Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maisy?

Maisy?

Is Maisy a "legitimate" spelling option for Maisie? Love Maisie, but for some reason I don't like the look of the double i. Does Maisy seem like a made up spelling to you guys?

Re: Maisy?

Hmmm, I don't see a problem with it, with the exception she will have to correct people often. Are you considering this as a nickname for something or as an actual first name? I really like Maisie, though. I know a girl who's name is MacKenzie and goes by Mazie(?), so I think you could get away with changing it.

Maisy Mouse, the children's book and cartoon character, spells her name Maisy, so I'm pretty sure it's a "real" spelling of the name. Maisie/Maisy is a darling name! :-)

Yes, I would guess that since Maisie is such an old fashioned nickname, it took the "ie" ending fashionable for girls at that time -- like Maggie, Katie, Minnie, even Jennie -- but it could be Maisy like Daisy today.
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

I also really like Macy. I realize its a slightly different pronounciation but I think its very cute and unusual.

I think Maisy, Maisie, Macy, Maizy, are all adorable!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Great! That makes me feel much better. I love vintage nicknames, but usually with a more formal name to fall back on. (Probably because my name is Chrissy and I was always happy to have the option of using Christina when necessary.) Are there any other options besides Margaret for a formal name for Maisy? I like Margaret, but it's not one of my favorites. I do think Maisy can stand on it's own, but I'm just wondering. Thanks for the feedback!

I believe Margaret is the traditional but here are some others I think Maisy or Macy would work as a nn for:

Marissa nn Maisy
    Marcia nn Macy
    Marciella nn Macy
    Marie Soleil nn Maisy
    Mackenzie nn Maizy
    Marisabella nn Maisy
    Mercedes nn Maisie
    Messina nn Maisie (means middle child)
    Melissa nn Maisy
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Let's see...

May
    Mae
    Margot
    Margo
    Marlo
    Marjorie
    Marguerite
    Marian
    Marion
    Marielle
    Mariella
    Maris
    Marigold
    Maribel
    Mabel

I think Maisie/Maisy is one of those names that has a lot of flexibility. Joe Biden's granddaughter, Maisie, is actually named Roberta, for instance. Roberta Mabel (at least I think it's Mabel). (And no, I have no idea why I know this!)

i absolutely adore the name maisie and hope to use it someday for my baby. i think maisy is a fine way to spell it, but i do think she will have to correct people a lot. which isnt as big of a deal if thats not her legal name.

i have to say while i totally intend to call my child maisie i dont think that will be her legal name. my intention is to name her mae (a family name) and call her maisie. i just worry that with a name like maisie it would be hard to take seriously as an adult, like, Dr. Maisie, or Judge Maisie. i have a bit of an 80s girlie name and i just commented that i thought my name would sound stupid as a drs name to my mother. she agreed. thats just my two cents though.

i had a random thought at some point maisie could be a nickname for someone who was named Mae and then something like Zinnia or just that started with a Z.

love Maisie and Maisy, too.