Isn't nameberry great? It's unlike any other site!

I love the names you've listed, and I think Hines is a great name with which to work. (Granted, you won't be able to use short names like Mae, but I think Hines flows beautifully with most names.)

Yes, your boyfriend is, um, challenged when it comes to names, but whose boyfriend isn't? I've reformed mine, so all is well in Nameland now.
    :-) Of his choices, I must say that Esme is one of my favorite names in the world. Have you thought about making him visit Nameberry? :-)

Congratulations on your friends' pregnancy. I love the girls names, but am a bit worried that a potential Odin will be teased with Odie, Odor, and Odd!

Best wishes to you!

Wow thanks so much Jill!!! these combinations are absolutely divine. I really like your idea of combining a classic name with a spanish name, and they sound good together in your combos. I'm super excited to started reading them to the bf. Hahaha I'm so happy to hear that your significant other got converted! I feel like there's still hope, and if I start slowly wearing him down now, he will be totally on my side by the time I get pregnant years down the road :)

I'm so glad you like our food! A funny name related story having to do with our food that I thought I would share...we just got a consumer letter last month from a mom who had just named her daughter Amy Joanna because she loves our food so much and all she ever ate during her pregnancy was our burritos. I'm not sure that that little girl will like being named after food (plus amy is a little dated, but I've never minded it, its sweet), but it was funny that a company got named after a baby and then a baby after the company. Thanks again!

Eleanor - love
    Josephine - love
    Mae - love as a middle
    Willa
    Adeline
    Beatrice - love
    Bryn (this is random i know)
    Elsa
    Clara - love, this is one of my most favorite names!
    Mabel (its fuddy duddy i know and everyone I say it to hates it, so I will just secretly love it and not name anyone this.)
    Helena - love
    Paloma - love
    Pearl - love as a middle
    Penelope - beyond love

ok ill stop, there are a lot more.

his style is: conflicted/dated/spanish
    his suggestions have been, Melissa, Jennifer (dear god), Lauren, and Esme, Ria, Pia, (amazing, esme is more my style, but think the pronunciation is difficult for people, considering my bf said esmie when he suggested it). He has no idea about names (he thinks Isabel and Ava are still old lady names), but he does like talking about them with me :)
    - I do not care for his choices at all, sorry! Except for Esme.

We would both like to honor family members, and our last name will be Hines (slightly distressing for me, since my family owns a food company named Amy's Kitchen, organic and healthy frozen and canned foods, named after me and people will all of a sudden think that I own Heinz catchup as well when i get married).
    - I like Amy's macaroni and cheese in the purple box with the rabbit. Is that your family's co? If so, I'm in awe because my daughter and I have eaten a ton of it.

Family Names: (he is half mexican, I am Jewish by heritage. We are both bilingual and do spend quite a bit of time in Mexico) - I have spent a ton of time in Mexico. My cousins grew up there until my oldest cousin was fourteen. They lived in Cuernavaca.

My Grandmothers and great grandmothers
    *Eleanor Mae, *Clara June, Rose, Adeline, Anna, Rachel, Hannah, Augusta - Grandma and Grandpa names are almost always the best! My faves are Clara (my grandmother's name, too), Rachel, and Anna. I love Augusta, too.

His Grandmothers, Mother and Great Grandmothers
    *Elena del Rio, *Alma, Andrea, Anne, Violet, Rose - love Violet and Anne

I can get him to go with almost any name that he would previously have dismissed if I say, Oh but its in the family! Except for Eleanor, which he says sounds like snore. And rose, because he doesn't like the flower (which im fine with, its a boring middle). - I have read that a lot of men don't care for the names Eleanor and Lillian whereas a lot of women love those names. The trick is to sell him on the nickname Nora.

So far some combinations that we have sort of agreed on:

Willa Mae Hines (im an american lit major and Willa is my fav. female author) - this is fun!

Ria Elena Hines or Paloma Elena Hines (my problem with these is that when he says it with a thick mexican accent I swoon, and when my dad butchers it with his chicago drawl im like oh no! Also, if we have one daughter with a name like Ria Elena and another named Willa Mae, it sounds like they might come from different countries, do I need to incorporate both cultures into each name combo?) I think he will say the name of your daughter even more than your father say it. I really love the names Paloma and Elena.

