Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A name for our baby girl?

Hi! I've narrowed down our list of girls names with the help of family, but ultimately, I want to keep our name choice a surprise so I was hoping you'd be able to give your opinions on these names:

Esther - while I've gotten some negative feedback from relatives, I'm still madly in love with this name... what do you think? If I had this baby today, she'd probably be Esther, but my favorites change often :)

Hattie - I think it's really cute, but doesn't age well... I really dislike the full names Harriet and Henrietta, so I don't know if this is a possibility?

Julia - like this also, but it's a bit boring to me... don't really know

Evie - do you know of any full names? I adore this nn, but another one that probably wouldn't age well w/o a nn

Hazel - one I really love, but haven't gotten much support from family... I think it'd be really fresh on a little girl

Josephine - another one I love... one of my favorites!

Violet - I really love this also but my mother hates flower names... ugh!

Ruby - old fashioned yet so fresh! Absolutely love this also

Adeline - it's old fashioned, but has a trendy sound to it which I don't really like, maybe it's the Madeline association?

Vera - I really love this also, I pronounce it Vee-rah

others I like... Frances nn Francie, Beatrice, Matilda, Pearl,

What do you think of these names? What are your favorites and why?
    Also, have any of you had issues with what the family thinks about your name choices? I want my family to be involved, but some of the names I love have gotten a huge thumbs down from everyone. The really old fashioned names have been a big issue - I get groans when I even mention Beatrice or Hazel. I'm not quite sure what to do... I want them to like our name choice, but I'm beginning to figure out that you can't please everyone...

Anyway... thanks so much for your input!

Re: A name for our baby girl?

Esther - I'm not a fan of Esther, but that's just me. What matters, is how you feel about the name. :-) You asked why, and I suppose I just don't care for Esther's sound, and my associating it with my grandma's friends doesn't help matters. I'm sure others who love Esther will post, though. :-)

Hattie - In and of itself, Hattie is too insubstantial for a first name (just my opinion), as it sounds like a nickname (which it is). I, too, don't care for Henrietta or Harriet, so I understand your issue. You have many other beautiful names from which to choose, so if you have to say goodbye to Hattie, your baby will still have a lovely name.

Julia - I love Julia, and I love Juliet even more. If you find Julia boring, it's not the name for you! What about Juliet?

Evie - Like Hattie, Evie is too much of a nickname to use as a first name, but a fantastic name when used as a nickname. I love Eve, Evelyn, Eva, Eveline, and Evangeline as names from which Evie could be derived.

Hazel - I do like Hazel, but it's one of those names I would like to see on someone else's child. Hazel would be darling on your little girl.

Josephine - Josephine is one of my favorites, too!

Violet - Violet is another fantastic name! As for your mother hating flower names, this isn't her child. She had the chance to name you and any siblings you may have. This is your baby, and you're the one picking your baby's name.

Ruby - I adore Ruby!

Adeline - Adeline is lovely, too. How are you pronouncing it? I've heard both Add-uh-line and Add-uh-leen. Adelia is a wonderful name as well.

Vera - I've only heard it pronounced veer-uh and vay-ruh, so be prepared for pronunciation issues if you use Vera. Personally, I don't care for Vera, but I'm sure others do. What matters most, is how you feel about the name.

others I like... Frances nn Francie, Beatrice, Matilda, Pearl,

Frances: I love Frances, and Frankie, Frannie, and Francie are darling nicknames.
    I love Francesca even more.

Beatrice: An awesome name, and Bea is too cute!
    I've been preferring Beatrix lately (it seems perkier), but both are lovely.

Matlida: I like Matilda, but don't love it as much as some of your others.

Pearl: I like Pearl as a middle name, but not a first.

As for the whole family not approving of the names, this isn't their child. This is your baby girl, and your chance to name another human being. You mother, aunts, etc., already had their children, and already had the experience of selecting the perfect names for their babies. This is YOUR time, your baby, your experience! If they like the name, great, but if they don't, that's their problem.

Granted, it hurts when people don't like your names, and while it would be ideal if your relatives liked every name you choose, that's not the reality, and you're not unique in this situation. You need to make a choice between trying to please your family, or being true to yourself and the names you adore! You have so many gorgeous names from which to choose, and it's such an exciting time for you. Enjoy it, and try not to let the disapproval get you down. :-)

From your choices, my favorites are: Josephine, Ruby, Violet, and Beatrice.

