Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Two Middle Names

I have noticed some posts on this site discussing two middle names.

My brother and his wife were having trouble deciding on a middle name for their little boy and mentioned at dinner one night the possibility of using all four names. I typically try to only give positive name advice to my friends and family (avoiding telling them when I don't love a name), however... When he mentioned the possibility of 4 names I did speak up. He is my brother.

I told them I would be afraid of snags and people getting confused, Issues with Social Security, etc. I have heard stories of people of South American decent with the tradition of keeping family names, and difficulties they have encountered. I asked the simple question: why put your child through that just because you can't make up your mind?

Then the funny part...

My five year old niece says without skipping a beat, "then just pick one daddy."

Does anyone here have or have a spouse with two middles? What is your experience?
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Re: Two Middle Names

Good question. I work in the medical field and worry about that a little too. When women marry and hypenate their names or keep their maiden and middle names and add their married names the computor system we have can freak out and not connect things or run their names togeather like Andersonsanchezann, Emily. Now we might just have a crappy computor system, but I think that it is a valid concern that things would get confusing. On the other hand, sometimes there are too many great names!! I haven't decided what I really think yet. This wasn't helpful to you at all!! I am always interested what other people say when this question comes up though.

I just gave my baby two middle names. He's almost three weeks old, no problems yet! Haha, I'll be able to give a better answer in a few years. The only thing that sucks is that you can't get anything monogrammed with the initials, because they only do 3 initials.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

That is a good point about the initials... And I am a huge fan of using my initials to sign things... And I am not so sure it would be the same if I had four of them! You certainly would have to be much more careful that the initials don't spell something weird!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

lola Guest

I grew up with two middles and have never had a problem with them. They've come in handy to differentiate between me & another girl with the same first, one middle, last name as myself. No one seems to have my exact pairing, which I'm very pleased with. I'm partenered with someone with two middles as well and our three kids have them. In my case, it's family tradition, in his, he's the only boy and they had to stick all the honoring on him. With our kids, we honored and the boys are grown now. the girl is still little. They've not reported any problems and I haven't run into any with the girl yet (we just signed her up for school last week, and there was plenty of room for her whole name).
    So if you've got a fair amount of honoring to do, go for it. if it pleases you to stand out in the crowd of almost 7 billion on the planet, go for it. If the idea gives you nightmares, pass on it. I'm not going to criticise anyone who doesn't use two middles (or more). I love the extra wiggle room I get for honoring. :)

This sounds kind of inane, but if I had a first name plus two middle names, and I loved all of them, I would have a really hard time deciding which name I wanted to be called. Like what if my name were Susannah Caroline Jane Chesney. That would be hard. Or Susan Elizabeth Claire Chesney. Maybe I could take turns and be called three different names every three days. Then I could start anew. It would be kind of like if I had three gorgeous houses or three super handsome, super nice husbands all at once. I mean what if they all looked like Colin Firth? Bewildering and waaay too much of a good thing! It is important to only really adore one of your names so you know which one to be called. I never thought about this before, but I'm kind of glad that I don't like my first name as much as I love Susan!

hahaha, Susan, that cracked me up!

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Personally, I would say that two middle names are fine but three middle names are too much, but of course this is only based on my own feeling. But I guess that you would have to consider the consequences. Like - as far as i know - on official documents you would have to sign with your whole name. And as Susan already said: it's not like the kid is going to use all his names in everyday life, so his parents would have to decide what to call him anyway.
    By the way, I lately discovered my great-grandfather (born 1878) had five names: Max Wilhelm Paul Robert Franz. I bet he didn't like that so much.

That's some name, Annika! I actually have a cousin with three firsts and three middles (apparantly that's the most you're allowed to put on the birth certificate, or they would have use more. seriously). He's Paul Alan Anthony David William Luke! And they call him Bubba! What's the point in giving your kid all those names if you're going to call him Bubba, hmm?

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

-James Franco

Annika, your great-grandfather's name reminds me of "Gone With the Wind", toward the end, when Scarlett's writing out a check and has to sign it "Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler". Quite the mouthful!