Mae (nn maisie) we both like but have trouble with middles (and yes I've read the post on it :) Also...is Mae Hines too short of a name since most people don't include the middle when they say the name? I would name her Margaret Mae Hines and call her Maisie. Because I just love the name Maisie!

Let me know if you like any of the above ideas and I will add to them. Love your taste in names! By the way, my husband was really difficult when the time came to name our kids. You are not alone.

Thanks susuan! :) I too loove the name clara. And Paloma. And Penelope. I just tried him on the nn Nora and he made a sorta nod! haha :) And no, the Macaroni with the bunny is by Annie's Naturals which is, ironically, owned by Heinz! You can see where this is going to go for me in the food world with the last name Hines! (Heinz owns 80% of the organic and natural food industry). We do make a frozen organic macaroni so as not to compete, if you are confused you can check out what our packaging looks like at amys.com...plus you can see what I look like :)

Jill mentioned that anything that ends with "A" sounds a little off with the name Hines. I said a bunch of combos out loud and I think I've figured out what it might be. Ending something with an a sounds like it could be ending with an ah, its very breathy, and Hines, starts with that exhaled H as well...maybe its the breathiness of the end and beginning together? However, I love so so many names that end in A and im not convinced that this sounds funny enough to discard them. What do you guys think?

Ok so: the only name that we have both gotten really excited about is Maisie. But you are all right, Mae is too short for Hines, and Margaret got the biggest thumbs down I've ever gotten. (worse than mabel). I'm starting to wonder if I could use Maisie as a NN for Esme? It has the Mae sound at the end and even the Z sound. What do you guys think? I was starting to really like Jill's suggestion of Esme Paloma...And if not, can I nn someone Maisie if their middle is Mae (like with Willa Mae, which doesn't have a good nn besides billie, which got turned down)? Can you think of any combo's with esme that somehow honor someone in the family....i'm not really feeling the double E with Esme Eleanor or Esme Elena...or is that just me.

My husband is difficult when it comes to names, but he actually likes the name Veronica. Just thought you might like Veronica and maybe he would like it. Go slowly with it. I would say, I like the name Veronica, not expecting any response. You could try Vivian, too. My husband started liking the names Oliver and Vincent, too. He also likes Leo. But we are getting too old to have babies.
    I love Esme nn Maisie. Very creative! But do you pronounce Esme Ezz-may or Ess-may?

Ez-may? Do you pronounce it Esmay? (my pronunciation comes from the movie twilight which is the only time i've heard the name outloud...so it could be wrong)

Hi, Amy. Using names that don't have A-endings with Hines (or any H name) is just a personal preference of mine, and I definitely don't think it's horrible enough for you to disown all A-ending names. :-) If it doesn't bother you at all, go for it!

I've never seen Twilight, but Esme has always been ez-may to me. Maisie for Esme would be darling! I, too, love Esme Paloma! It's so elegant! I was also thinking that Eliana Paloma (Hebrew, but also used in Spanish) would sound much better than Elena Paloma if you still wanted to use that variation of Elena/Eleanor.

You can nickname your baby anything you'd like, although certain names seem a more natural source for the name. Mabel, another name you liked, could also be a little Maisie, as could Mirabel/Mirabelle or Mariel/Marielle.

Maisie is so cute! :-)

Hi again, Amy. I just wanted to add that I wouldn't worry about your last name becoming Hines. Unless you choose to introduce yourself as Amy of Amy's Kitchen, people won't know what your family does for a living. :-) By that same token, it's not your present last name that is known (I'm gussing your last name is Berlin?) as a food company, so it's not as though you're a Hershey marrying a Heinz. (Plus, Hines and Heinz are spelled differently.) I highly doubt that anyone is going to think or know about the Heinz coincidence unless you choose to advertise it, so I wouldn't worry.

Hines is a great name, Amy Hines is darling, and your children's names will sound great with Hines, too. :-)

Thanks Jill :) I'm not too worried...the only people I'm going to have to explain myself to are the people in the food world (who I do interact with a lot) but I actually like Amy Hines quite a bit, even more than Amy Berliner (was never the biggest fan of my last name). Thanks again for all of your suggestions, im starting to fall in love with the name Rafaela, which I had never even considered before, because it was in so many of your combos :) Also made me start thinking about Raphael for a boy...hmm.