Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Round One

Round One

Hi Everyone

Okay I thought I would share our preliminary list. We are just now TTC but have had a name list going since we got married two years ago.

Our last name starts with a P and also has a strong R and K sound.

Middle names are family names but the combos can change for the boys (Mark and Matthew. Also could use Lawrence, Lee, Henry or Gregory but prefer Mark/Matthew if our first is a boy.)

List goes from most favorite at the top.

Boys:
    Charles Mark nn Charlie (we both love this and it is the clear front runner and has been for some time)

Everett Mark or Everett Matthew nn Rett (I LOVE this, Hubby is okay but not in love)

Rowan Mark or Rowan Matthew (As a redhead we have a chance at having our own little redhead. I loved this name before knowing the meaning, but love it even more now! only thing is that my 6 month old nephews name is James Bowen but they call him Bo. Is that weird to pick a name that rhymes with Bowen?)

Lucas Mark / Luke Matthew / Luca Mark (Love Luke, but concerned slightly with the K sounds in first and last name, especially when you say it without the middle name, as this will be what he is called by most people in life. Also, is Bo and Luke waaay too reminiscent of Dukes of Hazzard? My hubby thinks that is kind of cute, but we need honesty here!)

Marek Lawrence (Hubby is of Czech descent and his dads name is Mark, Marek is the Czech version of Marek LOVE it BUT, my husbands name is Derek so is Marek too rhymey? Or just too confusing with a difficult last name like ours?)

Thos are the favs, but others in the next tier are:
    Ian Mark
    Reese Mark
    Robson Mark nn Robby (Hubby loves this, I am not crazy about Robby)
    Dylan Mark
    Scott Lawrence
    Reid Matthew (Reed is a family name on my step-moms side I feel it would be wrong to honor step family before real family... but is does it honor only if we spell it Reed?)
    Miles Lawrence
    Dane Matthew

Girls:
    Alexandra Marie nn Andie
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie (We both LOVE the nn Andie, but struggle a little with the full name I dont like Andrea so these were the two next best fit I could come up with.)

Rowan Marie (I had not thought about using this for a girl until I saw another post, but I think its very cute!)

Caroline Marie (A little more serious than the others)

Remi Marie (I LOVE Remi but am not sure if it can stand on its own or if it needs a longer name. If so, WHAT?)

Avery Marie

Elliott Marie (We both like Elliott for a girl, thoughts?)

Reese Marie (Again, okay for a girl?)

So there is round one let me know your thoughts on those and if you have any others that I might want to consider! You guys ARE the experts!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Re: Round One

Boys:
    Charles Mark nn Charlie- love this, nice, strong boys name. can't really go wrong with this one.

Everett Mark or Everett Matthew nn Rett- ooh, i like this a lot! so handsome, especially with the nickname Rett! Both middle names sound great with it, but I think my vote is for Mark.

Rowan Mark or Rowan Matthew - Rowan is really cute, and I much prefer it for a boy. Especially cool since you have red hair. Does your nephew go by Bowen or just Bo? If it's just Bo, I'd say it's ok... but if they call him Bowen, yeah, I think it'd be a little weird, since they'll be rather close in age. Do you see him a lot? That makes a difference.

Lucas Mark / Luke Matthew / Luca Mark- hmm, I would be concerned about the K sound, too. these are all great names, you just need to decide how much that would bother you... it would bother me, especially with Mark in the middle.

Marek Lawrence- I really like Marek, but not so much with dad named Derek. What about as a middle name? Charles Marek, Rowan Marek, I think those are really nice!

Ian Mark- i can take or leave Ian
    Reese Mark- i like it
    Robson Mark nn Robby- I prefer Robert, but I'm with you on Robby.
    Dylan Mark- i like others on your list much better, this is dated
    Scott Lawrence- ditto
    Reid Matthew- to me, it would still be honoring. how about Reeve?
    Miles Lawrence- I like Miles, a lot more popular than most of your other choices.
    Dane Matthew- don't really like this one

Girls:
    Alexandra Marie nn Andie- Very pretty
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie- I don't particularly like Adrienne. I think nearly any An name could be called Andie, even the simple Anne. Amanda works well, too.

Rowan Marie- I'm not really into unisex names, but this is cute for a girl. I still much prefer it for boys, though.

Caroline Marie- a lot simpler than all your other names, very nice though.

