Menu

Childrens names vs. Dogs names

There seems to be a recent trend in naming dogs people names (i am not sure if i should comment as our own puppy has a people name though it is rare.) i love the names lily, sadie, maisy, toby, and milo but in our neighborhood there are dogs of each of these names. Should this be a concern when naming a child?? i mean while i like the name i meet more daisy's that are dogs then are little girls. These cute kind of comfy names seemed to have been transfered from children to dogs. Should i even take this into consideration when naming my babies.

Re: Childrens names vs. Dogs names

Our dogs have always had people names. My first dog was Sam, then Simon, Casey, Ozzie, Emma, Sammy, Tess and Rocky.

My theory is that unless they're your dog or immediate family/best friends, don't worry about it and name your kids what you like!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

lola Guest

I second Erinpurple, if it's not yours or a dear family memeber's pet, I'd use it myself. And I'm one with Cosmo, Rufus, Bruno, Remy & Barnaby in my top 5, so I definitely practice what I preach! :D

My dog's name is Macy. It's unmistakably a dog name to me, but I've heard it on kids. I could never name my child Macy but I think Macie and Maisie are cute for little girls.

I see this as a problem, too. When my husband and I were expecting our first child, he insisted that she be named after his mom, Sandy. I had a dog named Sandy growing up, so I couldn't bear the thought. I tried coming up with different nicknames for Sandra, but he was adamant that our child would be called Sandy. We ended up naming her Cassandra with Sandie as a nickname. The different spelling helped and I hardly even think of our pet anymore. My second daughter is named Tasha. When whe moved into our new house, the previous owner's pet kept coming back. (They had moved not to far away.) That dog was named Tasha. I have decided to try not to give any future pets a people name!

lola Guest

Indeed, I had another thought on this. I love Gigi. Really, I'd happily name a daughter Georgiana or Genevieve and nn her Gigi but it was the name of his childhood poodle. *sigh* So Gigi's completely out. He'd think of the long gone dog everytime he said her name. That's not cool in my book. Now, if Gigi were a friend's dog, who lived far away (not like next door or anything), that would be different.

I'm still mourning the loss of Gigi. :(

I think it depend on the name and popularity I knew a dogs named Caitlin, John and Angelina and it doesn't change my view on the name, but others like Buddy, Brandy and Bailey, Daisy are so common on dogs. At one point both my next door neighbors had a dog named Bailey
    Yet Daisy hasn't been ruined for me like Bailey has in my personal experience. And might consider it when naming a child.

Just don't worry about if others will think this is too much of a dog name, if you don't then use it.