Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on names for my baby girl :)

Hi! I'm expecting a little girl in May and am so excited. She is our second, we have an almost-three-year-old boy, JJ.

Anywho...
    I have been researching names for the past 5 months or so and have come to the point where nothing seems fresh anymore!!! My husband and I have somewhat agreed on the following names. I'm pretty set on the first names, but would still love any new suggestions/ comments. I want her name to be unique and beautiful.

First names:

Harlinn
    Calla
    Kaia

Middle Names

Emmerson
    Lillia
    Alice
    Piper
    Elodie
    Ellery
    Emery
    Clover
    Lydia
    Eliana
    Everly
    Noelle
    Evie

Which do you think sound best together, or do you have any other suggestions? All opinions are welcome!

Thanks so much!!

Re: Opinions on names for my baby girl :)

Oh, I love Calla so much. Kaia feels a little more trendy to me, but it's a nice, energetic name. I would spell the first name Harlan, but that one is my least favorite of the three (but I do like Harper quite a bit, it seems better suited for a little girl).

I also love some of your middle names as firsts (Alice, Piper, Lydia, Noelle, Evie if it's a nn for Evelyn or Evangeline). As for combos with Calla, I think Calla Emerson (I'm not sure you need the second "M", unless it's a family name?) works best sound-wise, because it doesn't have an "L" sound like many of the others. I'm not sure it works stylistically though. What about...

Calla Evangeline
    Calla Frances (love this, not sure if Frances is your style though)

Kaia Noelle (cute, lots of energy)
    Kaia Emerson

Harlan Elodie
    Harlan Jane

Harper Noelle (love!)
    Harper Lillian

Alice Everly
    Alice Emerson

Piper Noelle (love this! same feel as Harper Noelle)
    Piper Elodie

Lydia Noelle
    Lydia Jane (pretty and girly but not frilly)

Evangeline Claire (so classy!)
    Evelyn Noelle

Other names you might like:
    Celia
    Colette
    Eliza
    Eleanor
    Flora
    Georgia
    India
    Julia
    Leila
    Lila
    Lucy
    Nora
    Stella

Congrats and good luck!
    :: o l i v e ::

Calla Evangeline and Calla Noelle are both beautiful but Kaia Noelle is my favorite. I think you cant go wrong with Calla or Kaia and I think Noelle is a perfect middle (or even first) name :)
    Favorite girl names: Estella, Marielle, Carys, Doutzen, Mireille, Edith, Saskia, Eve, Sienna, Cosima, Winnie, Delphine, Meredith, Sylvie, Sloane

Favorite boy names: Otto, Owen, Aaron, Daniel, Henry, Adam, Seth, Abram/Bram, Johan, Johannes, Sven, George, Adlai, Adam

Thanks for the replies ladies!!!!

I like Kaia Noelle, Piper Elodie, Kaia Emerson

I think Kaia Noelle is nice, it is one I have considered for a while, and it seems to be just about everyones favorite. However, I'm concerned that it sounds too cutesy? I'm also concerned that Noelle is becoming the next Nicole in terms of middle names ?? I don't want her name to be too trendy or common, I want it to be different and refreshing. What do you think?

I've thought about Harper, too. I just don't love it. Do you think Piper as a first name is too trendy??

Harlinn/ Harlan are both surnames, Harlan is usually a man's name. I've never known anyone to use Harlinn as a first name. IMO it looks more feminine than the other. What do you think of Harlinn Emery? That was my favorite, but does it sound too masculine?

Evangeline is a nice, classic name. I wouldn't name my child this though. I see her being teased in middle school for a name like that, as well as Eleanor and Frances. I know a Frances and she hates her name, she goes by her maiden name nn "Scottie".

Any other middle name suggestions for Calla or Harlinn? Thanks again!!!

Harlinn: I'm not a fan of Harlen/Harlinn/Harlynn for a little girl. :-( I understand you like the name's sound, but trendy/misspelled names will guarantee your daughter a lifetime of having to correct spelling ("No, it's H-a-r-l-i-n-n, not H-a-r-l-en!"), and aren't unique. The "-inn" ending doesn't make Harlen, a man's name, more feminine, but does make it look trendy and mispelled.

