Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

middle name dilemma

Hey everyone, I posted a few weeks ago asking for opinions on the name Raphael. That passed the test and is going to be our baby's first name, but now the middle name is being a bit tricky. My husband ab-so-lutely insists on Jackson. I actually like the name, but it's sooo trendy right now, and trendy has never really been my taste, whether for names or any other part of life! But since that's my only real problem with it and it's the middle name -- not the first -- I think I can deal with it and make hubby happy. But does anyone see any other problems with the flow of Raphael Jackson? He's due in two weeks...Thanks so much!

lola Guest

Re: middle name dilemma

Unless your surname is a two syllable and he'll be addressed as Raphael Jackson on a fairly regular basis (I call out my daughter's middles quite often at home), I see no major problem with the flow of Raphael Jackson.

I wonder why he's stuck on a surnamey thing? Have you tried offering John as a middle, in place (since John = Jack - Jack's son = Jackson). I find the clash between classic Raphael & trendy, surname Jackson a bit jarring myself but not so much that I'd discount it if he really loved it. But if I really loved a name and he didn't, I'd offer "Come up with a compromise" few suggestions and try there.

Overall though, there's no major problem with Raphael Jackson.

I kind of think "jarring" too about the combination. Actually it has nothing to do with surnames. This might sound funny, but he loves the name Jackson because of the Johnny Cash song. He's a huge Johnny Cash fan, and even wants to name our someday-dog San Quentin (or one of those jails Johnny sings about). So maybe your suggestion John is a possible compromise, however it's always been a little boring for me.

And yes, our last name has two syllables. *Sigh.* Maybe I should go search a Johnny Cash song list. hehe.

lola Guest

Why not search out a list like that? A name from a Johnny Cash song (as long as it's not Sue!) would be a fun link to Papa's favorite musician. (Mine wants Floyd, for Pink Floyd, I told him no way! Not Roger, either!)

Did you know Johnny Cash was born J. R. Cash and didn't become John R. Cash until joining the Army?

I've been googling for a "list of names from Johnny cash songs" but am having no luck so far. I have found Porter & Bill (William) though and I think Cash itself would make a pretty awesome middle for the gorgeous Raphael!
    Just trying to help here, I hope it's working. :D

It IS a help. And I appreciate the Pink Floyd detail, that made me smile. Raphael Cash is a great suggestion, but our last name ends with sh and I think the combo would sound kind of weird. BTW I approached hubby and he totally understood, which makes me want to find a good solution because I do like to make him happy :)...I think I need to get creative here and start googling. If you think of anything else, do tell!

How about Raphael Sue from A Boy Named Sue? Ha! Just kidding!

Here are a couple of cash-related names:
    Rusty (Rusty Cage)
    Laredo (Streets of Laredo)
    Porter (Hey Porter)
    Green (Green Green Grass of Home)
    Carpenter (If I Were a Carpenter)
    Abner Brown
    Austin (Austin Prison)
    Joshua (Joshua Gone Barbados)
    Matthew (24 is knocking at the door)
    Sam Hall
    Baron (The Baron)
    Lee (the General Lee)
    Jordan (I won't have to cross Jordan Alone)

I like Raphael Porter and Raphael Lee!

Love Johnny Cash! What a great way to find a middle!

Good Luck!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Why not Raphael Quentin?

Raphael Quentin and Raphael Porter are my favs so far!

Raphael Quentin is awesome, Melissa!