Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adeline

Adeline

Is it automatically assumed that Adeline is pronouned "Add-a-line"? Is there another way of spelling it to make it sound like Madeline without the "M"? Thanks!

Re: Adeline

I love Adeline! You've spelled it correctly, and personally, I don't recommend changing the authentic spelling of a name, as it simply makes it look misspelled. :-) If you're worried about pronunciation issues, Adelaide and Adelia are some more options. I think Adeline's a lovely choice! :-)

Best wishes to you!

lola Guest

Madeline makes me instinctively say MAD-a-line. The book Madeline doesn't rhyme as it should if said mad-a lynn or mad-a len (which are two distinct and seperate sounds for me, apparently not everyone though). The song, after all is "Sweet Add-a -line", so most people instinctively say add-a-line for Adeline. I would rather it said like that myself, anyway. Why would you want to change the pronunciation?

If the sound turns you off, I like Jill's suggestions of Adelaide and Adela. there's also Adelia, if you're interested.

peach Guest

I think add-a-line is the most common pronunciation. Personally I do not find it very pretty.

I agree, I am not a fan of the pronunciation Add-a-Line as in the song. That is the only reason I would not go with this name. Pronounced Add-a-LYNN I love it. But as previous posters have said it is hard to change the intial reaction and I too am not a fan of changing spellings.

Sorry about the pronunciation issue, AngelSmile. :-( I pronounce Madeline mad-e-line (not lynn), so sorry about the confusion!

Adelyn and Adalyn are recognized variations of Adeline here on nameberry. If you love that pronunciation, I don't see why you can't use it!

Just because those variations are recognized, doesn't mean they're endorsed/recommended. :-) All variants are listed if a child's name has ever been spelled that way (along with misspellings such as Adisynne and Makayla). That said, you should use any name you love.

The really bedeviling thing with a name like this, as I'm sure many a Madeline will tell you, is that even if you spell it Adeline and pronounce it the "conventional" way, to rhyme with wine and vine, some people will pronounce it add-a-lynn. And probably even add-a-leen and ayd-a-line, lyn, and leen. Spelling it Adelyn or Adelynn or Adalyn, which is kind of like Madelyn or Carolyn, probably would love the pronunciation problem 90 percent of the time but there would still be outliers.....
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Thank you everyone for your responses!