Remi Marie- it's too nicknamey for me, but I can't think of a longer name for it.

Avery Marie- a little trendy

Elliott Marie- ok, I normally don't like unisex names, but this is cute! This is my favorite of your girls!

Reese Marie- definitely ok for a girl, I like it.

Everett is my pick for a boy, Elliot for a girl. I'm really loving Everett!

Some ways to get to Andie-
    Andromeda- this is a character on Kyle XY, who goes by Andie
    Ananda- Hindi name that means "bliss"
    Andorra
    Andrelle
    Andressa
    Andrette
    Andretta
    Andzela
    Andris
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Middle names are family names but the combos can change for the boys (Mark and Matthew. Also could use Lawrence, Lee, Henry or Gregory but prefer Mark/Matthew if our first is a boy.)

Boys:
    Charles Mark nn Charlie - love this. But I'm thinking that perhaps it's a bit "r" heavy with your last name. Since both Charles and your last name have two syllables, it would be great to have a middle name with either one syllable or three or more syllables. Charles Matthew (P----) is kind of staid. But it is handsome.

Everett Mark or Everett Matthew nn Rett Everett Matthew is really good with your last name. Not so many "r's". A variety of syllables.

Rowan Mark or Rowan Matthew (As a redhead we have a chance at having our own little redhead. I loved this name before knowing the meaning, but love it even more now! only thing is that my 6 month old nephews name is James Bowen but they call him Bo. Is that weird to pick a name that rhymes with Bowen?) I think it would be a little odd to have their names rhyme since they are first cousins.

Lucas Mark / Luke Matthew / Luca Mark (Love Luke, but concerned slightly with the K sounds in first and last name, especially when you say it without the middle name, as this will be what he is called by most people in life. Also, is Bo and Luke waaay too reminiscent of Dukes of Hazzard? My hubby thinks that is kind of cute, but we need honesty here!) Yeah, Luke with your last name is tricky. Don't really like the combo. But I love the name Luke so much! There are some names that I really love that don't work with my last name either. Like Lucy. Everyone has this problem.

Marek Lawrence (Hubby is of Czech descent and his dads name is Mark, Marek is the Czech version of Marek LOVE it BUT, my husbands name is Derek so is Marek too rhymey? Or just too confusing with a difficult last name like ours?) I'm liking this! But too "r" heavy. Would use a different middle name. Well, actually it doesn't sound bad. What do the other posters think? The "n" in Lawrence helps soften everything.

Ian Mark - Ian seems a bit dated.
    Reese Mark - sounds good with your last name but I would change it to Reese Matthew.
    Robson Mark nn Robby (Hubby loves this, I am not crazy about Robby) I don't really like Robby, either.
    Dylan Mark - a bit dated
    Scott Lawrence - definitely dated. Very trendy thirty years ago.
    Reid Matthew (Reed is a family name on my step-moms side I feel it would be wrong to honor step family before real family... but is does it honor only if we spell it Reed?) I really like Reed Matthew.
    Miles Lawrence - sounds good with your last name, and I love both names Miles and Lawrence. Lawrence of Arabia - incredible film!
    Dane Matthew - I like some of your other choices more than Dane, but Dane does work with your last name.

Girls:
    Alexandra Marie nn Andie - "R" heavy. I would use a different middle name. Love Andie as a nn for Alexandra. Could also use Alessandra - less common than Alexandra.
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie (We both LOVE the nn Andie, but struggle a little with the full name I dont like Andrea so these were the two next best fit I could come up with.) I love Adrienne! But I would use a different middle because of the "r" situation.

Rowan Marie (I had not thought about using this for a girl until I saw another post, but I think its very cute!) rhymes with Bowan. Are these two cousins going to see a lot of each other?

Caroline Marie (A little more serious than the others) "R" heavy

Remi Marie (I LOVE Remi but am not sure if it can stand on its own or if it needs a longer name. If so, WHAT?) Remi is pretty, can't figure out a longer name. Marie "r" problem again. Three two syllable names. Thought about it. What about Remi as a nickname for Rosamond? Why not? It's a free country. Rosamond sounds very nice with your last name, but don't like it with middle name Marie.

Avery Marie - Avery has a pretty sound with your last name.

Elliott Marie (We both like Elliott for a girl, thoughts?) I like Ellery better. A bit more feminine.