I love Evie, Julia, and Frances, too, but I prefer similar names over these choices. For me, Evie needs to be Evelyn, Eve, Eva, Eveline, or Evangeline, and I LOVE all of those names. I prefer Juilet over Julia, as it seems more elegant and sophisticated, and I prefer Beatrix over Beatice, as Beatrix seems fresher and perkier.

If you had listed Beatrix, it would have been my clear favorite.

If I had to choose one name from your list as it is, I'd go with Josephine. It's elegant, yet down to earth, and love Josie as a nickname.

All of your names are lovely, though, and you can't go wrong!

Julia Beatrice
    Julia Frances
    Julia Violet
    Julia Beatrix
    Juliet Beatrix
    Eva Josephine
    Eve Julia (I love this!)
    Evangeline Pearl
    Evangeline Violet
    Evelyn Pearl
    Josephine Hazel
    Josephine Pearl
    Ruby Adeline (so cute!)
    Ruby Josephine (I LOVE this!)
    Ruby Frances
    Beatrice Pearl
    Beatrix Pearl (I love it!)
    Beatrix Violet
    Frances Josephine
    Frances Pearl
    Francesca Pearl
    Francesca Violet (so pretty!)
    Hazel Josephine
    Matilda Pearl
    Matilda Violet
    Vera Josephine
    Vera Adeline
    Violet Eve (pretty!)
    Violet Josephine (wow!)
    Violet Pearl

Best wishes!

Esther - I don't love or hate this name. Its kind of just neutral for me but I think it might be because I knew quite a few Esthers growing up and influences how I feel.

Hattie - I dislike this name. It sounds incomplete but I also do not like the options of Harriet or Henrietta.

Julia - Julia is cute. I can see it on an adult and a baby.

Evie - All I can think of is Evelyn or Eve to go with this. Evie is cute though but it doesn't seem like it will age well.

Hazel - This is cute and definitely unique.

Josephine - Love love love Josephine.

Violet - I adore this name too, sadly my husband does not.

Ruby - I love this name too.

Adeline - I dont really love this, I find the spelling a bit awkward and it does look like Madeline chopped off.

Vera - I like it said Ve-ra. Its nice.

I adore Beatrice (Beatrix) and Matilda of your other names.

My favourite is Frances

Evie- would use Evangeline and Evie as Nn.

I also like Josephine, Beatrix, Hazel, Matilda & Pearl.

Other suggestion Millicent, Winifred & Ophelie.

How about Genevieve as a full name for Evie?

Esther - I love this name although it sounds a bit heavy

Hattie - very cute, but I don't like Harriet and Henrietta, but maybe I will like them better as they get popular. They will get very popular, I think. Especially Harriet.

Julia - so elegant and timeless, also love Juliet

Evie - Love Evelyn nn Evie

Hazel - so cute

Josephine - regal, one of my faves, too!

Violet - My mom-in-law and dad were down on our choice for our son's name Peter. We didn't listen to them. A few months after Peter was born, my mother-in-law said she loved the name Peter. Just worry about what you and your husband or partner think about names. If you let everyone in the fam help decide, then it's harder and harder for the two of you to be really happy with the name choice.

Ruby - love

Adeline - don't like as much as some of the others

Vera - I really love this also, I pronounce it Vee-rah. I love it, too. Can be short for Veronica, one of my very, very faves!

others I like... Frances nn Francie, Beatrice, Matilda, Pearl, - I love all these names so much!

What do you think of these names? What are your favorites and why?

My fave is Veronica because I love names that start with "V" so much right now. Veronica Pearl!

Esther - I'm a big fan. It's a pretty name that would be so sweet on a little girl, and Esther is one of my favorite biblical heroines!

Hattie - Oh my gracious, I think Hattie is precious! With a substantial middle name, it wouldn't feel quite so nicknamey.

Julia - I'm with you, a bit boring.

Evie - I love Evangeline, Genevieve and Evelyn as full name options.

Hazel - LOVE it; one of the sweetest ladies I know is named Hazel, and she makes me just adore this name.

Josephine - a very regal name, and Josie/Jojo are cute nn options!

Violet - pretty, but I like this one better as a mn

Ruby - super trendy; I doubt she'd be the only Ruby in her class, so if that's a concern for you...

Adeline - It's pretty, but I'm not crazy about it

Vera - I'm not there yet, but it's growing on me.

From your others, I have to say that I adore Frances!

Out of all of them, my favorites are Frances, Hazel and Hattie, but I like very old-fashioned white-haired lady names. :) I just find them refreshing in a sea of Graces, Emmas, Olivias and Annas.

