Menu

Honoring the Virgin Mary (Boys)

Hello again and welcome to Part II of Papists naming Babies!!

So, how to honor Mary in your boys name??

There are relatively few male Marians. However, here they are to the best of my ability:

Gilmore

(Irish Gaelic meaning "servant of Mary." The meaning's great. Even the ethnicity is correct--husband's got some Irish back in there... But does anyone think "Gilmore Girls"?? Great show and all, but...)

Pax

(This is supercool--"Our Lady of Peace." But some celebrity named their child this, didn't they. Bradjolina? I don't recall...)

Rocco

(...Madonna (cough).)

And that's all I got. Any more??

With the obvious dearth of marians for boys, I am absolutely willing to consider non-marys for boys. Our favorite combos at the moment:

Hugo Jefferson

(Hugo is my husband's great grandfather who was a great, pioneering engineer. AND Hugo is just so awesome. AND Hugo is a saint. Jefferson is my dad's name.)

Charles Sinclair

(Charles is my grandfather's name, who recently passed away. Sinclair honors saint Clair of Assisi, which I think is so very cool! We would call him Sinclair.)

NOW, my questions is:
    Do you think that it would be horribly odd to tack a 2nd middle onto these combos? ...Namely (ha!) the name Marie?

Let me preface: "Marie"/"Maria" has been used for boys throughout the centuries, both as a Christian name (think Rainer Maria Rilke) and often as a Confirmation name. Couldn't I just slip it into the 2nd middle--no one would have to know!! (Husband is NOT convinced!!)

Hugo Jefferson Marie Winter

Charles Sinclair Marie Winter

If this is just too ridiculous, which of the male Marians work with these combos??

Hugo Jefferson Gilmore Winter

Hugo Jefferson Pax Winter

Charles Sinclair Rocco Winter....

I'm just not feeling it...!

Help??

Re: Honoring the Virgin Mary (Boys)

I love Charles Sinclair and Hugo Jefferson! Both great strong names!

Actuall Hugo Sinclair and Charles Jefferson are nice as well!

I would not throw Marie in the mix personally, as I would fear my Son would be embarassed in the future and I want my kids to LOVE their names! Would you consider Murray as a way to get there symbolically? Same sound, VERY different spelling and connotation to the world.
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

lola Guest

Quote Originally Posted by follow sybil
    Hello again and welcome to Part II of Papists naming Babies!!

So, how to honor Mary in your boys name??

There are relatively few male Marians. However, here they are to the best of my ability:

Gilmore

(Irish Gaelic meaning "servant of Mary." The meaning's great. Even the ethnicity is correct--husband's got some Irish back in there... But does anyone think "Gilmore Girls"?? Great show and all, but...)

Pax

(This is supercool--"Our Lady of Peace." But some celebrity named their child this, didn't they. Bradjolina? I don't recall...)

Rocco

(...Madonna (cough).)

And that's all I got. Any more??

With the obvious dearth of marians for boys, I am absolutely willing to consider non-marys for boys. Our favorite combos at the moment:

Hugo Jefferson

(Hugo is my husband's great grandfather who was a great, pioneering engineer. AND Hugo is just so awesome. AND Hugo is a saint. Jefferson is my dad's name.)

Charles Sinclair

(Charles is my grandfather's name, who recently passed away. Sinclair honors saint Clair of Assisi, which I think is so very cool! We would call him Sinclair.)

NOW, my questions is:
    Do you think that it would be horribly odd to tack a 2nd middle onto these combos? ...Namely (ha!) the name Marie?

Let me preface: "Marie"/"Maria" has been used for boys throughout the centuries, both as a Christian name (think Rainer Maria Rilke) and often as a Confirmation name. Couldn't I just slip it into the 2nd middle--no one would have to know!! (Husband is NOT convinced!!)

Hugo Jefferson Marie Winter

Charles Sinclair Marie Winter

If this is just too ridiculous, which of the male Marians work with these combos??