Reese Marie (Again, okay for a girl?) This would work for a girl and sounds nice with your last name. Are you going to have more children? If you name your daughter Reese, then that will really affect what you name your other kids.

If you are drawn to the middle name Marie because of honoring reasons, then stay with it. Otherwise I would choose a middle name that doesn't have an "r". I can tell that you love the sound "r". I love it, too. Both my kids have "r's" in their first names. But "r" is a very strong sound, so I think that it should be used sparingly and not in every one of their names.

Rosamond Louise P----- nn Remi
    Marek Henry P-------

I love Everett as well! I think Everett Matthew would be a really strong name. I personally like Rowan for a girl more than for a boy, just because I think a little girl nn Ro would be pretty darn cute, but I agree that Elliott Marie is my favorite of your girl names. Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

James Bowen is a cousin our child will definitely see a lot of as they live close and we are a tight knit family... that being said they only call him Bo and never Bowen alone. Sometimes my mom will call him his full name, but it is mostly Bo. I am heart broken if Rowan is out completely because of the rhyming but I also don't want to do something weird for our family.

I also just looked up Reid and it means redhead also, so that might be moving higher up my list.

Lyndsay, thanks for the suggestions for more An names... Andra might be another one I would consider, but for me Alexandra and Adrienne are still top I think. I am glad you like Elliott! I might also consider this for a Boy... Elliott Mark? I also like your idea of using Marek in the middle instead of Mark... this would be very special to Derek's Czech grandparents.

Susan, I think Ellery is growing on me but I have a hard time with Rosamond for a girl... maybe its the hard ending with the D? Marie is my middle and my mom's and I know it would mean a great deal to her to continue the tradition. One thought was to do Rosemarie for a first name and then choose a different middle, incorporating it that way to get my Remi?

okay so what I am hearing is we like:
    Charles Mark nn Charlie
    Charles Marek?
    Everett Matthew nn Rett
    Everett Lawrence?
    Elliott Mark?
    Rowan Matthew (if the rhyming isn't weird with Bo)
    Reese Matthew
    Reid Matthew
    Miles Lawrence
    and maybe Luke Henry?

Alexandra Marie nn Andie
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie
    Elliott Marie
    Rowan Marie (again maybe weird rhyming with Bo... better if its used for a girl?)
    Ellery Marie
    Rosemarie ______? nn Remi
    Caroline Marie is just ok, like other better

I think I have captured it. Thoughts?

If Bowen is called Bo, maybe Rowan would be fine.

I love Andra! Marek is a cool middle name.

I really love the name Rosemary nn Remi!

Charles Mark nn Charlie
    Charles Marek - for me, this is more cushy than Charles Mark. I love cushy!
    Everett Matthew nn Rett - distinguished and handsome
    Everett Lawrence? distinguished, too
    Elliott Mark? So lovely
    Rowan Matthew (if the rhyming isn't weird with Bo) yeah
    Reese Matthew like it
    Reid Matthew love it
    Miles Lawrence cool!
    and maybe Luke Henry? I need to think about Luke with your last name

Alexandra Marie nn Andie I could get used to this! pretty! even though there are a lot of "r's"
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie same as above
    Elliott Marie cool
    Rowan Marie (again maybe weird rhyming with Bo... better if its used for a girl?) I like Rowan on a girl
    Ellery Marie love this
    Rosemarie ______? nn Remi super love it.
    Caroline Marie is just ok, like other better a bit blah compared to Rosemary, but I do really love the name Caroline. I think it's fun to go a little wild considering your last name is unusual and sounds like purple. Remi P----- is a lot of fun.

I think I have captured it. Thoughts?[/quote]

lola Guest

Late again!
    First off, I have to tell you, looking at your description of your surname, my mind instantly thought of a two syllable one that I've been using in my head to sound these out in full. Is it two or more (or less) syllables? Sometimes knowing the syllable count helps too. But here's some preliminary thoughts.