I don't weigh what family thinks too much. I mean, I'd hear them out because they might have a point ("Really, I just don't think it's a good idea to name him Lavendar Sunshine."), but particularly if they're past the baby-naming phase of their life, they sometimes don't realize that old lady names are quite fashionable. :) They might be afraid that Beatrice is going to be harrassed on the playground when in reality there will probably be more than one little girl with that name!

lola Guest

Esther - I think Esther's pretty. I have trouble saying Esther, always feels lispy coming out of my mouth. But I can see why she appeals. Not my favorite Biblical queen either (her predecessor, Vashti is) but again, Esther is appealing.

Hattie - Too bad you don't like Harriet or Henrietta. I'm a huge fan of Henrietta and she's on our own lists, but Hattie as a standalone ranked on the SSA charts from 1880 to 1969, so I'm going to be the dissenting vioce here, as much as I dislike a nickname as a full name (gives the kid no options), it is usable as such. I'm just a big fan of having options. Way huge fan of options.

Julia - Julia's the only girls Jul- name I love. It's a bit plain, but really, in this age of the uberfrill, plain is completely refreshing! Julia's timeless. I loathe Juliet. Rather echoing Shakespeare himself here: If those stupid kids had listened to their parents, none of this would have happened. I think Romeo & Juliet are stupid gits. And I just can't seriously see a grwon Juliet. It's too prissy feeling for me. But Julia? Stunningly simple!

Evie - Eve, Genevieve & Evelyn are the three that pop to mind instantly. A little more digging gives me Godeleve (medieval name), Guinevere (a silly, unfaithful queen?Not my sort of role model), Beverly, Neve, Severine & Evette all show up in searches. Maybe something there will appeal.

Hazel - I think you're dead on, feeling wise. Hazel really is sweet & refreshing again. Does everyone forget about Julia Roberts' Hazel Patricia? What an absolute cutie! Show them pictures of her if your family can't picture a little Hazel. I think it's beautiful.

Josephine - I adore Josephine, but I'm biased, mine will be 5 in May. I think it's regal in full, breaks down in a dozen pretty, feminine nicknames without resorting to the boyish Jo/Joey and will age incredibly well. I have yet to meet one in real life under 70! But I know of several small Josephines online. And just to annoy your mom a bit, you could name her Josephine and call her Posie!

Violet - Too bad your mom hates Violet. She had her chance at naming and if you love Violet, use it and don't look back. Just keep saying "It's my child, I'll name it what I want" Tough nuts to Mom. :) (My Mom would be horrified at my Josephine's name, it was her older sisters name and as such, an old lady name to her!)

Ruby - I firmly like Ruby, it's on my own lists as a middle to honor me, a July baby. I think Ruby's spunky, sweet and pretty. Love her shade of red and Roo is too cute a possible nickname, no? :)

Adeline - I see what you mean about the popular sound. I firmly like Adeline, but then, I was serenaded by "Sweet Adeline" back when I was single, so I'm soft on Adeline. I'd nickname an Adeline of mine Ada (ay-da) not Addie. or maybe Lina (leena). But definitely not Addie. That sound is already too prevalent!

Vera - How else is there to say Vera? I've always said veer-ah myself. I like it, quite a bit. Maybe Guinevere, nickname Vera would work for you?

others I like... Frances nn Francie, Beatrice, Matilda, Pearl. - I firmly like all of those too! Especially Frances Pearl!

I think you're getting it, yes, we all want them to like our choices but it is your (and your DH's) baby, not theirs and you get to name it whatever you want, they'll just have to get over it! :D Really, especailly if they're past childbearing years, they won't know about how fashionable these old lady/old man names are and how they fit in these days. it's all in where you're standing, I think. If it makes you feel any better, my kids all have old man/old lady names and while no one liked them at first, they loved them once it was attached to our kids. Go with your gut.

Take all their "advice" with a grain of salt and then do what your heart tells you to. You have a marvelous list here and really can't go wrong with anything on it!

I think Adeline is a beautiful name. A friend of mine recently named her daughter Adeline, and receives many compliments. I am personally not a fan of the old fashioned names, such as Esther, but that is only my opinion. I agree with what others have said- if you love the name, use it! Don't get too caught up in what other people will think.

I am a teacher, and there is a little girl in the classroom next to mine whose name is Evanthia. She goes by Evie. Just a suggestion :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions/thoughts!!! I love hearing- your ideas and opinions... I'm still narrowing down my list, but I just thought I'd let you all know that I appreciate it! I'll be sure to let you know my top picks when I figure them out... in the meantime I'll be here thinking a lot... :)