Calla: I think Calla is a stunning name! Calla gets my vote! :-)

Calla Beatrix
    Calla Blythe
    Calla Delphine (although it may be too flowery!)
    Calla Daphne
    Calla Francesca
    Calla Genevieve (Pretty!)
    Calla Grace
    Calla Josephine
    Calla Juliet (I love this!)
    Calla Marielle
    Calla Rosalind
    Calla Simone
    Calla Scarlett
    Calla Viviana

Kaia: Kaia is a pretty name, but too trendy for my tastes. If you want a unique name for your little girl, I'd definitely stay away from trendy names.

Kaia Celeste
    Kaia Delphine
    Kaia Daphne
    Kaia Grace
    Kaia Juliet
    Kaia Laurel
    Kaia Liliana
    Kaia Madeleine
    Kaia Marin
    Kaia Rosalie
    Kaia Scarlett
    Kaia Simone

Emmerson: Emerson (one M) is too trendy for my taste.
    Lillia: A beautiful name...
    Alice: I love Alice!
    Piper: Not a fan of Piper (too trendy....)
    Elodie: A lovely name!
    Ellery: I like Ellery...
    Emery: Not a fan, as it reminds me of an emery board...
    Clover: Very cute!
    Lydia: I love, love Lydia!
    Eliana: Very pretty....
    Everly: Not a fan of Everly (trendy....)
    Noelle: Pretty....
    Evie: I love Evie, but only as a nickname. Eve, Eva, Evelyn, Evangeline, or Genevieve would be lovely, though.

I love so many of your middle names, and would love to see them as first names. Calla is beautiful, though! :-)

Other names you may like:

Aurora
    Aurelia
    Arden (instead of Harlen)
    Auden (instead of Harlen)
    Avalon (instead of Harlen)
    Beatrix
    Blythe
    Charlotte
    Clementine
    Cora
    Delphine
    Daphne
    Dahlia
    Delilah
    Diana
    Esme (ez-may)
    Emmeline
    Eloise
    Eve
    Eva
    Evelyn
    Estella
    Francesca
    Felicity
    Genevieve
    Georgiana
    Helena
    Hope
    Hadley (instead of Harlen)
    Isla
    Josephine
    Juliet
    Karenna
    Louisa
    Laurel
    Marissa
    Marielle
    Ruby
    Phoebe
    Poppy
    Rosalie
    Simone
    Stella
    Scarlett
    Tamsin
    Tessa
    Vivienne
    Willa

Eleanor, Frances, and Evangeline are timeless and widely used, and wouldn't be a source of teasing. They're lovely, elegant, classic names (and more common than you realize!) and are always in style. :-)

Best wishes to you! :-)

Thanks Jill! I really appreciate your suggestions, some are very nice :)

Harlinn is not mispelled, it is a family surname. Harlinn may sound trendy, I guess, but I don't believe it is??

Just curious- why do you suggest Hadley in place of Harlinn- Hadley is very trendy don't you think?

I'm still totally open for suggestions for first and middle names :) I really like more earthy sounding names. But I definitely do not want trendy. Kaia, Piper, ad Emerson are out of the question now...lol. I've also always liked a hint of masculinity in a girls name (but not too much)...Just FYI one of my favorite names is Bryony, but sadly my husband refuses it :(

I've been thinking of using my great grandpa's middle name as hers...Chamblis, any opinions? I've always thought it was a nice name (as I still do, Harlinn :) If I did this I thought Blis might be a cute nickname....

Also, do you think Reeve is too masculine for a girl? What about Rowan (too trendy??) How about Harmon??? Orchid??? (Just a few I haven't scratched off the list yet)

Clover is one of my favorites....any suggestions for middle names???

Thanks everyone!

By the way are you on Babyhold, too? Those seems to be the same names everyone is suggesting. I guess the vintage/classics are making a comeback??? Good!

By the way thought it might help to know my last name is one syllable......

