Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirei or Mirae?

Mirei or Mirae?

Do people feel like these are tough names to pronounce? We want to use this as a middle name, and I really like the name Mireille. We are looking for something unique that is a variation of sorts on Miranda. I want to simplify Mireille as much as possible for American pronunciation of the French sound. Which variation works best: Mirae, Mirei, Mirai, Mireil? Thanks!!

Re: Mirei or Mirae?

I much prefer the original spelling. All of these spellings are much more confusing to me than Mireille, granted, I took French in high school, but still, I don't think it should be that hard for people to pronounce. Plus, how often will people have to read her middle name and say it? Not often.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I love Mireille, too, and Miranda is lovely as well. Because you're using Mireille as a middle name, I don't think pronunciation issues are as important as they'd be if you were using it as a first name. If you don't mind correcting people the few times her full name is said aloud, I'd stick with Mireille. It's also very easy to pronounce when spelled phonetically (tell them in advance), so her name shouldn't be butchered during graduation ceremonies. :-)

Of your alternatives, I think Mirae is least likely to cause pronunciation issues, but as Lyndsay said, most of the alternatives you listed are more confusing than Mireille, which I don't think is confusing at all.

Other alternatives:
    Mira
    Mirabel
    Mirabelle
    Mariel
    Marielle
    Miriam

Best wishes to you! :-)

Mirie or Mirae?

I think Mirae is the easier of the two to pronounce (Mir-A?) But I love the suggestions of Mirabelle and Marielle.
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Mireille is pronounced meer-AY, and she was hoping that spelling it Mirae would make it easier to pronounce. :-)

I think I am just bad a typing pronounciations!

In my head Mir-A is the same as Meer-Ay! But now that you type it that way, I think that's a better way to type the pronounciation :)
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

You're great at typing pronunciations! I didn't see that you used a capital A! :-)

thank u for the feedback! Those are all good suggestions. I hoped all those variations would be read as meer-AY/mee-RAY but I can't really find info on the first two. I think Mirai is Basque for miracle and Mirei is Provencal short for Mireio meaning worthy of admiration or something?? It also seems to mean future in Korean? Can't find the pronunciations anywhere. But Mireil is alternate spelling for Mireille, just more concise? We are pairing this with Jalila (which is jah-LEE-la) so I feel like the middle should have less syllables. I love Mira, but it's too many ah sounds, and I get stuck on alot of the variations like Miri where I love the sound but it meaning turns out to be something like "bitter". I know day to day that shouldn't matter, but to us it really does... Mirae has all the lovely meanings attavhed to Mira... And don't you think people without a bachground in French will read Mireille as MEER-ee-ill? Is there a way it make it less confusing that I missed? Thanks again!

Yes, I do think that people unfamiliar with French will mispronounce Mireille as Meer-ee-ill. :-( I was just thinking that because it's a middle name, and people rarely address others aloud by their first and middle names, you wouldn't mind the potential mispronunciation as much as you would if Mireille was a first name.

I think I (and others) didn't mention the other two variations as they were more confusing than Mirea. It seems like most posters think that Mirea is the best option you listed if not using Mireille. I knew that your other two choices were pronounced as Meer-RAY, but it just wasn't obvious at first (and I'm sure Mirai will be pronounced as Meer-EYE by most). Personally, if not using Mireille, I think Mirea is your best bet!

What about the Mirelle version?

Jalila Mirea is lovely. :-)

Thank you! I thought jalila 'meer-ay' was pretty. But are you suggesting Mirea is best or Mirae?

Is Mirelle meer-ELL? I took 3 years of French but barely remember. Plus I think that's how people will say it... I like it a lot on its own, but a little less than mirae paired with jalila just because there is so much L sound overall. I should also say that we were considering extra middle names, and the one that I reAlly love is Carlen, meaning little champion. But it adds more L sound to the mix. So thinking of:
    Jalila Carlen Mirae
    Jalila Mirae Carlen
    Carlen Jalila Mirae

While I think visually it looks a little strange to have all the names with the same number of letters, I am also inclined to keep the versions/spellings as simple as possible to balance out the extra number of names (it is a family tradition on my side to give extra middle names). I love Mireille as well, but ive been writing it and saying it everywhere, and it is still challenging to spell, even for me, every time...

I know it's a lot of restrictions, but I prefer something that doesn't add any More L sounds to the mix which is why I didn't go with mirelle or mirele...

Input appreciated!!