Hugo Jefferson Gilmore Winter

Hugo Jefferson Pax Winter

Charles Sinclair Rocco Winter....

I'm just not feeling it...!

Help??
    I went with Pope names for my boys, rather than the Mary angle. but again, that's because I knew so many Mary-Whatever girls growing up: Mary Anne, Mary Particia, ary Elizabeth, Mary Cecilia, Mary Jane, Mary Helen, Mary Josephine, Mary Frances, I could go on & on.

Charles Sinclair would be my top pick, Honors all the way around and Charlie is just adorable on a little one. (Not feeling Chuck, though, sorry) Chaz or Chas is another option, if you wish, for nickname potential. Charles Rocco Sinclair would work too (Charles Sinclair rocco sounds a bit choppy, but flip the Rocco & Sinclair and Viola!)

I think there's a Monoco Royal, Andrea perhaps, with Maria as a middle name? Andrea's a boy there. Maria as a middle for a boy works for me, but I can guarantee when the boys find out what his middle name is in about the 4th grade, he's in for a hassle. It's just not common here in the States anymore. If you're in Europe somewhere, I'd wholeheartedly endorse it for you. Seems a bit more acceptable there than here.

Hugo Jefferson works great! Honors a lot too and Hugo's fun to say. Feels a bit off on a tiny, skinny kid (I have chunky bruisers for boys) but would age beautifully too.

If I was thinking Mary for a second middle for a boy, it would be Maria, and yes, I think t could work as a second middle. I used family surnames for second middle on my boys, why wouldn't Maria work on yours? And yes, Maria over Marie, more traditional, Maria in the middle for a boy (except in French). Charles Rocco Maria, Hugo Jefferson Maria both work perfectly fine. If it would make your husband a bit easier, hardly anyone besides family knows my boys second middles and they're innocuous surname names. I doubt Maria as a second middle would hinder a boy of yours much at all. Hardly anyone knows my second middle either and my other half thinks his second middle is boring and hardly ever uses it. (to his credit, I didn't even know he had a second middle until we had been dating for 8 years!)

An if I were to think Marian, I'd go with Marion, Marian screams Maid Marian to me thanks to my minor obsession with Robin Hood but Marion says John Wayne to me. So, there's my thoughts on that, for what it's worth.

Time for me to go feed the girl, way past lunchtime for me!

I absolutely love Hugo Jefferson and Charles Sinclair or the other way around. I would definitely stay away from Marie or Maria...but why not just use the male sounding versions of those names? Mario is adorable, but if its too nintendo (which little boys won't mind, i promise, I babysit for a 6 year old with the middle mario and he loooves being mario in video games), what about Marius?

Hugo Jefferson Marius Winter

Hugo Marius Jefferson Winter

Charles Sinclair Marius/Mario Winter

I do, however, love Pax, and think that it works well in place of Marie in any of your combos. Its even a great first. Pax Sinclair Winter, etc. Rocco is very cute too. I think I would stay away from Gilmore because of the show, but Gilmer is a variant that I've heard people use, still meaning "servant of the Virgin Mary."

Hope some of this was helpful! Good luck :)

I second (or third/fourth) what the others have send, and would definitely stay away from a middle name that's long been sanctioned for girls.

Charles Sinclair and Hugo Jefferson are amazing names, as are Charles Jefferson and Hugo Sinclair (I flipped them to avoid the double S in Charles Sinclair).

As for Pax, yes, that's one of the Brangelina names, but I'm wondering about Paxton as an alternative?

Best wishes to you! :-)

I heard or read somewhere that the boy's name Martin has to do with the Virgin Mary. Has anyone else heard this? I think it would be honoring to Mary to name a son Joseph or Joshua. Joshua is basically the same name as Jesus.

I have no problem with Marie as a middle. I know a very old French guy named Jean-Marie and a very young Spaniard named Jose Maria, so I'm down with both of those. Be bold!