Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Males with unisex names that you know

A common scare tactit to try and advise parents not to give their sons unisex names is that he won't like his name and sharing it with females (which is something that Pam and Linda mentioned in one of their earlier books). I thought that I'd ask and see if this hypothesis is true or not. If you know of any boys or men with unisex names and what they think of their name (like, dislike, indifferent, etc.) I'd like you to share it here.

Believe it or not, I'm in the minority here and I'm a man myself and I have a name that would be on the gender-neutral list (I'm not sharing it right now, but if someone would like to guess what it is they're welcome to). As for my opinion on my name, for the most part I like it. Other than the occasional wrong salutation on mail, etc. the only time I had a problem with it is one kid who liked to joke about my name (he was someone who had a reputation of teasing others so I took it with a grain of salt).

Re: Males with unisex names that you know

Jordan, Taylor, Casey, and Peyton are the most common unisex names that I run into, and I know several of each gender. One of the male Jordans actually likes his name a lot, which kind of surprised me since Jordan has always sounded very femine to me *shrug* must be a personal thing. Though several of the male Taylors I know dislike their name. It may be because there are many more girl Taylors running around now, or because of some female cebrities such as Taylor Swift that are really big where I'm at right now. I'm not sure how any of the Caseys feel, they never say anything either way. But the Peytons (and various spellings) have never really had anything nice to say about their name. Though I think it's more of the spelling issue that bothers them. Well, thats just what I've heard and I'm sure there are many that feel differently. But imo, there are so many wonderful, clearly masculine names to give your baby boy instead. That being said, I don't think you should not use a name that you really love just because it is unisex or fear that it might become unisex.

I have never met a man who loved to talk about names except my grandpa Bernard who was the first person to tell me about how names have meanings. How interesting and cool that you love names. But it's a good thing my husband doesn't like to talk about names, or we'd never get anything done!
    My cousin is married to an extremely handsome and successful chef named Terry. I've never asked him if he likes his name, but I bet he does. I think it fits him well.
    On the other hand, there are some quadruplets at our church named Ella, Emma, Hailey, and Jordan. If I'd named them, first of all, I would have given the girls either classic or vintage names that aren't so popular and not matchy. Emma and Ella are too matchy, I think. Also I never would have named the one boy in a set of quadruplets Jordan, a unisex name. I think it would be better to give him a very masculine, not too unusual boy's name. He has enough on his plate with three sisters his own age. I would have named him Jack, William, Thomas, Henry, or something like that.
    Thinking of names including middle names for a set of quadruplets is one of the ways I fall asleep at night. I love to work with various odd last names, too, to make it more challenging. Like Winthrop, one of my fave last names ever!

lola Guest

I know a male Kelly with brothers Stacy, Morgan & Shannon and would happily use Morgan myself! But that's about it that I know. But then, I like boys names that lend out to girly sounding nicknames, Magnus, nn Maggie is a favorite.

I find those unisex names, in general, better on a guy. Morgan? Sexy on a guy, blah on a girl. Kelly? Awesome on a guy, boring on a girl, Addison? Sharp on a guy, ugly on a girl. And so it goes.

I'm one who generally prefers clearly identifying names on her kids. My siblings & I have them and they were a definite bonus during puberty when we were all stringy and kind of boyish looking and thought it would be a favor to bestow those types of names on mine. Luckily, my other half agrees.

Well, I know tons of Tyler's, which is now, unfortunately, considered unisex. I don't know any girl's named Tyler. Luckily for all of the Tylers I know, Tyler for a girl wasn't popular then, so they don't know any girls named Tyler.
    I also know lots of Taylors, boys and girls. In my homeroom, there are two Taylors: a boy and a girl. Taylor (the boy) doesn't mind having a unisex name.

Well, here's one that's not unisex: I know a guy named Chance, and a girl named Chanse. He hates have a girl named Chanse because he is confused when people are talking about him or her.

Taylor, Jordan, Ashley, Peyton, Hayden etc. I personally like Peyton for a girl though!

Ashton. In the past three years, I've had at least five students with this name; three girls and two boys. I also know of two singer/songwriters named Ashton, one a girl and one a guy. Even though I know just as many girls as boys with the name, it's still wholly masculine to me and I'm always a little startled to see it on a girl!

I know men named Courtney and Shannon, and they thoroughly thoroughly dislike their names

I much prefer the name "Lindsey" on a boy than a girl. As a male name, it sounds...crisp, to me. Fresh. :D I first heard it on the TV show Angel, where Lindsey McDonald was this smokin' hot one-handed cowboy lawyer who grew up in poverty...lol, quite a twist from the name's usual associations. ;)

Also...hm, lesse: my step-dad works with a Stacey. I go to school with two boy Taylors and one girl Taylor. All the Taylors are teenagers. Stacey is in his forties. None of the guys have ever seemed to have any issues with their names. The guy-Taylors don't act hypermasculine (a la, A Boy Named Sue) and none of them have turned into shrinking violets just because they might have met a girl or two with their name.

I hate the double standard that you can give girls boy names to give them an edge, but you can't give boys girly names because...um, what? Feminity is bad all of a sudden...?

My husband's name is Kelly and he likes it. I don't think there was ever an issue with it. Although I did want to name our son Kelly and he did put up a fight. Hmmm. I also know a guy named Ashley and I love that name for a boy but he made me promise not to use it- he got made fun of quite a bit apparently. Having said all this... I still think both names are cool for a boy.