Sorry about that! It was a yooneek name false alarm. :-) I didn't realize that Harlinn is a family surname, and thought it was an intentional misspelling of Harlen (you know, like Caylee, Hayleigh, Ashlinn, etc.), which is why I suggested Hadley as a trendy alternative. :-)

Although Harlinn is a family name, it really looks like a random last name you picked, having changed its ending to make it look more feminine. Any last name as a first name, when used on a girl, is indeed trendy, even if the name has meaning for you. That said, if you like last names first, you should use one!

It's too bad that your husband doesn't like Bryony, but you'll find a name you both love!

Chamblis has a lovely sound, but because of the whole last names first trend, I'd stay away from it as a first name (but that's just me!). What about Chamblis as a middle name? (I keep wanting to add an extra s for some reason!)

For me, Reeve is too masculine for a little girl (and I only think of Christopher Reeve, AKA Superman), and it's also very trendy. If you love trendy names, though, and don't mind that they're trendy, you should use one that you really love. Reese is more feminine than Reeve, but even Reese is actually Reese Witherspoon's middle name. Have you considered a classic/vintage first name with a trendy middle name?

Harmon is also too masculine and trendy for a girl (same reasons as above), but if you like those kind of names, go for it.

Rowan, on the otherhand, isn't trendy, and is a lovely name for a little girl. :-) Orchid is definitely a girls' name, but just not my style. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a middle name, though!

Clover is a great name, by the way!

Clover Chamblis
    Clover Harlinn
    Clover Amelia
    Clover Annabelle
    Clover Beatrix
    Clover Elizabeth
    Clover Esme
    Clover Mae
    Clover Matilda
    Clover Willa
    Clover Adeline

Some more ideas:
    Annika
    Danika
    Willa
    Willow
    Gemma (jem-ma)
    Aveline
    Avalon
    Adeline
    Adelaide
    Bianca
    Chloe
    Eden
    Gaia
    Rory
    Iris
    Dahlia
    Fiona
    Maisie
    Hazel

P.S. No, I'm not on Babyhold, but I'm guessing it's a naming site? Nameberry is the only name site for me! :-)

No need to be sorry, just a little misunderstanding :)

First, I ask you to open your mind and consider my humble opinion :)

I now understand your point of view regarding trendy names. You consider last names for girls and boy's names for girls to be trendy. I agree those can be trendy. I define TRENDY as a name that popped onto the charts out of nowhere or after a long period of not being used. In fact, IMO many of the classic names that you may consider superior, are in fact , trendy. You may or may not realize this.

I know many little Francis'/Frances', Colettes, Mary Katherines (as an undergrad, I worked at an upper-mid class mommy's day out, the children's names were very "classy" ;) I wouldn't choose these for my children, because I personally dont like them. I know adults with the names who hate them and some who have changed their given names because of them :(. I do not want this for my daughter. I'm not saying there aren't Frances' that love their name, I would just rather be safe than sorry. My number one consideration when naming a child is this: I ask myself "would I have liked this name for myself as a child, teen, adult " ;)

Surnames first- If you notice this trend is formed by the media. Most of the trendy "surnames first" are those of very famous people (presidents, classic stars, authors), movie or television show characters, or celebrity's baby names. Also many, many "first names" used today came from surnames originally. This is not a new trend, Ashley, Maribel, Lindsay..etc.

Boys names for girls- where do you think Josephine, Frances, Leona, Charlotte, etc came from....a long time ago someone decided to start a "trend" of turning a boys name into a girls name :)

I'm not quick to rule out a name because it is a "trend", everything is a trend. I remain open minded to all names and judge based on my own style and popularity of the name. Some classics are timeless and beautiful but i don't prefer them personally for my daughter for different reasons. Some are too common -Elizabeth, Mary, Grace, Jane, Katherine- obviously all beautiful names and (who wouldn't want to be named after a queen :). Some classic names I just don't like, some sound "stuffy" to me, and some my husband refused ( he is very picky...lol).

Name trends that seem to be most popular in my neck of the woods...hehe:

Made up names: Jayden, Kylie, Kaylee, Jayla (basically lees, las, and dens) these are personally my least favorite name trend

Returning classics: (popped back on the charts after decades of not being used) Ava, Olivia, Isabella, Willow, Annabelle (one of my favorites, as i am a huge Poe fan), Vivienne (thanks to Brangelina), Alice, Rose, Violet, Lily.

