Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Margaret and her variations, nicknames and honoring

Lately I've been in love with Margo. I also like Margery. But then yesterday I started loving Rita. Rita is a diminutive of Margarita. I know there are a million other Margaret nicknames, and I like almost all of them. Sadly, I don't really love Margaret. I do like it, but not enough. It was my husbands great-grandmothers name, so I was thinking of using it, although she's not high on the list of people to honor. But then I thought maybe Margo could honor her, if so, I could use it as a middle name. If not, she'd only be up for first name, and that's a lot harder space to get, though I do love Margo as a first name. Rita, on the other hand, was my great-aunt. She was a super amazing lady and I would LOVE to honor her

I'm having sort of the same issue with Elizabeth/Eliza. Ruth Elizabeth was his grandmother who he was really close with, we'd love to honor her. I love the name Elizabeth, but only in the middle. However, I also love Eliza, but I'd want that to be a first name. But do you think Eliza counts to honor her? What about Kate for a Katherine who goes by Kitty? Lucy for Lucretia who goes by Creety?

See, my problem is that I have a lot of rules. I want to be equal in honoring, especially because we're using two middles. Also, I'm a little obsessed with sibsets. Dashiell and Margaret doesn't work for me, neither does Dashiell and Elizabeth. Dash and Margo, though? Or Dash and Eliza? Fab!

Wow. I certainly do go on and on. Sorry about that.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Re: Margaret and her variations, nicknames and honoring

As you said Margo
    Mary
    Meg
    Maggie

Sorry all i can think of! :(

lola Guest

How about Dashiell & Daisy? Daisy's a nickname for Margaret through the French form Marguerite. Dashiell & Rita work for me, though. Sexy little Rita! I adore Rita. (too bad it makes him sing the Beatles tune). Margery's my favorite of the Marg- names. I have her on my lists with the potential Daisy as a nickname.
    Lucretia/Lucy's on my list so I'd say it's a valid replacement for Lucretia/Creety.

What's wrong with Elizabeth up front? Elizabeth, nn Eliza would be fantastic as a sister to Dash! Me, I'd use Elisabeth (my family spelling) and call her Bess/Bessie or Lily (for Grandma). But Elizabeth works prefectly as a sister to Dashiell. And Eliza's much better as a nickname, in my book. Too unsubstantial as a full name, for me!

I agree with your Margaret and Dashiell assessement, Lyndsay. I love Lola's Daisy suggestion, which made me think of Maisie. Hmm...

I, for one, have no problems with updated relatives' names when it comes to honoring or memorializing. (In fact, I'm simply named after my grandma's initials.) Pam and Linda wrote a blog entry about it, and they deemed it a perfectly acceptable practice, which was a relief to hear!

Personally, I love Eliza, and think it's a perfect way to honor an Elizabeth. (And like Lola, I think Elizabeth works as a first name with Dashiell, too!) Eliza, though, is one of my all-time favorites. If it's too nicknamey for you (it's not too nicknamey for me), you could always name her Elizabeth and call her Eliza. Libby is another darling nickname.

For me, as long as the name base, initial, or even symbolism is there, that's all that matters!

I'm also a fan of Libby, though one of my favorite students was called Lila as a nn for Elizabeth. Lovely. I'm not a big fan of Eliza; I think Lizzie is cuter and more approachable. I also know an Elisabeth called Ellie.

For Margaret, Maisie is an outstanding choice. Dashiell and Maisie-- precious. There's always Meg or Greta as nn options too.

Lola- I do love Daisy. My problem is that I would never be able to choose what I love most! I really love Rita, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to use it in first, and I'm having a hard time fitting it in the middle anywhere. I'm trying, though! It's not that I don't like Elizabeth as a first, I always wished it was my name, actually. I just feel like such a classic doesn't work with many of the other names I like, and I plan on having a few kids, and I want all the names to complement each other. I'm not making sense. It's just that my taste is mostly quirkier, so I don't think I could have, say Dashiell, then Elizabeth, then Harvey... you know?

Jill- Eliza is one of my all-time favorites, too! So spunky, while being classy. Unusual but familiar. I like that I've only ever met one Eliza. Not too nick-namey for me, though it would be great as a nickname for Elizabeth, too. Libby is my second favorite Elizabeth nickname! Now that you mention the initial thing, I realize that Rita Elizabeth Lulette would be the same initials as my husbands grandmother... what do you think of that combo? I'm not sure...

Melissa- I have never heard Lila for Elizabeth! I adore Lilah (with the h)! I do like Lizzie, but my name is Lyndsay, and the sound is just way too similar!

Elizabeth is sounding better and better by the minute. But how could I choose between Eliza and Lilah?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Jill- Eliza is one of my all-time favorites, too! So spunky, while being classy. Unusual but familiar. I like that I've only ever met one Eliza. Not too nick-namey for me, though it would be great as a nickname for Elizabeth, too. Libby is my second favorite Elizabeth nickname! Now that you mention the initial thing, I realize that Rita Elizabeth Lulette would be the same initials as my husbands grandmother... what do you think of that combo? I'm not sure...

Eliza is definitely on my list, and its relatively low ranking (it's in the 300's) is just an added bonus. I just love that name, and it's been on my list since I was a fetus. :-)

I love Lila, too, as it's so purty. Lilibet/Lily have historically been used as Elizabeth's nicknames (even the Queen was called Lilibet!), which makes me think that Lila could be an Elizabethian nickname, too.

Lila is definitely more popular than Eliza, so that could be one decision-making factor. Which sounds better to you? Dashiell and Eliza, or Dashiell and Lilah? If I forced you to choose Eliza, would you be mourning Lilah, or if I made you choose Lilah, would you be mourning Eliza's loss more? Which would you mourn more? Be true to yourself, because that's your answer. :-) Get dressed in all black, see which name's funeral is more depressing, and go with that one.

Dashiell and Eliza is too stunning for words. Wow. (Random thought: Eliza could also be Elizabeth's nickname.)

I'm going to go to the game board now and test my rules-following abilities. :-)

lola Guest

Deciding between Eliza & Lilah is easy, you wait til you see her. I've mentioned this before but Josephine has had a half dozen nicknames since birth and they're still morphing as I type. She's been Fifi, Effie, Posie, Josie, Poppy & Fina. She informed me tonight (just an hour ago) that she is Effie. So it starts again!

I have cousins named Elisabeth & Elizabeth (one on each side of the family) and the Elizabeth one is *just* Elizabeth. Call her anything else and she'll kill you. Elisabeth, OTOH is a Libby now but as a toddler she was Lily (Just like Grandma) as a little kid she was Lilbet and as a teen, Eliza. She's Libby these days but her mom recently told me she's thinking of Elisa; but yeah, Elizabeth's can morph, daily, if they want. So Lilah or Eliza are equal chances. You could call her both, Eliza and Lilah, on alternate hours or days. Elizabeth is an awesome name, with awesome options. My problem with Elisabeth/Elizabeth? Can't enforce one easily. There are *so* many options, she could pick one a day for almost a month and if she decided that neither Eliza or Lilah worked for her in say, middle school? Would you be okay with that? I know I'd have problems. (which is why Elisabeth/Elizabeth is not on my lists).

peach Guest

For popularity sake, I think I prefer Eliza to Lilah.

Eliza Margot is a lovely name incorporating both Elizabeth and Margaret in a modern, but not out there, kind of way.

I also love your Rita idea as a first name -- Rita Elizabeth, Rita Marguerite.

I love the name Margaret nn Maisie! Margo and Rita and Daisy are all so pretty, too. I need to put Margaret on my favorite girls' list!