Menu

Help me get inspired!! Please!!

My husband and I are expecting in the fall. I've been looking at name books and name sites, but I just can't seem to find any that jump out at me. My husband isn't really into the naming game right now, so I'm coming up blank with no help! My husband tends to lean towards classic names like Lily, Rose, Sophie, Joseph, Charles, Frank, and Peter. (He gave them an ok which is the best I can get out of him.) He really balks at names he considers "frou frou." (Like Phineas, Archer, Valentine, Tegan, Tessa, and Felicity) With girl names, I can probably be more creative and get away with it. He also mentioned he doesn't care so much about the middle name. I'm ok with classic names, but our last name is common here and I don't want our baby to be one of 10 people with the exact same name. ( There are three other people with my first and last name registered at the local library!)

Re: Help me get inspired!! Please!!

Lily, Rose, Sophie, Joseph, Charles, Frank, and Peter - my husband only likes classic names, too! We even have a son named Peter. His middle name is Sebastian. My husband said I could pick any middle name I wanted. But I loved Peter, too! As beautiful as Sophie is, I would stay away from it. It is so common. Unless you don't mind it if your daughter has the same name as a whole bunch of other girls. Lily is pretty common, too, but not as much as Sophie. Rose is the most common middle name. I think all your classic boys' names are fine.

Phineas, Archer, Valentine, Tegan, Tessa, and Felicity - You can use one of these for a middle.
    Raymond, Allan, Arthur, Carolleen, Angela, or Samantha - I love all these names except for Angela. I prefer Angelica. Wait I also love Caroline and don't really like Carolleen. But if you really want to honor someone you love, go ahead and use their name. Nowadays I wish I had honored my Grandpa Bernard and named my son Peter Bernard. Because even though I absolutely love the name Sebastian, I never knew anyone I loved to pieces named Sebastian.

Sophia/Sophie - too common, I think, but stunningly gorgeous.
    Lillie, Lillian, Liliana, Lilla, Lilou, Leila - these are all getting so popular, but they are so pretty!
    Abigail - very, very common, too, but I do really adore it and the nn Abbie!
    Ruby - trendy, but vintage, and I love it
    Pearl - love this as a middle, but don't put it with a first name that starts with a "p".
    Phoebe - this is my fave of your choices for girls!
    Rosaleen - I prefer Rosalie - oh, yeah, you want the "leen" at the end. Go for it.
    Max (I'm having a really hard time with boys names.) Lately the posters on Nameberry are all smitten over the name Maxfield. It is gorgeous! I also love Maxwell nn Max so very much! It is very popular though. Not in the top ten however.

I hear you... I thought my husband was the same way... but the more I test him with strong but unusual names, the more he realizes that he likes some of them. Okay so a brother or sister for Peter (I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peter but have a P last name so I can't use it!)

Here are some to get you started!

Phillip
    Alastair
    Leo
    Lewis
    Elliot
    Rowland
    Lucas
    Marc
    Caleb
    Christian
    Christoff
    Colin
    Patrick
    Hudson
    Isaac
    Eli
    Ian
    Noah
    Micah
    Austin
    Jett
    Owen
    Evan
    Ewan
    Caleb
    Carson
    Clayton nn Clay
    Broden nn Brody
    Neil
    Andrew nn Drew

Audrey
    Alexis
    Macy
    Jules
    Alexa
    Leila
    Norah
    Maya
    Paige
    Caroline
    Claire
    Alice
    Celia

... Hope that helps!
    Emme
    Amelie
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Congratulations! What an exciting time for you. Okay. So, your husband wasn't born with the gene that causes him to love naming his offspring. That's okay, because you have Nameberry. :-) We are obsessed with names, and you can write about them here to your heart's content. :-)

I, too, am a fan of classic/vintage names, and really love so many of the names you've listed (even the pets' names). You'll find the perfect name for your baby, not too frou-frou or too frumpy, and all will be well in your world.

Sophia/Sophie: I love everything about this name, but so does half of the world! It's uber popular, but if this doesn't bother you, go for it. Sophia was my aunt's name, and it's definitely on my list in spite of its well-deserved popularity.

Lillie, Lillian, Liliana, Lilla, Lilou, Leila: I love the Lil names, including Lila. Of the one's you've listed, I love Liliana the most.

Abigail: Another gorgeous classic, but it's also very popular. As you're worried about being too common, I'd stay away from names that are overused.

Ruby: I really love Ruby, and while it's popular, it's less popular than Sophia and Abigail.

Pearl: Darling!

Phoebe: I LOVE Phoebe! Love it! Three cheers for Phoebe!

Rosaleen: LOVE Rosaleen! This immediately popped into my mind when I read about your eenie tradition.

Max (I'm having a really hard time with boy names.): A great name, but I prefer Maxwell or Maxfield.

Some more names (hopefully not too frou-frou):
    Amelia
    Anna
    Anne
    Anneliese
    Beartrice
    Beatrix
    Charlotte
    Cora
    Cordelia
    Camille
    Diana
    Daphne
    Eliza
    Eleanor
    Emmeline (probably too girlie for him)
    Esme (es-may)
    Eloise
    Fiona
    Frances
    Georgia
    Genevieve
    Helen
    Helena
    Hope
    Isla (eye-la)
    Iris
    Ivy
    Juliet
    Julia
    Jane
    Josephine
    Katherine
    Louisa
    Lucy
    Lydia
    Lila
    Matilda
    Miranda
    Mariel
    Natalie
    Nell
    Rosalie
    Scarlett
    Susannah
    Tess
    Tamsin
    Violet
    Vivienne
    Violet
    Willa

Alexander
    Andrew
    Benjamin
    Colin
    Calvin
    Charles
    David
    Dashiell
    Dexter
    Declan
    Edward
    Elias
    Everett
    Finnegan
    George
    Henry
    Harrison
    James
    Jasper
    Leo
    Lucas
    Liam
    Milo
    Miles
    Matthew
    Maxwell
    Maxfield
    Nicholas
    Nathaniel
    Oliver
    Patrick
    Quinten
    Quinlen
    Robert
    Spencer
    Samuel
    Simon
    Theodore
    William
    Wyatt
    Xavier

Good luck! :-)

Thank you to all who gave such wonderful suggestions.

Oh I'm so so sorry. You have the love and support of everyone at nameberry for your loss. My mom miscarried quite a bit before she had me, and she always said if she hadn't, she wouldn't have gotten the perfect me :) Your perfect baby is coming soon...
    -Amy