Menu

International Names

My husband and I have lived abroad several times in our lives, and although we live in the States now, we'd like to live abroad again in the future. I want to encourage my children to see the world and I'd love them to have names that would work in multiple languages/cultures.

So far, the only girls names I have that I think work well in multiple languages are Anna and Louisa.

And for a boy: Luca

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Top 10 Girls: Louisa, Helen, June, Frances, Elizabeth, Alice, Eleanor, Clara, Hazel, Sylvia
    Top 10 Boys: Henry, August, Samuel, Walter, Peter, William, Archer, Lewis, Theodore, Eliot

Re: International Names

Hi, Kim. Let's see...names that appear in many languages. Do you want the names to appear as is, or are spelling changes okay once international waters are crossed? Pronunciation may differ:

Amelia
    Amelie
    Audrey
    Anastasia
    Anna
    Annabel
    Beatrice
    Bella
    Caroline
    Cecilia
    Claire
    Clara
    Eliana
    Elena
    Francesca
    Grace
    Gabriella
    Helen
    Helena
    Josephine
    Julia
    Lila
    Lucy
    Liliana
    Lola
    Maria
    Margot
    Magaret
    Natalie
    Natasha
    Rose
    Sophia
    Simone
    Tatiana
    Viviana
    Veronica
    Alexandra/Alesandra
    Delphine
    Ingrid
    Valentina

Alexander
    Charles
    David
    Dashiell
    Edward
    George
    Henry
    James
    John
    Leonardo
    Liam
    Lucas
    Michael
    Matteas
    Milo
    Nicholas
    Oliver
    Peter
    Simon
    Vincent
    Victor
    William
    Adrian
    Lorenzo
    Mateo
    Orion
    Roman
    Stellan

Best wishes to you!

I'm not an expert on international names by any means! But I've heard that Enzo and Lena are really popular in many European countries. I think to avoid confusion, it would be best to avoid Celtic names if you're going to live in Italy, Spain, etc. Of course, if you're going to live in Asia, you might as well pick whatever name you want. I think if it were me, I would just pick names I really love. The names I love the most are classic, so they would probably work. I would choose, say, Charles and Lucy - ooh, sounds like Charlie Brown.

I LOVE Luca. One of my favorites!!!

Here are some others to consider. I think they would work well in europe and probably are simple enough for asia also.

Boys

Micah
    Alex
    Alec
    Nico
    Enzo
    Sebastian
    Thomas
    Nicholas
    Louis

Girls

Lori
    Laura
    Luisa (different spelling, more translatable to italian and spanish)
    Alexis
    Alexa
    Celia
    Cecily
    Margo
    Lila
    Macy
    Masie

Good luck!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

I have this problem with my name! The way the people say it where I live it sounds like they've got a throat infection. I've got a little bit of experience with this, though I can't say anything about Asia. I think there are lots of possibilities, but these are just off the top of my head (though there are definitely other versions and spellings in some countries):

Alexander
    Nicholas
    Sebastian, Thomas, Stephen, Phillip (though where I live these are kind of dated)
    Marcus
    David
    Michael
    Roman

Alina
    Elena
    Sophie/Sophia
    Marie/Maria
    Julia
    Anna
    Francisca
    Laura

I think that what doesn't work too well are names that have sounds that are special to a specific language, like the CH and TH sounds in English. For example, Greeks can pronounce Th in the name Bethany as English speakers do, but Germans would often say Bessany. And J is prounounced differently in a lot of languages -- if I were using a J name, I would try to use a classic so that there would be a familiar form in a lot of cultures.