Charles Mark nn Charlie ) a bit bland but perfectly fine.
    Charles Marek - I adore Marek and think it's an awesome nod to mark and your heritage. it's a bit rhymey with Derek, yes but in the middle, does no harm.
    Everett Matthew nn Rett - I'm not liking the double set of double t's here, looks a bit storybookish. I much prefer the following Everett combo.
    Everett Lawrence - Now this is handsome, spiffy and sharp. And Rett is a great nickname!
    Elliott Mark - If this was Elliott Marek, I'd love it. Mark bores me to tears, but then, I'm just over 40 and grew up with hundreds of Mark/Marc guys. Feels middle aged to me. Marek doesn't.
    Rowan Matthew - I LOVE Rowan on a boy! And Rowan Matthew is darned handsome. (Would you condiser Rowan Mathias? (Ma-TEE-us?) A bit less popular Matt-variant. I wouldn't think Rowan & Bo are too rhymey. I'd use it, I've seen worse!
    Reese Matthew - Reese always reminds me of the candy (Reeses?) Rhys is still (reece) but more masculine looking. if that interests you. Rhys Matthew is really gorgoeus and would be a clear winner for me!
    Reid Matthew - Nice, preppy and boyishly handsome. I'd instinctively spell Reed, sight unseen, so you may want to consider that spelling, might be easier in the long run, for him. *shrug* of course, I'm a little bit Hippy, so take what I say with a grain of salt! Reid is handome too.
    Miles Lawrence - Oooh! I love Miles! (My daughter would have been a Miles has she been a he). Miles Lawrence (I prefer the alternate Laurence, myself) is really handsome and strong. I love this!
    and maybe Luke Henry? - Make it Lucas Henry or Lucan Henry and you'll sell me. Luke is too informal and casual feeling for me to like but I don't mind Luke as a nickname. Just blah. But Lucas Henry or the less common Lucan Henry is gorgeous!

Alexandra Marie nn Andie Alexandra is gorgeous. Popular, yes but classic (and classy) Andie's an ususual nickname choice, I heartily approve.
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie - I LOVE Adrienne! So sweet and underused these days! I would use this in a heartbeat! (and I'm trying to talk my other half into considering Annette!)
    Elliott Marie - I know several male Elliott's and while I know this is going girly, I fear a balckslide to the boys will hurt a girl Elliot. I'd avoid it myself, but she at lest hs the cute (if overused) option of Ellie or Ella, should she want more girly. (Me, I'm so tired of Ellie already!)
    Rowan Marie - I know a lot of people consider trees names to be unisex in orientation but all I think when I see Rowan is guy, so I can't really be objective on this one. I don't like it on a girl. Especiall with a boy cousin witha similar sounding name, Rowan definitely feels boyish.
    Ellery Marie - See Elliot for my thoughts and just replace Elliot with Ellery. I know a band with this name too, it's the lead guitarists last name and he's a cool dude, so again, it's weird for me. And I'm really tired of Ellie (which is what I've called every Elephant I've ever had too) so Ellie does nothing for me.
    Rosemarie ______? nn Remi - Rosemarie is gorgeous and grows up very well.(Rosemary is the simpler love for me) Remi s not an instinctive nickname for me, Romy is or Rosie. Remi is an odd looking Remy to me, and Remy is boyish , my number 2 name for a boy of ours! So Remi works, but Romy works better, I think. Rosemarie Alexandra? Rosemarie Caroline? Rosemarie Elliot?
    Caroline Marie - I adore Caroline. She's simple, strong, beautiful and classic. Can't go wrong with Caroline. I have a GF named Caroline who has never been nicknamed, She's always simply been Caroline. I think it's gorgeous. But if it's only :meh: to you, then pass. It feel princessy to me without being fluffy (and in my book, if it was good enough for Princess Grace, then it's good enough for me!) Now if I could only talk my other half into it. He'd rather Zuleika. *sigh* talk about expecting a lot!

I hope that helped some!

I am beginning to love Rosemarie to get my Remi! Rosemarie Claire sounds nice, don't you think? Alexandra Marie nn Andie is definitely still up there for me though.

Do you think Rhett could stand on its own? If I had twins they would SO be Everett Matthew and Rosemarie Claire nn Rett & Remi! I suppose its a long shot, but we do both have fraternal twins in the family!

I still love Charlie also, and am liking Elliott for a boy more and more. I might have to ask family about Rowan when we actually have something to talk about... if we get serious about that one it probably warrants a check in with the fam as much as I would like to avoid that.

Well I feel good about my list... no real use in narrowing it down now! But it is very fun to think about and thanks to everyone for playing along! Now we just need to get down to it! ha!

