Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

would love some suggestions

I am new to this site. I was excited to find it because I have loved thinking and talking about names from the time I was little. I know my family gets tired of talking about names with me.
    Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself as I am not even pregnant with my second child yet. However, I am looking for suggestions of names (girl and boy) that will sound good with my daughter's name. Her name is McKee (family name from my side and one of the only names that my husband and I agreed on). I tend to like different names for girls and more traditional names for a boys. However, lately I have seen some different sounding boys names that I like as well.
    Anyway, I have read some of the suggestions that all of you have come up with in some of the other posts and have been very impressed. I thought I would try it for my own situation.
    If it helps our last name is one syllable and starts with a K.
    Thank you in advance as I would love to have some great ideas to present to my husband when we get to that point.

Re: would love some suggestions

Hi there, and welcome to Nameberry! :-) Let's see...names for McKee's sibling. I'd definitely stay away from other "mac/mc" names, but to make sure the names go together, I'd stick with unisex or Irish names.

I'm sure more people will be along, but in the meantime, here are some more suggestions:

Avery
    Bronwyn
    Camden
    Carrington
    Campbell
    Delaney
    Devon
    Ellery
    Emery
    Emerson
    Finley
    Hadley
    Harper
    Mason
    Piper
    Peyton
    Quincy
    Sawyer
    Rowan
    Riley
    Tatum
    Tierney
    Weston

Bennett
    Colin
    Connor
    Callum
    Cullen
    Donovan
    Darby
    Finnigan
    Finnian
    Griffin
    Harrison
    Hudson
    Jensen
    Logan
    Miller
    Sullivan
    Weston
    Wyatt
    Wilson
    Zane

Thanks Jill! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me come up with some good name ideas.
    I absolutely love your suggestion of Carrington on the girl side. So far, that would be my first choice. Not sure if my husband will think that is too similar to the name of his brother's daughter (Kinsington), but I really like it.
    I saw that you suggested the name Kirkland on another post. Would that be for a girl or a boy? I have never seen that name before and am intrigued by it. Does it work with McKee?
    Also, in the book Cool Names I saw the name Karielle and really liked that name as well. However, I am wondering if that works with McKee.

Coming up with boys names is much more difficult for me. My husband really likes Ryder and while I think it may be becoming very popular, I like it as well. I like Camden too, but unsure if that could be considered too feminine for a guy with a sister named McKee. Does anyone have any opinions on the name Ryder sounding good with McKee?

One other name that my husband suggested was Tanner. Again, may be too popular... not sure. Would Tanner be a good name for a girl? Too masculine?

I probably should have mentioned this in my first post, but McKee has three half siblings named girl - Kennady (not spelled wrong... how her mom wanted it spelled),girl - Madison (goes by Maddie) and boy- Andrew (goes by Andy). We are very close to them, so I like to consider how the names sound with them too. They are older, so I guess it is more important to me how the name sounds with McKee, but want to include them in my question anyway.

Again, I really appreciate the help. Like I said, I absolutely love names, but have found that I still need a ton of help in this area (despite all the reading and thinking I do about names).
    Thank you!

Is Kirkland a brand for food and other stuff sold in bulk? I think it is.
    To me, Camden is for a girl and would be cute with McKee.
    I will try to think of some more names to go with McKee tonight while I am going to sleep.

How sweet of you to think of your step-children, Kelly. :-) Their names (except for Andrew, which is a classic name) definitely are in line with McKee and other unisex names. McKee is unisex, but without the trendy vibe of Madsion (and, less so, Kennedy), but it still fits with the others, as it's a last name being used as a first name.

Karielle isn't my style (I'm a classic names person), but I can see why you like it. Even though it has a pretty sound, I wouldn't pair it with McKee, because when you see McKee and Karielle, it looks like a boy/girl pair. In my humble opinion, McKee's sibling needs to have a unisex name, too, which works with your preferred style of naming.

Ryder and Tanner do go with McKee, and you can look up their popularity by entering it into the "Check out a name" box on the left. Personally, I'd look for a surname that's a little more unusual, just like McKee.

Kirkland was for a boy. That poster is looking for last names beginning with K. Kirkland would absolutely go with McKee, and he could be called Kirk. If Carrington is too close to her cousin, you could always go with Kerrigan (unless, of course, you don't want to be reminded of the ice skater with that name).