New classics- (people stuck in the 80's..lol) Kristen (my name, which i do love), Haley, Nicole, Lindsay, Alyssa, Tiffany, Noelle...you get the point

Favorite in other countries (Irish, French, British) - Colette, Chloe, Noelle, Simone, Elise, Adelaide (all beauties)

Vintage: (these sound cool, are somewhat timeless, but still trendy because they have been around a long while and are gaining recognition fast) Audrey, Astrid, Aurelia, Liliana, Eden.

Surnames: Kennedy, Madison (became popular for girls out of nowhere in the 90's, (not so) coincidentally right after Darryl Hanna's mermaid character on Splash named herself after Madison Ave.), Emerson (desperate house wives), Monroe, Presley, Reagan, Rowan (the first name of a magical nymph-like creature on a 90's movie,The Secret of Rowen Innish (sp?)), Harlow (star baby).

Rowan is a surname-which by your definition is trendy for a girl.

Names from popular series/ movies/ books: Esme, Juliet, Rosalie, Isla, Alice, Fiona, Isabella, Piper, Phoebe, (most of these are from the series Twilight, which i have not read but have noticed these names popping up EVERYWHERE) This is one of my favorite trends, as i love all these names, but my husband will not go for any of these, except Alice (his grandmother's name) and Piper.

Nature names: Willow, Lily, Sage, Poppy, Wren, Iris, Ivy (i likethese too)

Uniques names: Jazmine, Melaea, Kaia, Luna, Nova, Neveah

My overall point is that just about every name out there fits into some type of trend these days...because people have become very liberal in the naming of children. It would be very difficult (impossible) to stay away from trends all together. I personally prefer nature themes, vintage names and surnames/ masculine names to any other trends. And I believe as long as I try stay out of the top 500 or so, the name I choose will be a nice refreshing name that not too many have heard or considered. (I also try to remember that most people are not name connoisseurs such as ourselves ;)

For all these reasons I like Chamblis, Harlinn, Reeve, etc. you may think they are trendy because they are surnames, but I think some of your names are trendy because they are classic/vintage comebacks.....we can choose to see it as win/ win or lose/ lose...LOL i like to think positively, WIN/WIN!!

I'm not trying to be trendy by using a surname for her first name. I just want a name most people haven't heard of. Names like that stand out. It all comes down to personal preference i guess! I just want an uncommon name, I'm soooo tired of seeing the same old names everywhere!! I'm sure you agree :)

WOW- sorry for the spill. I like to make my point known...haha. I really appreciate your input!!! I am seriously reconsidering a lot of my choices because of the info you have given me. I'm just trying to remain open minded to all names (except the uber-common) Also, I do love the suggestion you gave of Auden, it is one I have not thought of and have not passed by the hubby yet....wish me luck ;)

I love Beatrix, too! I fell in love with the name Sophie Beatrix after reading a biography of Marie Antoinette, it was a name she gave one of her daughters (that passed) Beautiful! But Hubby wont have it.

I also love literary names: Juliet, Rosalind, and Imogen are my favorite Shakespearean names. My husband dislikes those, too. I guess I must honor his opinion in my choice...lol.

Whew! I love reading everybody's ideas and had to add mine ;) My favorites (for what is is worth) of your list are Harlinn, Chamblis and Calla (for me, names with meaning are the most importatant, you have some great family names to pick from, and Calla is just pretty). I think that if you go with Harlinn, sure, she'll have to tell people how to spell it, but probably just once. For some random reason I think that a little girl with the name/nn Harley is cute. I like Chamblis for the nn Bliss - too cute.
    Harlinn Bliss
    Harlinn Chamblis
    Harlinn Lydia
    Harlinn Faith
    Harlinn Julia
    Harlinn Bella
    Harlinn Jane
    Harlinn Emery isn't my fav I like both names seperate better
    Calla Emery?
    Calla Elizabeth
    Calla Sage
    Calla Noelle sounds very pretty to me, and I haven't heard of many people using Noelle, and hey even if they have, it is still pretty. Or what about Calla May for her due date?

Anyway, hope this helps!