Menu

Thread: Pirate Names

Pirate Names

I'm making a Pirate Names list and so far I have Jack, Hook, and Silver. The list won't accept the name Smee. Can you think of more fun pirate names to put on my list?

lola Guest

Re: Pirate Names

Well, Hook's first name was James, IIRC, and then there's Edward Teach, (Blackbeard), Anne Bonny, Henry Morgan, Barbarossa (meaning Red Beard), ad these:
    Nathaniel Butler - English Pirate
    Jan de Bouff - Dutch Pirate
    Tobias Bridge - English Pirate
    Enrique Brower - Dutch Pirate
    John Calles - English Pirate
    Peter Easton - English Pirate
    Daniel Elfrith - English Pirate
    John Nutt - English Pirate
    Grace O'Malley - Irish Pirate
    John Ward - English Pirate
    John Morris - English
    Thomas Paine - English
    Richard Sawkins - English
    Bartholomew Sharp - English

Here's a grand link for you: http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/famous-pirates.htm

Thanks Lola!

And New Orleans' favorite pirate: Jean Lafitte!

Lola, I wish you would make a Gypsy Names List and then tell us how to look it up. I know it would be so cool!

lola Guest

I'll work on that now, then, Susan. Rromani people are completely fascinating, there's wide speculation in the family that Great Grandpa Cosmo was Rromani/Rroma. His speech fits what we know about the culture as well as his looks (dark haired, dark eyed and swarthy). So I'm going through things now but it's looking as though I may have a very distant link to "Gypsy" culture through him. Let me see what I can dig up.If you don't se me active here today, you now know what I'm up to!

lola Guest

Alright, I'm pretty much giving up.
    It seems as though Rromas, because of large-scale prejudice, they'd adopt whatever names were locally popular, to blend in. There's still large scale problems the Rroma face and as such, keep their culture hidden to a large degree. Some things are finally starting to come out and I've found a few names of heroes of the Rroma, Panna is the lone girl name I could find, and from the guys, normal things, like Janos & Ian show up but I also found things like: Lanyi, Belo & Antal. But otherwise, it's all ordinary names for whatever larger culture they're in. It's really, really sad, their situation and I'm starting to see why even Great Grandpop simply said he was Greek.

Oh, that's really sad, Lola! I have a super great great great grandmother who was a Gypsy, but I don't know what her name was. Maybe you could make a list kind of like a Gypsy list that has all your fave names on it. It could be Bohemian Names or something fun like that.

You can see the Pirate Names List if you look up Bart. Scroll down to find it.

lola Guest

Thanks, I'll work on that then. And I'll check out the pirate list!