Hi Erin! :-)

Charles Mark nn Charlie: I LOVE Charles, and while Charles Mark does flow well, I'm preferring your Marek option. Charles Marek. Charles Matthew and Charles Henry (LOVE Henry) are awesome, too.

Everett Mark or Everett Matthew nn Rett: Everett Matthew is awesome! Rett as a nickname is very cool, too!

Rowan Mark or Rowan Matthew: Due to cousin Bo, I wouldn't use Rowan. What about as a middle name?

Lucas Mark / Luke Matthew / Luca Mark: Lucas and Luca are lovely names. All of these combos are great. As for cousin Bo (those cousins are sure making things tricky, eh? Can't we get them to cooperate?), I don't think he should stop you from using Luke. If, on the other hand, Luke and Bo were siblings, then, well, that would be, uh, a no-no.
    :-)

Marek Lawrence (Hubby is of Czech descent and his dads name is Mark, Marek is the Czech version of Marek LOVE it BUT, my husbands name is Derek so is Marek too rhymey? Or just too confusing with a difficult last name like ours?): Marek is awesome, but I'd personally use it as a middle to honor Derek.

Ian Mark: I'm not feeling love for Ian, but Ian Marek is cool.

Reese Mark: Reese has been completely Witherspooned for me, and I can only see it on a girl. I'd definitely go with Reid here!

Robson Mark nn Robby (Hubby loves this, I am not crazy about Robby): An interesting name, but if you're not feeling it, don't use it!

Dylan Mark: Dylan's too dated for me...

Scott Lawrence: Scott's not doing anything for me, but it does flow nicely...

Reid Matthew (Reed is a family name on my step-moms side I feel it would be wrong to honor step family before real family... but is does it honor only if we spell it Reed?): I really love this one, Erin! And any spelling will do!

Miles Lawrence: LOVE Miles! Milo is fantastic, too! Miles Henry is great!

Dane Matthew: I'm not loving Dane, but Dane Matthew sounds lovely.

Boy suggestions just for funzies:

August
    Roman
    Sebastian
    Elias
    Donovan
    Devon
    Ronan
    Finnegan
    Davis
    Shepherd
    Calvin
    Colin
    Liam
    William
    James
    Quinn
    Griffin
    Dashiell

Girls:
    Alexandra Marie nn Andie: Pretty!
    Adrienne Marie nn Andie: What about Adriana?

Rowan Marie (I had not thought about using this for a girl until I saw another post, but I think its very cute!): Brooke Shields has a female Rowan (sister is Grier). Rowan Marie is cute. :-)

Caroline Marie: Love Caroline!

Remi Marie: Not a fan of Remi, but I do like Romy and Romilly.

Avery Marie: Not my style, and I like other choices better...

Elliott Marie (We both like Elliott for a girl, thoughts?): I like Elliott, but for a boy. :-)

Reese Marie (Again, okay for a girl?): Too ee heavy for me, but I like Reese better on a girl than on a boy.

More ideas:

Audrey
    Adriana
    Amelia
    Aurora (nn Rory, which I think means redhead)
    Aveline
    Adeline
    Adelia
    Clementine
    Romy
    Rory
    Romilly
    Emery
    Eden
    Scarlett
    Charlotte
    Darcy
    Fiona
    Harper
    Quinn
    Tamsin
    Tess
    Violet
    Bronwyn
    Tierney
    Ainsley

Thanks for sharing your list! You have so many great names! :-)

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your suggestions too I like Audrey but am concerned Audrey Marie is too many eee sounds. I also like Emery but I know my mom would say like an Emory board?. I also like Ainsley but once I told my mom she liked that name (this yeas years ago) and she told me it sounded like I made it up! Ha! You can see why I am hesitant to discuss names with family!

I still think my top two boys are Charles Mark/Marek nn Charlie and Everett Matthew nn Rett, and top two girls are Alexandra Marie nn Andie and Remi if I can figure out a full name that makes sense. I also still like Elliott Marie for a girl a lot too, as does DH but not for a boy he told me yesterday. Though I know some might think its a stretch to use it for a girl, I think thats okay. She would just have to be a tough little cookie to hold her own! (Which I am sure any child of mine will be!)

I think I may have to give up on Rowan alas :) Another derivation I found was Rowland that would be different enough from James Bowen not to be weird. Only would work for a boy though I think. Rowland Marek sound nice...

Thanks again everyone! Hopefully to be continued sometime this summer!