What else...Camden. I do think it's too feminine for a little boy, especially with the Cammie nickname.

You may also like:
    Cassidy
    Kirby
    Skylar
    Morgan
    Emerson
    Keegan
    Teagan
    Reagan
    Blakeley

Carson
    Cooper
    Grayson
    Walker
    Corbin
    Patrick
    Parker

Have a good night!

I don't think Camden is femine at all!!! Use the nickname "Cam". IMO it sounds very nice on a boy.

I know a female Kirklie. I'm not sure if her fist name is Kirkland, but I assume it is because Kirkland is a common surname in my community. If you love Kirkland for a girl and want to have a more feminine nickname, it's an idea ;)

I think both of those names sound adorable with McKee (and Madison, Kennady and Andy).

Some others I think sound nice with McKee:

girls:
    Aisling
    Demi
    Ivy
    Neve
    Tamsin
    Terran
    Torrence (Tori)
    Fifer
    Lane
    Kendall
    Carys
    Brantley
    Brennon
    Brilynn
    Briar
    Leighton
    Fallon
    Breeland "Bree"
    Reeves
    Ryan
    Simms
    Evan
    Shelton
    Hollen

( I love jill's suggestion Bronwyn)

boys:
    Corbett
    Castille
    Carter
    Hayes
    Hardy
    Harvey
    Robinson
    Holden
    Fitzlee (Fitz!)
    Collin
    Copeland (Cope)

that's all I've got for now :)

I just wanted to thank all of you for the wonderful suggestions and comments. I am still processing the new names and ideas that you have given me. I am trying some of the names out with possible middle names and of course our last name. I will probably have some more questions, but until then I just wanted you to know that I am very appreciative for the help. I thought I was aware of most names, but just in a few responses you guys have given me some names that I had never really considered. Thank you!

I thought of the name Kirby for a girl.

I had some time over the weekend to think about potential names/name combinations and consider some of the great suggestions that you guys listed earlier. Wanted to get opinions on some of the names below.

For a boy, I have a feeling that Ryder will be my husband's choice. I agree with Jill in that it would be nice to find a slightly different surname to go with McKee, but my husband seems to love Ryder. I like it as well and since I got to use family names with McKee, I am not opposed to my husband's first choice for a boy's name.

If we go with Ryder, do any of you have opinions on some of these ideas (or better suggestions) for middle names. Harrison (which I love) is a family name, but already been used, so that is out. These are some of my other ideas taken from family names.

Ryder Douglas
    Ryder Joseph
    Ryder Stevens
    Ryder Charles (even though I like the name Charles, not sure I like the flow with Ryder)
    Ryder Reisinger (probably hard to say?)
    Ryder James/ Jameson
    Ryder Wendell
    Ryder Casey
    Ryder Anthony

We do not have to use a family name, so any other suggestions are welcome. We have a one syllable last name.

Also, just in case my husband changes his mind on Ryder...

I was thinking...
    Parker
    Cooper (my husband will most likely rule out since he did the first time around)
    Carson (same as above)
    Kellan (love the name, but too close to mine/ Kelly?... do not want to name after me)
    Rowan
    Jameson
    Lachlan
    Cole (just not sure it flows with a one syllable last name)
    Cormac/k
    Dagan
    Tanner

Looking back at this list, I guess I will need help if it is a boy and we do not use Ryder. Boys names that sound good with McKee (Kennady, Madison and Andy) are harder than I thought. The name does not have to be Irish. I love the name Andrew, but we already have one!

For girls...
    Carrington
    Kerrigan
    probably my two top choices

From your lists I also really like...
    Carys/Kerris (spelling/ sound with McKee?)
    Calla (I added this one... does it work with McKee? I know it is not unisex)
    Camden
    Kolby/Colby
    Holland

others I like but not as much as above
    Jameson for a girl
    Baylor
    Blakely/Blakeley
    Kirby
    Ryan (just sounds plain with our last name)
    Sailor/Saylor (not sure it works with the other kids)
    Rowan
    Weston
    Arden/Auden
    Laken
    Leighton
    Maris
    Merrick/Marak

I know how busy everyone is and I also know that there are people on here that have babies due very soon, so I would just love opinions when you have time. No rush!
    Thanks in advance!

Also, I know the names above are not necessarily the style that most of you like, but I would still love to hear what you think about them considering that the name should go along with our other children.